Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh i know but still dread seeing that track..

Will be interesting to see what the euro ensembles do?

And they too are on the decline..

The problem is two fold..

The northern energy does not dig ( go south ) far enough and so the southern energy does not get picked up quick enough allowing it to go further east before it round the base and head up ( east of the apps ) for a later meeting/phase. A number of ensemble members do still show what the 12z euro had but nothing like the 12z ensembles had.

And they too are on the decline..

The problem is two fold..

The northern energy does not dig ( go south ) far enough and so the southern energy does not get picked up quick enough allowing it to go further east before it round the base and head up ( east of the apps ) for a later meeting/phase. A number of ensemble members do still show what the 12z euro had but nothing like the 12z ensembles had.

well at least it's warm and a rainstorm when it does finally phase.  I'd puke if this turned into an HECS.

the bomb transitioning into a glorified northern-tracking clipper was the most likely 'what could go wrong' scenario.   Not shocked.

for now on, unless the ggem is on board, I'm not taking the train....that's twice in a row now :lol:  

If this storm goes the Canadian way, I'll be with you on using it as the canary in the coal mine.

If it is storm fail, the kicker could do some damage.  In the meantime, I haven't given up hope for a near-bomb.

EDIT: I haven't looked, but I'll bet the New York weenies are drooling over the GGEM. It destroys a portion of eastern NY/NE PA.

If this storm goes the Canadian way, I'll be with you on using it as the canary in the coal mine.

If it is storm fail, the kicker could do some damage.  In the meantime, I haven't given up hope for a near-bomb.

I hope you're right, but from my weenie anecdotal experience, when models depict a phased powerhouse in the long range, and then loose it, it's usually lost for good.

One thing to take away from the 0z GFS/EURO is that both do eventually get the southern stream involved, just much later than yesterday's 12z runs. It's more of a timing issue than a fundamental shift in how the storm is going to unfold. For 7 days out, neither model has shown what I think is flagrant discontinuity.

One thing to take away from the 0z GFS/EURO is that both do eventually get the southern stream involved, just much later than yesterday's 12z runs. It's more of a timing issue than a fundamental shift in how the storm is going to unfold. For 7 days out, neither model has shown what I think is flagrant discontinuity.

The 0z EC ensembles agree. Most members are delayed but not denied in terms of phasing. The mean takes the SLP centre from W AL to cinc to Barrie and up near Val D'or. They are clearly struggling as that is a big move from the 12z run.

True that. Doesn't it seem like we are constantly battling phasing timing in these setups?

EDIT: I haven't looked, but I'll bet the New York weenies are drooling over the GGEM. It destroys a portion of eastern NY/NE PA.

Canadian was the ONLY model to show a whiff to the southeast and OTS like 7 days out for this weekend, so to me, it is not to be ignored completely.

Agree 100%. You have both camps...those who are going to see the most extreme solution (ie the Euro) and simply assume that it will be snow even though the verbatum shows majority rain, basically wishcasting their way to a '78 blizzard redux. Then of course you have those thinking it is just a fantasy non-event, or will indeed be rain because the cold supposedly isnt there (even though strong storms can make their own cold to an extent).

There is so much agreement, Im sure SOME kind of storm will be here, and regardless of what the storm does, I am liking the timing at this juncture (again, even timing is subject to speeding up or slowing down, perhaps even a full day). Even if it is a rainstorm, chances appear high that wraparound snow and LES will be a great bet, and that would put us right smack dab on Christmas Day. We have 4 more months to get snowstorms, but only TWO days (Dec 24-25) when 90% of the public joins us in wanting snow :lol:

There is no doubt that there is so much agreement, and this is looking like a big system.  At this point, I am looking at rain, wind, and some back-end snow.  Things can change, we may get a bit of snow on the front end, maybe not.  However, we never do well in these parts with ran-to-snow events, with cold air, and wrap around snow on the back end.  That is why I am looking at this as that sort of event.  Tuesday is supposed to be rain/snow mix.  Heading in to Tuesday, temps around here are supposed to be somewhere in or near the 40's, and then they start falling Tuesday.  Now, the forecast has changed a bit, with snow showers being forecast, when yesterday, they were forecasting for a dry but potentially windy Wednesday.  So, yeah, this thing will change, and what we wind up with remains to be seen.

diagnostics from last night...

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
138 AM EST THU DEC 18 2014

VALID DEC 18/0000 UTC THRU DEC 21/1200 UTC

SHORTWAVES ENTERING THE NWRN U.S. THROUGH SUN MORNING
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PREFERENCE: NON 00Z CMC COMPROMISE
CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

THE FAST MID FLOW ENTERING THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST AND NORTHERN CA
MAKES IDENTIFYING INDIVIDUAL SHORT WAVES IN THE FLOW DIFFICULT BY
SAT/SUN. HOWEVER...SOME OF THE LARGER SCALE DIFFERENCES CAN BE
RESOLVED...WITH THE 00Z NAM/GFS SHOWING SLIGHTLY FLATTER FLOW INTO
THE PAC NW...WITH THE 00Z ECMWF/UKMET MORE AMPLIFIED. A BLEND OF
THESE TWO CAMPS SEEMS APPROPRIATE AT THIS TIME...WHILE THE 00Z CMC
APPEARS TO BE LEAST SUPPORTED IN A WEAKER...MORE
NORTHERN...PLACEMENT OF MID-LEVEL TROUGHING AND VORTICITY ENERGY
ENTERING THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST...UNLIKE THE ENSEMBLE MEANS.

The storm just stalls out in Northern Ontario and it becomes an all out blizzard around Hudson bay, lol. It sort of becomes a blocking pattern which may push the second storm behind it further south. 

Models are doing a poor job handling the shortwaves and as a result were getting some wacky solutions. I'd rather wait till we get some decent sampling before jumping onto any model solution. 

Archived