joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked on the reported snow totals for the Vermont ski areas with this current event as of this morning, and north to south listings are below.  It was a general 3"-4" in the northern resorts, with lower amounts of 1-2" for the southern half of the state:

Jay Peak: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 3”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Mad River Glen: 3”

Sugarbush: 3”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 2”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 2”

On another note, this brings me to 27.1" on the season, which is by far the best start I can remember in terms of raw snowfall for anywhere I've ever lived.  Unfortunately the Stowe CoCoRAHS station is missing a week of data at the end of November (darn Thanksgiving week holiday interrupting measurements), but if I insert my numbers into his missing dates, he'd be at 27.4" I think.

I checked my data today, and at 25.3", we're about a foot ahead of average pace here.  This season is running a bit ahead of 2008-2009, which was 22.2" as of this date, but definitely behind 2007-2008, which had just reached a very healthy 31.0".  As of yesterday, 2014-2015 was actually running in first place for snowfall among my eight seasons worth of records, which speaks to the good November, but this is the timeframe where 2007-2008 starts to really take off.  That 2007-2008 season sort of hit the ground running and never looked back, with ~50" by mid month, and it was closing in on 100" by the first of the year.  That is a pretty impressive pace for snowfall.  Still, a good storm or two could certainly put this season up near that pace in the more immediate timeframe, and that's pretty good company.  Getting some good upslope going is probably what it would take to keep pace with the big years.  For now I'd say that NVT is doing pretty well among the region as a whole though, because I noticed that the three VT posters currently participating in the 2014-2015 New England Snow Table occupy the top of the list.

Solid blustery snow squall here in Orwell - enough to cover the ground.  The point and click forecast for my area showed mostly sunny, and the early morning (4:35 am) BTV discussion mentioned snow showers only for the mountains.  All in all, a pretty surprise, even if short lived.

Looks like a significant flurrry went over my place about 8 AM - only a handful of flakes in AUG.  Season snowfall thru 7 this morning is 20.3", tops for the date in my going-on-17 winters here.  We had 24" on 12/6-7/2003, so that season will probably claim the lead over the weekend, as I'm not seeing 4" from the Sat event as being very likely.

Pretty gnarly squall just blew through Montpelier.

Yeah, that dropped a quick 1.1" at the house; you could see those 30 db returns coming through and the snow was really pounding for a while:

04DEC14A.gif

I suspect that snow, combined with a bit of a flash freeze, was what absolutely transformed the roads into a mess on the western slopes this morning.  I was heading west toward Burlington on Route 2 and it looked there were multiple areas of stoppage on I-89.  I was thankful I was on Route 2… that is until I approached the big S-curve east of Richmond.  Cars were backed up for a good distance, and after about 10 minutes a guy drove by in a truck and said it was best to just take an alternate route; there wasn't an accident or anything – the cars just couldn’t get up the hill!  I'm not sure if they were two-wheel drive vehicles with the wrong tires or if even other vehicles were having trouble, but detouring was likely the best idea.  I cut around using the Jonesville and Richmond bridges and there were no issues.  And actually, the roads in the Burlington area are in fine shape – mostly just dry.  You'd never even know what went on a few miles to the east out in the mountains/foothills, but the roads really got transformed into a mess with this morning's combination of weather.

nice snowy AM up at Stowe today. prob. 2.5" inches or so. However...89 was as bad as I have ever seen. When I left to ski at 5am the temp was about 36F. Roads were dry to richmond then "damp"....on the way home the temp was 29F and the light snow that had fallen had turned to a sheet of glare ice.  11 cars were off the road on JUST 89N.  I didn't count those off the road heading southbound. 

VTrans effed that up this morning. Moisture freezes at 32. Might want to remember that for next time boys. 

Yeah, that dropped a quick 1.1" at the house; you could see those 30 db returns coming through and the snow was really pounding for a while:

04DEC14A.gif

I suspect that snow, combined with a bit of a flash freeze, was what absolutely transformed the roads into a mess on the western slopes this morning.  I was heading west toward Burlington on Route 2 and it looked there were multiple areas of stoppage on I-89.  I was thankful I was on Route 2… that is until I approached the big S-curve east of Richmond.  Cars were backed up for a good distance, and after about 10 minutes a guy drove by in a truck and said it was best to just take an alternate route; there wasn't an accident or anything – the cars just couldn’t get up the hill!  I'm not sure if they were two-wheel drive vehicles with the wrong tires or if even other vehicles were having trouble, but detouring was likely the best idea.  I cut around using the Jonesville and Richmond bridges and there were no issues.  And actually, the roads in the Burlington area are in fine shape – mostly just dry.  You'd never even know what went on a few miles to the east out in the mountains/foothills, but the roads really got transformed into a mess with this morning's combination of weather.

2 hour commutes to MPV for colleagues living up there this morning.  It took one guy an hour to reach Richmond from Essex Jct.

nice snowy AM up at Stowe today. prob. 2.5" inches or so. However...89 was as bad as I have ever seen. When I left to ski at 5am the temp was about 36F. Roads were dry to richmond then "damp"....on the way home the temp was 29F and the light snow that had fallen had turned to a sheet of glare ice.  11 cars were off the road on JUST 89N.  I didn't count those off the road heading southbound. 

VTrans effed that up this morning. Moisture freezes at 32. Might want to remember that for next time boys. 

VTrans is a disaster most of the time.

New BTV AFD

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

LONG RANGE GUIDANCE IS
CONSISTENT WITH A DRY MONDAY BUT STILL OFFERS TWO DISTINCTLY
DIFFERENT SOLUTIONS FOR TUESDAY. THE ECMWF DEVELOPS A COASTAL LOW
WHICH WILL SLIDE UP THE COAST INSIDE THE BENCHMARK AND BECOME
LOCKED IN PHASE WITH AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH THAT WILL BE PUSHING
ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES. AS THAT SYSTEM PHASES TOGETHER THERE WILL
BE ENHANCED SNOWFALL POTENTIAL FOR THE REGION. THE GFS HOWEVER
SHOWS THE COASTAL LOW BEING AROUND 12-18 HOURS SLOWER SO AS THE
UPPER LEVEL TROUGH MOVES THROUGH THE COASTAL LOW WILL BE WELL TO
THE SOUTH AND WILL PUSH THE LOW WELL OFFSHORE AND EAST OF THE
BENCHMARK. THAT SOLUTION WILL BRING A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AS A
RESULT OF A SHORT WAVE WITH THE UPPER LEVEL LOW. RIGHT NOW THE