joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I glanced at a 7-day forecast for NYC on one of the TV weather stations and I became very enthused and encouraged as I saw the arctic blast next week. So, I had to log on to these forums because I thought the January forecast changed with a -NAO a -AO finally developing towards mid-month. But, I became quickly depressed when I signed onto these forums as I learned that we will still torch 97-98 style after the 10th through the end of the month with no shot of snowfall.

This isn't true at all

Guest Pamela

So I glanced at a 7-day forecast for NYC on one of the TV weather stations and I became very enthused and encouraged as I saw the arctic blast next week. So, I had to log on to these forums because I thought the January forecast changed with a -NAO a -AO finally developing towards mid-month. But, I became quickly depressed when I signed onto these forums as I learned that we will still torch 97-98 style after the 10th through the end of the month with no shot of snowfall.

I've tried to stress on this board that the various indices are forecast tools...not an end in themselves...and one should not be ruled by them.  Moreover, knowing precisely where *some* of those indices are going more than a few days in advance is invariably going to be problematic...obviously...if you have a positive sea surface temperature anomaly off the coast of Peru...the El Nino those warm waters will manifest is not going to evaporate quickly...but some of the other indices are highly variable and far more unpredictable. 

With weather, more than most other scientific endeavors, I suggest one stay away from speaking in absolute terms...as the number of variables in play are so numerous and so potentially changeable that the one thing which is absolutely certain is the lack of absolute certainty. 

Guest Pamela

The thing I love most about many local mets is their total inability to think outside the box; they are rigidly devoted to one dimensional outlooks with misunderstood climatology at the forefront of their shortcomings. In fairness, I have not watched a tv news weather broadcast in over a decade, so I may be out of step when it comes to the current crop of on air weather people.
I'll cite an example: When an offshore cyclone with plenty of cold air is forecast to move east of the region and the form of precipitation is not in question, the standard forecast will invariably be "heaviest amounts over the Twin Forks of Long Island & SE CT"...this tends to verify about as often as the Jets win the football championship...and yet, the notion...along with the low probability of verifying forecast...will be trotted out the next time a similar scenario presents itself. I'm not going to go into the reasons why this specific forecast seldom comes to pass (though things like the stabilizing impact of all the surrounding water are factors)...but the point is, no attempt to learn from past errors seems to manifest and the mistake is repeated time w/o number due to either intellectual laziness or just some innate fear of steering away from long held & "safe" forecasting axioms that have long proven themselves utterly w/o merit.

..haven't heard from earthlight regarding current state and what the future holds..

bluewave has been spot on and if he's right this cold snap will NOT last too long.

I know this keeps coming up, but.....by "cold snap" I guess we are referring to bitterly cold air and by it not lasting long, I guess we are referring to a return to near normal temperatures ? Near normal temperatures in January are cold with highs in the 30s and lows in the teens to 20s for most of us. It seems as if there is an active pattern ahead and with temperatures near normal in January, that is surely cold enough for snow chances. Putting aside the terrible December we clearly had, January looks good. The perfect combination of freezing cold air and huge coastals? Probably not. But sufficiently cold and active ? I think so

Guest Pamela

I know this keeps coming up, but.....by "cold snap" I guess we are referring to bitterly cold air and by it not lasting long, I guess we are referring to a return to near normal temperatures ? Near normal temperatures in January are cold with highs in the 30s and lows in the teens to 20s for most of us. It seems as if there is an active pattern ahead and with temperatures near normal in January, that is surely cold enough for snow chances. Putting aside the terrible December we clearly had, January looks good. The perfect combination of freezing cold air and huge coastals? Probably not. But sufficiently cold and active ? I think so

The vast majority of January snowfalls in NYC are 4 inches or less...February would be a better candidate for a larger (8 inches or more) event. 

Guest Pamela

The vast majority of January snowfalls in NYC are 4 inches or less...February would be a better candidate for a larger (8 inches or more) event. 

For example, from January 31, 1966 - January 5, 1996...30 years...Central Park had only 3 January snowstorms of 6 inches or more...in other words, one every 10 years on average. 

