joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...even mostly 40s throughout VT right now.

CAD is fairly impressive there, haha...you're going to rise when we drop.

Man even mid-40s in the mecca of First CT Lake and Pittsburgh, NH...35-40F in FVE/CAR area...but that area just south/east slopes of the Whites down into Eastern VT hills just holds onto that cold.

Crazy variable though...a buddy just drove in from Willamstown, VT near Montpelier and said it was 34F at his house with like 8-10" of snow, and then by the time he hit Waterbury the temp was mid-40s straight up to the mountain.

West side of VT. Where flurries always fly, but snow pack cries.

We have similar climo to Pittsburgh, NH. Lots of snowy days, but the NW slope can melt from time to time.

Looks about the same this morning here.  He's (johns weather) had about the same amount of snow as this area too, with 20-25" this season to date.

Still a solid pack at mi casa.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I was almost wondering if in your area, living at a lower elevation is more preferable to some degree?  I don't know that little micro-climate well, but it seems the low elevation spots hold snow much better than the higher elevations.  I still think of those photos last January where you had like 10-12" solid snow, while Cannon was completely bare.

This morning looking through the CoCoRAHS reports, there's this one from Newbury, NH in Merrimack County (I think that's your county?) where the spotter only had 0.5" of snow depth this morning, similar to this area. 

The elevation isn't listed but he says it was 50F this morning in the comments with "unbelievable snow melt".  So it makes me wonder, if the payoff for being at higher elevation is undermined by the fact that they don't CAD anywhere near as well as the lower elevations.

Its a fascinating micro-climate in your area...like to think that if your property was at 1,500ft+ or something you may have grass showing through, but since you are down low you have a healthy pack.

I was almost wondering if in your area, living at a lower elevation is more preferable to some degree?  I don't know that little micro-climate well, but it seems the low elevation spots hold snow much better than the higher elevations.  I still think of those photos last January where you had like 10-12" solid snow, while Cannon was completely bare.

This morning looking through the CoCoRAHS reports, there's this one from Newbury, NH in Merrimack County (I think that's your county?) where the spotter only had 0.5" of snow depth this morning, similar to this area. 

The elevation isn't listed but he says it was 50F this morning in the comments with "unbelievable snow melt".  So it makes me wonder, if the payoff for being at higher elevation is undermined by the fact that they don't CAD anywhere near as well as the lower elevations.

attachicon.gifNewbury.jpg

Its a fascinating micro-climate in your area...like to think that if your property was at 1,500ft+ or something you may have grass showing through, but since you are down low you have a healthy pack.

I think it depends what type of warmups you have...if they are well-mixed 40-45F days, then elevation is preferable..but CAD setups you want to be lower down in protected areas

When I drove up to Bretton Woods last April...the elevations had all the snow pack while the lower CAD areas definitely had less.

Archived