joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had 9.2" at midnight here... which I realized brought me to 20.1" for the month of November so far.  Not a bad start!

That's exactly where the total for November stands for my site as well as of that midnight reading.  Indeed that's a good start to the season; based on what I've seen over the past several years of recording snowfall in this area, snowfall in that ~20" range represents a good November.

Storm total for our location was 11.6" with this event – the hourly depth observations table covering the main twelve hours is below.  The slowing of the snowfall rate in those last couple of observations is very evident:

26NOV14I.jpg

There's certainly been some settling – snow depth is 10.5" this morning.

Going through pics now. What an awesome event this turned out to be! NWS office says we got 8" or so (I am very close to them as the crow flies in Winooski) but the depth was probably 6-7" this morning. I took a drive to Huntington and it touched double digits there.

The north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas are below, and the list is finally getting close to normal length as a lot of areas are opening up and reporting.  There aren't too many storms where the snowfall is distributed so evenly up and down the spine of the Greens, so this was a nice one for all the resorts:

Jay Peak: 13”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 12”

Bolton Valley: 12”

Mad River Glen: 14”

Sugarbush: 12”

Pico: 12”

Killington: 12”

Okemo: 12”

Bromley: 10”

Stratton: 13”

Mount Snow: 14”

The north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas are below, and the list is finally getting close to normal length as a lot of areas are opening up and reporting.  There aren't too many storms where the snowfall is distributed so evenly up and down the spine of the Greens, so this was a nice one for all the resorts:

Jay Peak: 13”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 12”

Bolton Valley: 12”

Mad River Glen: 14”

Sugarbush: 12”

Pico: 12”

Killington: 12”

Okemo: 12”

Bromley: 10”

Stratton: 13”

Mount Snow: 14”

You never ever would've guessed it would've come out that even looking at the models even right before the start time of the event.  Pretty amazing how that happened.

Respect the mid level lows. We preach that for a reason.

The thing is you never know if it'll produce...even the HRRR and RAP weren't showing it while it was happening. You can say there's the potential for a positive bust but I still don't know anyone that would've forecast the amounts we had up here. QPF was pretty close to correct with like 0.6" but 18:1 ratios.

You guys were mentioning the high snow growth, that was also something we should've picked up on...the further NW you went the higher the lift was occurring and it was better situated in the DGZ. Our lift was probably at like H6? You can also tell the lift was high because terrain really didn't play any role. Fairly uniform snowfall, no like upslope/downslope stuff.

The thing is you never know if it'll produce...even the HRRR and RAP weren't showing it while it was happening. You can say there's the potential for a positive bust but I still don't know anyone that would've forecast the amounts we had up here. QPF was pretty close to correct with like 0.6" but 18:1 ratios.

You guys were mentioning the high snow growth, that was also something we should've picked up on...the further NW you went the higher the lift was occurring and it was better situated in the DGZ. Our lift was probably at like H6? You can also tell the lift was high because terrain really didn't play any role. Fairly uniform snowfall, no like upslope/downslope stuff.

Well every storm is different, but that's why myself, Will, and others preach to sort of ignore QPF and take the over. If you are in a favored spot wrt the mid level low positions, it will almost always produce and that's not an exaggeration. I'm not saying we all expected over a foot...but you can bet your behind that you will always do well when you are in a favored location wrt the position and movement of those mid level lows. One of my best examples was this year on 1/21. I was salivating when I saw the H7 WF to my south but QPF was maybe 0.5". I knew I would do well. That was the storm where we had almost 30:1 ratios.

Ended up with 11-12".  I didn't clear every 6 hours.  No tree damage up here on the hill but wow did the birches and white pines take a hit below.  200,000 customers without power as of mid day.  What's that like 600,000 people?  1.3 million people in the state so almost 50% without power.   Seems too high but a lot of messed up turkey dinners.  Its good that it's just around freezing out to get the food outside and safe.

Archived