Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

Yeah, that would be fine.

Its a little bit concerning to not see much if any signal for -NAO on LR guidance, which is now extending past Christmas.

I know it isn't all that reliable. But a hint would even be nice.

We are going to be in some trouble if we get screwed on that

NAO didn't flip in 2004-2005 until the Jan 22-23 blizzard.

It might be a while...some Ninos flip earlier. Others go wire to wire with -NAO like '76-'77 did, but this is obviously not going to be like that.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAO didn't flip in 2004-2005 until the Jan 22-23 blizzard.

It might be a while...some Ninos flip earlier. Others go wire to wire with -NAO like '76-'77 did, but this is obviously not going to be like that.

that will take away from the super winter possibility.  I think given some of the forecasts we saw, many saw 76-77 or 77-78 potential here....

that will take away from the super winter possibility.  I think given some of the forecasts we saw, many saw 76-77 or 77-78 potential here....

'77-'78 really didn't get going until mid January either. (interior did decent in Dec '77, but it sucked near the coast)

It's hard to get wire to wire epic blockbusters. I don't see anything overly concerting right now.

'77-'78 really didn't get going until mid January either. (interior did decent in Dec '77, but it sucked near the coast)

It's hard to get wire to wire epic blockbusters. I don't see anything overly concerting right now.

Thanks lol

My main analog ftl.

Was 1977-'78 positive early on?

My main analog ftl.

Was 1977-'78 positive early on?

No, '77 started negative NAO..but then it went positive in late Dec and a chunk of Jan before going strongly negative for most of the rest of winter.

The best analogs for ugly December +NAOs in El Nino and then getting a great winter are 2004-2005, 1965-1966, and 1957-1958.

No, '77 started negative NAO..but then it went positive in late Dec and a chunk of Jan before going strongly negative for most of the rest of winter.

The best analogs for ugly December +NAOs in El Nino and then getting a great winter are 2004-2005, 1965-1966, and 1957-1958.

Def. going to be a backloaded season.

Models often too quick to rush in a pattern change...it's been a bias for years that we often talk about on here.

I sometimes wonder if there is any way to quantify that bias... it seems to me about a 7-10 day rush (depending on how far out one is looking)...

granted, only a small sample size/skewed by my stellar memory

I sometimes wonder if there is any way to quantify that bias... it seems to me about a 7-10 day rush (depending on how far out one is looking)...

That's roughly what I would guess too...especially in a stable pattern that tries to get broken down. Originally the models were doing it around or slightly after mid-month...so if it doesn't happen until Christmas or a little after, that would be pretty typical.

One potential reason, in the GFS at least, is that the truncated/post-192 hr essentially eliminates shortwave dynamics. The result is progressive longwaves, which is unrealisitic and probably a little TOO receptive to background forcing. I am not sure if the Canadian/ECMWF ensembles do the same thing, but if they do, that is probably a big reason for the "too fast" bias for large scale pattern changes.

Eh, some of it is the behavior of different variable like tropical convection too. Models can be too fast with MJO progression which in turn will falsely hasten any pattern change. That's one of probably several reasons, but regardless...it's one of those biases that models have. Good to keep in mind.

Archived