12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throw all the solutions into a blender over the last several days and I couldn't understand how Michigan wouldn't be the big winner with this one.  Seeing the euro finally show it, makes sense to me.

Too bad there wasn't any true arctic air in the neighborhood or this would have been one hell of a share the wealth storm....instead it's all about being in the right spot when the cold air rushes in, before the precip exits....Michigan is in the best area for that. 

I'm riding the euro for one simple reason.   It had the bomb, lost it, and brought it back.   The euro isn't perfect but no way it looses it again.   Now it's just details of track, strength and surface features....will be fun watching the other models start to congeal into a solution.   Either way, an interesting xmas in the lakes and OV.

Selfishly I am hoping you are correct.  Looks like the wind may be the bigger deal with this one than snow.

YYZ geographically in a nice spot for comma-head snows on the 0z EURO once the storm starts to wrap up, but we get downsloped like crazy with those strong WNW winds.

Yeah, I understand. I'm thinking less about the amount of snow and more about the combination of snow and wind. For anyone who has never been in a TRUE blizzard, trust me, it's something you'll never forget.

Yeah, I understand. I'm thinking less about the amount of snow and more about the combination of snow and wind. For anyone who has never been in a TRUE blizzard, trust me, it's something you'll never forget.

Another thing about blizzards.  Most of the time true blizzard conditions in a storm will ebb and flow.  For instance you will get 20 minutes of blizzard criteria, followed by an hour lull, back and forth like that.   Most of the blizzard warning events I've been thru since '78 fell into that type of situation.

The '78 blizzard was relentless, there must have been 12 hours straight of relentless winds....the roar lasted all day, when it was done it was done.  I think that is another aspect that makes that blizzard so unique/severe.

I'm in a bad spot for power outages. If someone passes gas in my neighborhood the power goes out. I guess that's what u get for living in the boonies.

Not much better here in the city. I lost power for significant periods of time 4 times this year I think, but that's probably because the city's power grid is slowly crumbling because it's ancient.

Can't ever remember losing power for more than an hour or two before like the past decade or so.

Not much better here in the city. I lost power for significant periods of time 4 times this year I think, but that's probably because the city's power grid is slowly crumbling because it's ancient.

Can't ever remember losing power for more than an hour or two before like the past decade or so.

That's probably part of the reason.

It would it nice if we could get Detroit Edison to invest in underground wiring for everyone.

I'm in a bad spot for power outages. If someone passes gas in my neighborhood the power goes out. I guess that's what u get for living in the boonies.

I wouldn't trade it one bit!!!  I actually used to lose power a lot more when I was in White Lake.  Oddly my current much more remote but has been much better power wise (knock on wood).  A storm like some of the models are showing it would only be wise to have a bunch of gas ready!!!  Last pre-Christmas ice storm I was without power for 6-7 hours but my neighbors across the street out for 5 days (they are on a different line).

They don't want to bury the lines as it would reduce OT during storms.  The workers make good $$$ with every major storm that hits.

6z GEFS with an increasing number of members who are aggressive with early takeover and cyclogenesis by the southern low. It's pretty important if you are looking for decent cold sector qpf (especially further west) and it is reflecting nicely in the mean. The 6z pGFS seems to support what the 6z GEFS are selling as well.

0z

image.png

image.png

6z

image.png

image.png

They don't want to bury the lines as it would reduce OT during storms. The workers make good $$$ with every major storm that hits.

Well besides that, it would be very expensive for the initial burying of the lines itself.

In the wake of the auto industry's collapse, I don't think Michigan's taxpayers would be too thrilled about funding the project, even if it does lead to long-term cost savings...

Well besides that, it would be a very expensive for the initial burying of the wiring itself.

In the wake of the auto industry's collapse, I don't think Michigan's taxpayers would be too thrilled about funding the project, even if it does lead to long-term cost savings...

isn't there another thread about Detroit's collapse on the internet you guys can take this to?

isn't there another thread about Detroit's collapse on the internet you guys can take this to?

IMO, it's a bit unrealistic to not expect occasional off-topic posts in a thread, which in this case stemmed from the probability of power outages with this system. It wasn't like several pages of completely unrelated and continuous post.

But in any event, hopefully the 12z runs continue the trend from the 00z runs with this storm.

I like the fact that the southern low is now trending to be the main player, but once again this illustrates how hard it has been to buy a nice storm in the last few years, if it's not one thing it's another.  No 8"+ storm imby since GHD (I forgot the total for the late February 2013 storm though, so that might be the exception).

So it seems the Par-GFS is the farthest west among guidance. The 6z occludes the low over Northern Lake Michigan at 969mb. Would be a good track for the western Lakes. Otherwise at this time I'd favor the central and northern Lakes for any appreciable snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of power outages: I moved over the summer (not far, only a 1/2 mile east of my last place) however, in the old neighborhood, power outages were rare, with the exception of the two we had in June and July of 2011.  The grid we were on included a large retirement/nursing home complex, so whenever power went out, we were switched to a new grid, and lights were back on in less than 2 minutes.  The neighborhood I live in now is on no such grid, so, power outages happen, to quote one neighbor "all of the time whenever there is a storm" .

The variations of the position of the low I am finding interesting.  For now, the forecast give us rain, possibly some wind, and some snow showers on the back end. The track I saw this morning, takes the low over or, just north of Chicago, which will definitely bring us rain, as temps will be above freezing, as it stands now.

Archived