Its a shame people keep leaving, Its good contributors too that end up leaving. I dont get it. I really dont know where the negative attacks come from because the discussion on these boards are about weather, which we have no control over whatsoever.  It is so much fun going back over previous storm threads like sandy and boxing day ect when models take and give storms. Back then it was awesome waking up to 10 -15 pages of threads when an awesome overnight run happened. Hopefully it will happen like that again. We all want snow and big storms but its not like we can make them magically appear. Getting on someone like doorman because he keeps posting GFS showing the pacjet blasting the west coast , or bluewave explaing via the Euro what is negative about the pattern is just plain wrong. 

Its a shame people keep leaving, Its good contributors too that end up leaving. I dont get it. I really dont know where the negative attacks come from because the discussion on these boards are about weather, which we have no control over whatsoever.  It is so much fun going back over previous storm threads like sandy and boxing day ect when models take and give storms. Back then it was awesome waking up to 10 -15 pages of threads when an awesome overnight run happened. Hopefully it will happen like that again. We all want snow and big storms but its not like we can make them magically appear. Getting on someone like doorman because he keeps posting GFS showing the pacjet blasting the west coast , or bluewave explaing via the Euro what is negative about the pattern is just plain wrong. 

I didn't really see any negative attacks against bluewave

Did bluewave leave the board? I hope not

Dont think so but his posts from earlier seem to have disappeared

Only his quotes are left...hope he's still here.

I am still here. For the time being, I will focus more on the weather events coming up through 120 hrs.

It seems like speculation beyond 5 days creates  too much anger from some posters especially when

the winter gets off to such a disappointing start compared to expectations. I love the weather and

climate too much to get into debates about long range model solutions that may or may not happen

anyway. It's never my intention to cause disputes in the threads which takes away from the

appreciation of all things weather and climate. So I removed my posts that seemed to be

angering some to keep the peace in the thread. When you think about it, it's really not worth

it debating model solutions past 5 days that have lower skill anyway. 

In general something has happened over the last two years or so i guess. Still have no idea what happened in the philly forum with Tom and the others. Hopefully everyone comes back . I dont know why people cant ignore a post or two from someone if the dont agree. Most of us have been reading and posting since wwb or eastern and like the models you learn biases whether good or bad of posters them selves. 

I am still here. For the time being, I will focus more on the weather events coming up through 120 hrs.

It seems like speculation beyond 5 days creates too much anger from some posters especially when

the winter gets off to such a disappointing start compared to expectations. I love the weather and

climate too much to get into debates about long range model solutions that may or may not happen

anyway. It's never my intention to cause disputes in the threads which takes away from the

appreciation of all things weather and climate. So I removed my posts that seemed to be

angering some to keep the peace in the thread. When you think about it, it's really not worth

You have the right to an opinion. I for one love reading your posts. They are always well thought out.

I don't trust any model past 60-72 hrs this year. I also don't agree with your warm January prediction but at least you laid your thoughts out coherently and backed by science.

Edit: hate auto correct

It seems like speculation beyond 5 days creates too much anger from some posters especially when

Chris your stuff is great. None of the post are remotely viewed as a dispute. The opinions are great, you are always on point and we only differ on minutia but that makes for a better weather board.

But we like the LR ideas. We get to see the differences and I think that's a good thing my man

Chris your stuff is great. None of the post are remotely viewed as a dispute. The opinions are great, you are always on point and we only differ on minutia but that makes for a better weather board.

But we like the LR ideas. We get to see the differences and I think that's a good thing my man

Yup if everyone had the same opinion, this board would be a snoozefest.

Agree as well.  But I think there should be a long range thread and short/medium range thread. 

It seems like speculation beyond 5 days creates  too much anger from some posters especially when

Why remove posts? That's what the forum is for...to talk about weather. Unless, the posts are degrading or insulting...but I highly doubt that coming from you. You have some great posts man. There is no right or wrong when discussing the 11-15 day.

Archived