joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Jayhawk! Where's the moose picture? ;)

post-254-0-03351400-1417986180_thumb.jpg

Ah, yes ... the moose. On my way over to Moosilauke on the Kancamagus Highway, I saw something in the road a ways away and soon figured out it was a moose. I slowed way down in an effort to get near it for a photo op. It didn't dash into the woods like I figured, just kinda circled around in the incoming lane. I took some pics and then inched the car closer. I parked right next to it, maybe 10' away. We shared a stare-down for a couple minutes and I was on my merry way :)

You may rip when that initial WCB lifts north...models are really keying in on NE Kingdom shadowing but not CPV as such.  Your issue there will be temps there in the CPV bottom.

Temps are definitely going to be an issue but the ski areas should get a major pounding.

Other than when socked-in, I see Moosilauke every day--nice shots as always.

Picked up 3.4" in the last event with some sleet & ZR thrown in too.  9-10" of snow otg here--with some density too.

Down to 6F already tonight with a big fat moon on the rise.  Our low for the season so far is 2F.  Just might eclipse that by dawn tomorrow.

All eyes on mid-week!

Watches up but I doubt BTV makes the 6 with shadowing and ptype problems.

I've added the BTV NWS maps below for the watches and initial projected accumulations through 7:00 A.M. Wednesday:

07DEC14A.jpg

07DEC14B.jpg

The general call for snow in the Winter Storm Watch text is for 6-12" with snowfall rates up to 2"/hr Tuesday afternoon through Tuesday evening.  Our current point forecast calls for accumulations in the 4-10" range through Tuesday night, and then various formulations of snow, sleet, and rain for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

I've added the latest BTV NWS advisory and projected accumulations maps for the storm that's expected to affect the area starting tomorrow.  Since yesterday's map, the Winter Storm Watches have expanded southward to cover all of Vermont as well as westward in Northern New York.  Projected accumulations through 7:00 A.M. Wednesday are up a bit in North-Central Vermont, with areas in the 8-10" and some 10-14" shading.  Some 14-18" shading that was down in the southern part of the state has been lowered, but there are some 14-18" areas shown now along the northern tier of New York State:

08DEC14A.jpg

08DEC14B.jpg

NYZ028>031-034-035-VTZ001>012-016>019-082100-

/O.CON.KBTV.WS.A.0007.141209T1200Z-141210T2200Z/

EASTERN CLINTON-SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-

WESTERN CLINTON-WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-GRAND ISLE-

WESTERN FRANKLIN-ORLEANS-ESSEX-WESTERN CHITTENDEN-LAMOILLE-

CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-WESTERN ADDISON-ORANGE-WESTERN RUTLAND-

WINDSOR-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-

EASTERN RUTLAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PLATTSBURGH...STAR LAKE...

SARANAC LAKE...TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA...LAKE PLACID...

PORT HENRY...TICONDEROGA...ALBURGH...SOUTH HERO...ST. ALBANS...

NEWPORT...ISLAND POND...BURLINGTON...JOHNSON...STOWE...

ST. JOHNSBURY...MONTPELIER...MIDDLEBURY...VERGENNES...BRADFORD...

RANDOLPH...RUTLAND...SPRINGFIELD...WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...

ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON...

EAST WALLINGFORD...KILLINGTON

347 AM EST MON DEC 8 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING

THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON CONTINUES THE WINTER

STORM WATCH...FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* LOCATIONS...THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS OF NEW YORK...THE ENTIRE

CHAMPLAIN VALLEY...AND THE REMAINDER OF VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY WET SNOW AND SLEET.

* ACCUMULATIONS...THE POTENTIAL FOR 6 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW WILL

EXIST ALONG WITH POSSIBLE ACCUMULATIONS OF SLEET.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR TUESDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW SPREADS FROM SOUTH TO NORTH ACROSS THE AREA

TUESDAY...THEN BECOMES HEAVY TUESDAY NIGHT. SLEET WILL MIX IN

LATE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL BECOME DIFFICULT DUE TO SNOW

COVERED ROADS AND VISIBILITIES WILL DROP SHARPLY IN THE HEAVY

SNOW. IN ADDITION...THE WEIGHT OF THE SNOW AND SLEET MAY ALSO

LEAD TO POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES.

