joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep an eye on the MJO my personal opinion until it gets into phases eight or one then that's when I believe we will start seeing our chances of getting better snowstorms right now the European model has it going into The circle and then exiting out into phase 4 which we all know is crappy phase

Ok, fair enough...yes, model guidance was a bit too warm even in the N plains and lakes...and even here. Though you could kind of see how we would avoid the big warmth.

Plains are getting theirs now though...they'll continue rack up the + departures over the next week.

At any rate, hopefully we can get a threat or two in here before Christmas...still not a particularly cold pattern coming in the week leading into Christmas, but it might be cold enough.

MEX at Rapid City has 68F on Friday, that's good for +30F on the Max end I believe.

Had no idea you could measure wave heights from space.  I'm curious how accurate it is.

From what I could find, this particular satellite uses a Ka-band altimeter (AltiKa) that is accurate to 8mm at a 2km spatial resolution. Older methods have relied on less accurate radar-based methods that are subject to significant attenuation of the signal. AltiKa has a high error rate pretty much anywhere there is rain, especially heavy rain. I couldn't find a figure for how high the error rate is in areas of rain, but my impression is that in areas of heavy rain (eg tropics) it is useless.

Euro doesn't show much of anything for next week...it shows some very light precip/snow behind the front almost on an inverted torugh.

The 12/21 threat looks like it's not going to have much cold air around, so I think we're going to have to get lucky.

Euro doesn't show much of anything for next week...it shows some very light precip/snow behind the front almost on an inverted torugh.

The 12/21 threat looks like it's not going to have much cold air around, so I think we're going to have to get lucky.

How would "lucky" happen? Where would the cold (enough) air come from and would it be cold enough from surface to critical areas above? I'm interested in the "how" not the fantasy situation all us "weenies" will contrive no matter what happens.

I don't think we are going to keep what's on the ground Kevin....it's toast very soon. And from what Will is saying, I think the white Xmas ideas are fleeting very fast. Oh well.

I didn't get that at all from what he said. There's another colder storm showing up on the 23-24th . I think chsnces are better than 50/50 of a white one

I didn't get that at all from what he said. There's another colder storm showing up on the 23-24th . I think chsnces are better than 50/50 of a white one

Well I hope you are right?  It would be nice to have some sort of wintry system over the next couple weeks.  Like Scott said, If we live inland, keep an eye open.  Im sure we all will be doing that lol.

Well next week certainly looks boring in the weather department.....maybe we can warm up enough and we can hit the links one last time this year. 

Our next storm threat looks to be sometime around the 21st.  This one has the look of a Miller B coming out of the Gulf.   Will have to see if the threat sticks around on the guidance for a while.

The look post Christmas is encouraging though.  Hope it stays like that and as we near it actually moves nearer in the guidance and doesn't just hang out around day 10 for the next month.

The 12/21 may be marginal. The one after near the 24(if that were to even happen which isn't a lock) may be better. I mean if I lived inland, I would at least maybe keep an eye open.

Yeah I think our best shot at a white Christmas is the storm near or just before Christmas. The threat around the 17th and 18th looks like a non-starter. Maybe we get an inverted trough deal if lucky but that whole setup needs some help right now.

The 12/21 threat looks warm at the moment. But given it is 10 days out, there's plenty of time to keep an eye on that.

Archived