joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's almost as if that pattern change locked in until the March 93 storm and cold and snowy 93-94 winter.

Save for the end of 1989...there was no winter in this region from March 1987 through January 1993...just short of six years. Winter resumed in February 1993...with a cold and reasonably snowy month.

Sorry to do this to everyone, but I think it's time to throw in the towel on the winter. While we may see a light event or two or three, the threat of moderate or greater events is becoming less and less likely. The PAC jet is too strong and we cannot get the Atlantic to cooperate in anyway. I've heard enough about stratospheric warming.

Sorry to do this to everyone, but I think it's time to throw in the towel on the winter. While we may see a light event or two or three, the threat of moderate or greater events is becoming less and less likely. The PAC jet is too strong and we cannot get the Atlantic to cooperate in anyway. I've heard enough about stratospheric warming.

I don't have a good feeling either but seems too early to throw in the towel. It could flip a month from now, give us 2 or 3 good events and get us near our seasonal average. A week ago things looked good..then the next day bad again..then everyone was back on board. Basically going further out than 10 days we just have no idea what's going to happen.

I don't have a good feeling either but seems too early to throw in the towel. It could flip a month from now, give us 2 or 3 good events and get us near our seasonal average. A week ago things looked good..then the next day bad again..then everyone was back on board. Basically going further out than 10 days we just have no idea what's going to happen.

give me two good weeks and another late snowfall...That happened in 1995 and a few mediocre winters...

give me two good weeks and another late snowfall...That happened in 1995 and a few mediocre winters...

95 was one decent storm. Only an 83 like blizzard can save this winter. We definitely seem to be in an all or nothing phase though. Even the awful 80s had nothing as bad as 01-02 or 11-12. I had at least one snow day every winter

That chart is really remarkable. In the past 20 years we've had some incredibly snowy periods yet 4 out of the top 10 least snowiest also occurred in the past 20 years. Correct analysis of increase of standard deviation regarding snowfall.

Really amazing how a pattern around here could be the difference between 40-50"+ and under 10". Just how awful does a pattern have to be when we can't even manage 5" in 3+ months. I've seen a few squalls drop a few inches in a hour or less.

I disagree about closing the book on winter because there's far more cold out there than years like 01/02 and especially 11/12. Given the active jet stream along with much more cold air available I would be shocked if we fell into that bottom 10 category by the end of winter. You can't close the book on winter before the ball even drops.

the ol' reverse psychology on December 31st  after a below normal December snowfall at NYC 

Very extreme variation from year to year since the early 90's with some of the biggest duds following the best years.

93-94.....53.4

94-95.....11.8

95-96.....75.6

96-97.....10.0

10-11.....61.9

11-12.....7.4

13-14.....57.4

14-15.....?

We've had many close calls to being completely shutout for the winter too, 91-92, 94-95, 97-98, 01-02 all very close, 91-92 entered March with 0.7 inches I think and the other 2 years were one storm that easily could have not happened if something went wrong.  I still think 72-73 will eventually be broken.

We've had many close calls to being completely shutout for the winter too, 91-92, 94-95, 97-98, 01-02 all very close, 91-92 entered March with 0.7 inches I think and the other 2 years were one storm that easily could have not happened if something went wrong. I still think 72-73 will eventually be broken.

72-73 is tuff to beat. Honestly I think harder to beat then the other side with 95-96. Our overall climate has become wetter there is no denying that. So all it takes is precip and normally cold January or February airmass and you beat 72-73. It's allot harder for that to not happen then to happen. And this is not that winter there is cold air around and plenty I moisture so If you roll the dice enough times it eventually happens

72-73 is tuff to beat. Honestly I think harder to beat then the other side with 95-96. Our overall climate has become wetter there is no denying that. So all it takes is precip and normally cold January or February airmass and you beat 72-73. It's allot harder for that to not happen then to happen. And this is not that winter there is cold air around and plenty I moisture so If you roll the dice enough times it eventually happens

01-02 was very close. 97-98 was saved by a late March noreaster that flipped to snow (wasn't predicted). Otherwise we could have had under 1" that winter

Ok, time to be positive people and I know that can be hard to do given the 'atrocious pattern' we are in. On the bright side...el nino winters supposedly begin late from what I recall. We have 2 solid months to cash in. It cant really get much worse....I mean it can but we are going to bottom out and reach the worst of this soon....and then, it will be time for things to start getting better. Remember, it can only get better after some of the mid-month torch progs. Keep reminding ourselves, it can only get better.

Happy New Year!!

01-02 was very close. 97-98 was saved by a late March noreaster that flipped to snow (wasn't predicted). Otherwise we could have had under 1" that winter

Exactly enough dice rolling and it happened.

11-12 down in long beach was pretty damn close too with about an inch during the October storm and 2 during January.

Ok, time to be positive people and I know that can be hard to do given the 'atrocious pattern' we are in. On the bright side...el nino winters supposedly begin late from what I recall. We have 2 solid months to cash in. It cant really get much worse....I mean it can but we are going to bottom out and reach the worst of this soon....and then, it will be time for things to start getting better. Remember, it can only get better after some of the mid-month torch progs. Keep reminding ourselves, it can only get better.

Happy New Year!!

This El Nino is barely even in existence right now, it may be yet another reason we're having problems.

Are we even in the Nino yet? Or are we in neutral enso?

Weather and also life would be dull without hope. Just don't set expectations too high in this pattern. I am hoping the clipper trends stronger and we get some nicely timed storms coming from Southern energy.

I'm just a big weenie and hedging against disappointment.

Are we even in the Nino yet? Or are we in neutral enso?

Weather and also life would be dull without hope. Just don't set expectations too high in this pattern. I am hoping the clipper trends stronger and we get some nicely timed storms coming from Southern energy.

It appeared we were definitely headed there for a time but the stall was hit again, now it all depends who you talk to and what thresholds you use but many argue its neutral.

Archived