e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Thanksgiving Weekend Weather (Wed-Sun)

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to be a pretty decent cluster pretty far west. Pretty big change actually.

I don't see a cluster west...there's some rogue members really far west, but the largest cluster is definitely close to that ACK track. I'm looking at the uppr air spghetti plots...not the actual sfc low plots which can be kind of goofy anyway. There's a large cluster fairly tightly packed that are less amped than the OP run. But there's definitely some more rogue amped members than there were yesterday.

I don't see a cluster west...there's some rogue members really far west, but the largest cluster is definitely close to that ACK track. I'm looking at the uppr air spghetti plots...not the actual sfc low plots which can be kind of goofy anyway. There's a large cluster fairly tightly packed that are less amped than the OP run. But there's definitely some more rogue amped members than there were yesterday.

Yeah, the SFC plots are pretty low resolution too...just those weren't there yesterday.  We've also lost the completely east fish storm members.  I agree, the majority look to be right around ACK or the Cape or the Gulf of Maine.

BTW that is a neat site Chris. Was playing with it earlier. Will do so again later and try to get a better understanding.

I imagine it can be really cool to use when the signals become strong.

HPC echoed some of the thoughts we were tossing around about the western ridge being the key to the forecast in their medium range discussion today. I imagine they are using quite a bit of this technique, but I really only heard of it through NROW the past couple of years.

Yeah I saw surface low plots, my bad.

Weaker solutions east, amped up solutions west. You are right though, still a decent amount are easy, which is good to keep some hope this could trend east a bit

Its not a big change as Will noted. They aren't all that different from 00z

They are def west of 00z...but its the same type of shift that the OP had..i.e., there wasn't a convergence toward the OP and ensembles which is what I want to see for more confidence.

Actually pretty simple to see when looping the individual ensembles...if this phases well those lows get ripped well inland.  Would be a problem even up here.  They just get like sucked west, almost like a 2010 type evolution.  The partial phase is what we want and keeps the storm near ACK or the Cape.

Bingo for those further east... without a substantial block to the north you always have to be careful about possible phasing solutions carrying the surface cyclone too far inland. The partial phase is the optimal solution, but often very difficult to forecast with any confidence. Hence the large uncertainty even as we get within < 4 days to the event.

I recall that uses surface temperature to determine snow, flaws like they all have.

Ok that's good to know. Bottom line here is, if the far Western Solution verifies that the Euro is showing, it's a front end thump of a few inches for most of Interior CT over to Rain. And if it ticks east towards the end(like alot of these seem to do), then more in the way of snow can be expected for SNE.

It's a win win imo, how often do you get to track a Major Winter Storm the days right before T-Giving. And there will be more surprises yet to come with 84 hours left before go time. DIT needs to stop panicking for heavens sake...Not like there is anything anybody could do anyways. Enjoy the ride...hopefully we all get to see some snow fly

It is interesting that the gfs has been consistently east. To be honest the euro and gfs really haven't wavered much from current position in the grand scheme.

The GFS seems to have 2 caving windows, one around 84-108 which the last few years it has not been doing so as much, the other is inside 48-54...I would not be surprised if it holds out for another 24 hours assuming the Euro continues to be this far west.

yes and it totally screwed Feb 13 and Feb 14 for that exact reason. I have yet to find a snow algorithm besides bufkit that uses all the variables required for snow growth

I know there is talk of using that type of info to output precip type on the GFS, which theoretically could be used for better snowfall forecasts. Rather than forecast snow based on surface temps, forecast snow based on precip type.

But then again it's still the GFS.

Archived