joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM was the first model to suggest a northwest track.  I clearly remember a GFS run about 60-72 hours out that didn't have much of anything.  Other than that, it's kinda tough to remember what each model did.

I actually read through most of that old 12/1/06 thread from Eastern a few weeks back.  Interesting read. 

I'm guessing the Euro will be more amped than the last few runs, with something closer to the GEM/GFS, but not as amped at PGFS.  We'll find out shortly. 

Looks like the GGEM - with the deformation band through MI. Marginal surface temps again. 

982mb just southeast of Toledo at 84 hour.

Through 12z 25th.

attachicon.gifecmwf_tsnow_ne_17.png

I'd be fine with that. Home base gets 2-3in of snow and a white Christmas. It really has been quite comical watching the solutions go back and forth over the last few days...

We get 47 here Tuesday, and temps then falling on Wednesday, with possible snow., and then remain above freezing through Friday, with a chance of snow again, and then temps falling through the weekend, going in to next week in the mid 20's.

As far as this system goes, If we get snow, it will most likely be a sloppy inch or two

Northern stream piece of energy on the new NAM cuts the low nearly to KS City.

12z model diagnostic discussion mentioned that the NAM and GFS had issues with that at initialization

THE NAM AND GFS BECOME MORE AMPLIFIED WITH THE UPPER-LEVELSHORTWAVE ACROSS THE NORTHERN PLAINS BY EARLY MONDAY RELATIVE TOTHE NON-NCEP GUIDANCE. THE PARALLEL GFS IS LESS AMPLIFIED THAN THEOPERATIONAL VERSION AT THIS TIME...LENDING SOME CREDENCE TO THENON-NCEP CAMP OF SOLUTIONS. THE DIFFERENCES APPEAR TO STEM FROMTHE FAST-MOVING LOW-AMPLITUDE SHORTWAVE MOVING ONSHORE IN THENORTHWEST THIS MORNING. THE NAM (AND THE GFS TO A LESSER EXTENT)INITIALIZED 500 HPA HEIGHTS A LITTLE TOO LOW IN THE VICINITY OFTHE FEATURES THIS MORNING. THIS COULD IMPACT ITS RESULTANTSOLUTION WITH A MORE AMPLIFIED TROUGH BY THE TIME THE SHORTWAVEREACHES THE NORTHERN PLAINS. 

The 12z GFS and 12z ECMWF are approximately 12mb different for the low over Toledo in 84 hours (78 hours for the GFS). I am comparing slightly different time frames.  And it's still just rain for NW Ohio! What is wrong with the models these days? This thread is about 4 days long (or possibly more) and I still don't know what will happen in northern Indiana.

The 12z GFS and 12z ECMWF are approximately 12mb different for the low over Toledo in 84 hours (78 hours for the GFS). I am comparing slightly different time frames.  And it's still just rain for NW Ohio! What is wrong with the models these days? This thread is about 4 days long (or possibly more) and I still don't know what will happen in northern Indiana.

If there's 2 things the models struggle with, it's fast flow and highly amplified patterns. 

Archived