* WINDS...EAST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH ON WEDNESDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE MID 30S TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. LOWS

25 TO 30 TUESDAY NIGHT.

* VISIBILITIES...REDUCED TO A QUARTER OF A MILE AT TIMES TUESDAY

NIGHT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

&&

$$

EVENSON

Our local forecast here calls for accumulations in the 6-12" range through tomorrow night, with potentially additional accumulations during the remainder of the week with the mixed bag of precipitation types.  Starting tomorrow, the weather looks fairly active and wintry, even for the valleys:

08DEC14C.jpg

Definitely a challenging forecast without question. I see they have bumped BTV to 8-10. The overnight Euro was still a mess with what I think was 3 lows. HPC eventually brings a low center to BTV like yesterday's Euro had on Thu morning.

Definitely a challenging forecast without question. I see they have bumped BTV to 8-10. The overnight Euro was still a mess with what I think was 3 lows. HPC eventually brings a low center to BTV like yesterday's Euro had on Thu morning.

Just a headache to forecast. A large part of me wants to say "weather, likely a large portion of which will be snow, will happen from tuesday through thursday....beyond that ask the gods"

I've seen cut off lows produce 4feet of snow. I've also seen them produce 2". 

:axe:  :axe:

I did not have internet for most of yesterday and it has been soooo slow for a week now- thanks Fairpoint!  Can someone give a brief synopsis of what we are looking at for a setup for this week.  i know there is the low moving through the Great Lakes at this time.  Does it cause the front end slug or is a new low forming which will lead to that.  I know a low is supposed to form do loop de loops and stall until June.  Can someone do a little summary?

I did not have internet for most of yesterday and it has been soooo slow for a week now- thanks Fairpoint! Can someone give a brief synopsis of what we are looking at for a setup for this week. i know there is the low moving through the Great Lakes at this time. Does it cause the front end slug or is a new low forming which will lead to that. I know a low is supposed to form do loop de loops and stall until June. Can someone do a little summary?

Surface low off the NJ coast tracks into New England very slowly. Our best chance for accumulating snow is on the front end before switching to sleet and rain as it warms up aloft. Then it's like a day of 30-35F drizzle or pellets, before going back to light snow on Thursday.

Most interesting time period will be like 12pm-12am tomorrow.

Just a headache to forecast. A large part of me wants to say "weather, likely a large portion of which will be snow, will happen from tuesday through thursday....beyond that ask the gods"

I've seen cut off lows produce 4feet of snow. I've also seen them produce 2".

:axe::axe:

And so everyone will forecast somewhere in between and hope for the best.

Low was about -12, heard of a -21 from Ashland, so places like Big Black and Estcourt Station must've been around -25.

Could this event wind up like Patriot's Day 2007?  Not the seteup but the result, which at my place was 5" snow plus 5" rain.  (Not that qpf is that huge - 2 + 2 would be more likely than 5 + 5.)

Low was about -12, heard of a -21 from Ashland, so places like Big Black and Estcourt Station must've been around -25.

Could this event wind up like Patriot's Day 2007?  Not the seteup but the result, which at my place was 5" snow plus 5" rain.  (Not that qpf is that huge - 2 + 2 would be more likely than 5 + 5.)

WOW! That is cold! How often does it get lower than -10F in December?

WOW! That is cold! How often does it get lower than -10F in December?

Including today, 14 days, occurring in 8 of my 17 Decembers here.  Last year was my first time to see -20s in Dec.  I've recorded 68 subzero mornings, plus 8 more right at zero, and only Dec 2006 failed to get that cold.  (Minumum that year, Farmington's mildest of 121 Decembers, was 6.)

Including today, 14 days, occurring in 8 of my 17 Decembers here.  Last year was my first time to see -20s in Dec.  I've recorded 68 subzero mornings, plus 8 more right at zero, and only Dec 2006 failed to get that cold.  (Minumum that year, Farmington's mildest of 121 Decembers, was 6.)

Oh, so it's nothing special ;)

Oh, so it's nothing special ;)

There's a 15-acre field that slopes up from across the road at my place, and cold air draining from there settles at the house because the other 3 sides of the dooryard are surrounded by dense forest.  The folks living near the high end of that field are probably 5-10F milder on prime radiational cooling nights, though only 1/4 mile away.

Archived