• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

I was almost wondering if in your area, living at a lower elevation is more preferable to some degree? I don't know that little micro-climate well, but it seems the low elevation spots hold snow much better than the higher elevations. I still think of those photos last January where you had like 10-12" solid snow, while Cannon was completely bare.

This morning looking through the CoCoRAHS reports, there's this one from Newbury, NH in Merrimack County (I think that's your county?) where the spotter only had 0.5" of snow depth this morning, similar to this area.

The elevation isn't listed but he says it was 50F this morning in the comments with "unbelievable snow melt". So it makes me wonder, if the payoff for being at higher elevation is undermined by the fact that they don't CAD anywhere near as well as the lower elevations.

Newbury.jpg

Its a fascinating micro-climate in your area...like to think that if your property was at 1,500ft+ or something you may have grass showing through, but since you are down low you have a healthy pack.

I was thinking that this morning. If you have a pack fetish you definitely want to be a bit under 1kft. Usually the 800ft stations hold the cold pretty well. Those stations above 1200ft take it in the chin. If pack isn't your thing, but the big storms are, then maybe it pays off to be up that high. It amazes me how badly those Franconia Notch stations torch.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it depends what type of warmups you have...if they are well-mixed 40-45F days, then elevation is preferable..but CAD setups you want to be lower down in protected areas

When I drove up to Bretton Woods last April...the elevations had all the snow pack while the lower CAD areas definitely had less.

That's true...its just so fascinating, especially during the heart of winter when you have CAD that the *lower* elevations have a lot more snow in these up and down patterns.  Now if you are getting just storm after storm, the added precip benefit would probably favor the higher elevations.  Like even Fanconia Notch looks like its on life support while Dendrite probably has 8-10" of concrete in his yard.

I agree that spring-time, the melt is probably a lot more "normal" and not inverted. 

I think it depends what type of warmups you have...if they are well-mixed 40-45F days, then elevation is preferable..but CAD setups you want to be lower down in protected areas

When I drove up to Bretton Woods last April...the elevations had all the snow pack while the lower CAD areas definitely had less.

Come April I'm ready for 70s so I couldn't care less about the pack. DJFM is all that matters to me.

I was thinking that this morning. If you have a pack fetish you definitely want to be a bit under 1kft. Usually the 800ft stations hold the cold pretty well. Those stations above 1200ft take it in the chin. If pack isn't your thing, but the big storms are, then maybe it pays off to be up that high. It amazes me how badly those Franconia Notch stations torch.

I can't imagine anywhere else in this country where being lower in elevation would benefit you in building a snowpack.  I mean the Johns Weather cam was pretty telling, and looked exactly like my yard today.  A cam near Franconia looked spotty but was hard to tell.  That Newbury report sounded exactly like what happened here overnight, haha.  From full good cover to spotty cover between a trace and an inch.

Like where else can you get a 12" snowstorm in November, and only have the elevations below 1,200ft keep it through the winter?  Haha, when the mountains can melt out completely but the towns have solid snowpack.  That's a really interesting micro-climate from that standpoint.  Its like the

I can't imagine anywhere else in this country where being lower in elevation would benefit you in building a snowpack. I mean the Johns Weather cam was pretty telling, and looked exactly like my yard today. A cam near Franconia looked spotty but was hard to tell. That Newbury report sounded exactly like what happened here overnight, haha. From full good cover to spotty cover between a trace and an inch.

Like where else can you get a 12" snowstorm in November, and only have the elevations below 1,200ft keep it through the winter? Haha, when the mountains can melt out completely but the towns have solid snowpack. That's a really interesting micro-climate from that standpoint. Its like the

of course we have to get the snow down here first. We do a pretty good job of preserving whatever we get though.

Come April I'm ready for 70s so I couldn't care less about the pack. DJFM is all that matters to me.

Well I was just pointing out what I saw...no need to get defensive. :lol:

I do think it matters what type of warmups occur though. If they are from cutter patterns, then the CAD is going to be much more beneficial...if it is from a warmer high pressure on well mixed winds, then elevation will do better. Of course, having both elevation and CAD like Pinkham Notch is probably the best combo.

Well I was just pointing out what I saw...no need to get defensive. :lol:

I do think it matters what type of warmups occur though. If they are from cutter patterns, then the CAD is going to be much more beneficial...if it is from a warmer high pressure on well mixed winds, then elevation will do better. Of course, having both elevation and CAD like Pinkham Notch is probably the best

Not defensive at all. Hope I didn't give you that impression. :)

And yeah, we get our torches too. I'm not trying to make it sound like this is a snow mecca or anything. I pulled off 60s in Jan 07 like everyone else. The CAD is nice though and is one of those mesoscale aspects that still leaves an element of surprise since models often underestimate it up here.

