• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

Really nice wraparound signal still showing up on this run of the GFS, which verbatim mean that areas that miss out initially would get some accumulation Wednesday evening/night. Usual caveats about wraparound snows apply. I'd say this trough has a slightly higher chance than usual to produce some appreciable wraparound given slow progression northeast of the ULL and it not becoming vertically stacked until Xmas eve night.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a fascinating storm to watch unfold in the modeling.... and I am inclined to say the Westward trend is probably not quite done yet.  Strongly negative tilted wave/phasing argues for this to be further left/West than what is being modeled.  That said... I am not really all that impressed with the thermal structure of this system... the one thing it may have going for it though is dynamic cooling with such a rapidly deepening system... and that may keep some places that are looking marginal on the Eastern envelope of things in the game... although with the cruddy antecedent airmass ahead of it that might be hard to do.  Lots of things still on the table here with this one and a couple runs that are trending better for Northern Illinois and Wisconsin will have to be watched and see if its just momentary blips or if its a true trend.  Would like to see the Euro suite fall more in line though. 

This is a fascinating storm to watch unfold in the modeling.... and I am inclined to say the Westward trend is probably not quite done yet.  Strongly negative tilted wave/phasing argues for this to be further left/West than what is being modeled.  That said... I am not really all that impressed with the thermal structure of this system... the one thing it may have going for it though is dynamic cooling with such a rapidly deepening system... and that may keep some places that are looking marginal on the Eastern envelope of things in the game... although with the cruddy antecedent airmass ahead of it that might be hard to do.  Lots of things still on the table here with this one and a couple runs that are trending better for Northern Illinois and Wisconsin will have to be watched and see if its just momentary blips or if its a true trend.  Would like to see the Euro suite fall more in line though. 

Do you buy the NNW turn at the end?  Going from SC Indiana to the west shores of Lake Michigan just south of Muskegon?

This is a fascinating storm to watch unfold in the modeling.... and I am inclined to say the Westward trend is probably not quite done yet. Strongly negative tilted wave/phasing argues for this to be further left/West than what is being modeled. That said... I am not really all that impressed with the thermal structure of this system... the one thing it may have going for it though is dynamic cooling with such a rapidly deepening system... and that may keep some places that are looking marginal on the Eastern envelope of things in the game... although with the cruddy antecedent airmass ahead of it that might be hard to do. Lots of things still on the table here with this one and a couple runs that are trending better for Northern Illinois and Wisconsin will have to be watched and see if its just momentary blips or if its a true trend. Would like to see the Euro suite fall more in line though.

Good post. Felt the same about the thermal structure given the marginal antecedent airmass though latest GFS op run seems a bit more impressive with the thermal gradient. Completely agree that dynamic cooling is likely to play a role in the cold sector of this storm.

12z PGFS shows a weaker storm with much less snow in the cold sector, similar to the 00z PGFS.  Interestingly the PGFS had shown runs similar to the 27km GFS for several runs.  Seems they've sort of switched solutions lol.  With the Euro still much further east I'm not too confident about anything yet.  If I lived east of where the 12z GFS showed the heavy snow I wouldn't be throwing in the towel yet.

Looking at soundings across northern IL from the 12z GFS..

DKB remains pretty much all snow through the event.

DPA starts as snow and changes to liquid during the day then switching back to snow after 0z and a pretty decent DGZ to work with.

ORD is mostly rain and doesn't changeover till about 3z but that nice slug of mid-level moisture moves in and it snows most of the night with the wrap around snows. 

What is unreal about that map is that there is not one location, even up in Canada, that is below freezing.

Well, I think we should expect that with a bombing low as modeled by the op GFS. But here's your trailing cold air...not that's it super impressive or anything. Would've been nice if we had that closer to being ingested into the system...but, oh well.

I'm not taking it to the bank or anything but this one checks a couple key rain boxes, notably a garbage antecedent airmass, probability of a massive warm tongue associated with the strongly negatively tilted trough, and sloppy look at 850. On the plus side, good things can happen when a low undergoing rapid deepening cuts NNE just to your east.

This is a rain storm for MBY, I think you can take that to the bank. I'm supposed to be in McHenry Co for the holidays where things might be a bit more interesting.

Someone hack your computer?

Wow, radically different solution on the 12z GGEM compared to previous run.  Bottom line, don't trust anything yet.

Yeah models are all over the place at this point.  Who knows what the Euro will come out with.  Wouldn't be surprised to see another <965mb bomb over Detroit.

12z GEM at 96hrs.  Not much to speak of regarding wintry precip at that point. 

I_nw_g1_EST_2014122012_096.png

Archived