Looking only at the 12z GFS precip and surface pressure maps (amateurish I know) it looks like there is plenty of moisture for the Tuesday night and Wednesday event.  NWS has sleet and rain in the P&C on Wednesday but I'm not sure how real that is for the elevated edges of the MRV.

300 and 500mb isobars seem to go right from Erie and Ontario to Stowe and points north while surface 750 and 800s hook north.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Northern greens for Tuesday night and Wednesday?

Judging from some other posts it looks like the white mountains of the MWV is in great shape for 4-6 inches of snow.

Thanks!

Torch is ending here.  Coasting down through the upper 30's now.  High for torch was 46.7F.   Snowcover took a big hit but I'm still around 95% or more snow covered.  Only grass is under apple trees which still had many of their leaves and under the white pines.  Don't know if anyone has noticed on my camera, my brother in law gave me a snow gauge gift.  It measures only to every 6" and I can't keep it on the south facing slope but its in the picture near the stone wall.  Looks like maybe 4-5" left?

Tuesday night/Wed AM event seems like more QPF on every model run.

post-268-0-16077600-1417461245_thumb.jpg

I can't imagine anywhere else in this country where being lower in elevation would benefit you in building a snowpack.  I mean the Johns Weather cam was pretty telling, and looked exactly like my yard today.  A cam near Franconia looked spotty but was hard to tell.  That Newbury report sounded exactly like what happened here overnight, haha.  From full good cover to spotty cover between a trace and an inch.

Like where else can you get a 12" snowstorm in November, and only have the elevations below 1,200ft keep it through the winter?  Haha, when the mountains can melt out completely but the towns have solid snowpack.  That's a really interesting micro-climate from that standpoint.  Its like the

I think the guy in Pittsburg only had like 6" of fluff too so that didnt help, they missed out on the good qpf. I have more snow otg in SNH than he has right now. One things for sure though, once that front goes through it doesnt take long up there, down to 28f already.

The persistent flurry is back.  Some light snow has been falling over the past hour or so, certainly nothing close to accumulation but nice to watch flakes fall in the flood lights after a warm up.

Dec_1_persistent_flurry_zpst6ijabu9.gif

We actually just picked up a couple of quick tenths here in the more persistent flow – there is some more moisture upstream so I'll be checking to see if anything else accumulates.

Man is that rock pile warm your on, 54.0°F was the high here

Topped out at 46 here.

Got my deer tagged today by Warden McCabe.  Unfortunately it was at the cost of my pickup's plastic grill, though there was very little other damage.  Critter ran off into the woods last night after the hit, and I found it about 500 ft from the road this morning.  Nice adult doe, with little (4-5") velvety antlers - 3rd such deer I've seen, the others in the Allagash-St.John country about 35 yerars ago.

Topped out at 46 here.

Got my deer tagged today by Warden McCabe.  Unfortunately it was at the cost of my pickup's plastic grill, though there was very little other damage.  Critter ran off into the woods last night after the hit, and I found it about 500 ft from the road this morning.  Nice adult doe, with little (4-5") velvety antlers - 3rd such deer I've seen, the others in the Allagash-St.John country about 35 yerars ago.

We going to see you on an episode next season? Probably not the way I'd want to end up on TV though.

We going to see you on an episode next season? Probably not the way I'd want to end up on TV though.

Nope.  Animal Planet finished filming and left about a week ago (we asked).  However, my wife and sister-in-law (she's up from FL due to my F-I-L's passing last Monday) acted like pre-teens when they learned which warden was coming.  :lmao:

Nope.  Animal Planet finished filming and left about a week ago (we asked).  However, my wife and sister-in-law (she's up from FL due to my F-I-L's passing last Monday) acted like pre-teens when they learned which warden was coming.  :lmao:

Naturally. I enjoy the show though, since the vast majority is filmed in western Maine I get a sneak peek into areas I haven't even seen before.

Looks like we have 32/28 and 31/9 for the two days.

Awesome...thanks.

I saw 32/28 in the F6 for the 27th, but I thought maybe they got lower in the PM before midnight. That 32F high seems low to me too considering I had 33F. No big deal I guess when it comes down to the monthly avgs.

Archived