Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

weed oppression ops forecasts, woof?

Might not want to hand out those lat/lons. :pimp:

I can honestly only remember them calling once, when they were diving for those three snowmobilers that went through the ice early in the season. They wanted the wind/wave forecasts for the lake once it iced out in the spring.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Topped out at 46 here.

Got my deer tagged today by Warden McCabe.  Unfortunately it was at the cost of my pickup's plastic grill, though there was very little other damage.  Critter ran off into the woods last night after the hit, and I found it about 500 ft from the road this morning.  Nice adult doe, with little (4-5") velvety antlers - 3rd such deer I've seen, the others in the Allagash-St.John country about 35 yerars ago.

Damn, I wanted to see you on Northwoods law............ :) , A couple buddies of mine debut on downeast dickering weds night from Shaker Hill Outdoors, They are twins

I can honestly only remember them calling once, when they were diving for those three snowmobilers that went through the ice early in the season. They wanted the wind/wave forecasts for the lake once it iced out in the spring.

Unfortunately, One of those sledders sisters my wife had his niece in the daycare

We actually just picked up a couple of quick tenths here in the more persistent flow – there is some more moisture upstream so I'll be checking to see if anything else accumulates.

I had nothing measurable at home, except for spotty clumps on the snowboard, but up at the mountain base there's closer to a half inch. The clumps of snow have a couple tenths but the snowboard isn't fully covered.

They didn't go through the ice, they rode onto open water because they just assumed the lake was frozen. Tragic, especially since it was completely preventable if they had just asked someone in town how the lake was.

What show is this? Sounds like an Alaska State Troopers type reality show between the State Game Wardens and State Troopers? I've been addicted to that one in the past. Everything from high-speed trooper chases to SAR to fish and game issues.

North Woods Law on Animal Planet - http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/north-woods-law

They didn't go through the ice, they rode onto open water because they just assumed the lake was frozen. Tragic, especially since it was completely preventable if they had just asked someone in town how the lake was.

I'm on the board of our state snowmobile association and we are in the midst of an effort to get rid of our lake crossings.  It's tough because sometimes there just aren't any easy ways to bypass them.  Personally, I have never been really comfortable crossing lakes, no matter how thick the ice is.  I know it's different in Maine but I would still be very wary riding across them.

I'm on the board of our state snowmobile association and we are in the midst of an effort to get rid of our lake crossings.  It's tough because sometimes there just aren't any easy ways to bypass them.  Personally, I have never been really comfortable crossing lakes, no matter how thick the ice is.  I know it's different in Maine but I would still be very wary riding across them.

I wil take the lake as a last resort most times, But our trail system relys heavily on a lot of them including some rivers as well

I'm on the board of our state snowmobile association and we are in the midst of an effort to get rid of our lake crossings. It's tough because sometimes there just aren't any easy ways to bypass them. Personally, I have never been really comfortable crossing lakes, no matter how thick the ice is. I know it's different in Maine but I would still be very wary riding across them.

Ice south of the 45th parallel I havent really messed with. The club Im in up by dad's house up north I mark and groom the lake in December. I wont go on a body of water early unless Ive, or someone I trust, watched it form and I go check it with a chisel.

Damn, I wanted to see you on Northwoods law............ :) , A couple buddies of mine debut on downeast dickering weds night from Shaker Hill Outdoors, They are twins

lol.

Two of my co-workers have been filmed by the Animal Planet crew, but I guess their stories didn't make the cut.  First one was the robo-partridge sting op on the Carriage Road south of Bigelow, but the fellow's son (who had carefully loaded his gun only after leaving the truck) wasn't fooled by the mechanical bird, and when people popped out of their hiding places, he turned to dad and hissed, "Wardens!"  2nd involved some high-speed ATVs on a public road.

During his visit to tag my critter, Warden McCabe said that he'd been asked by a local store proprietor where AP got the "actors" to play the dumb-and-dumber perps.  Kris replied, "Unfortunately, those are not actors."  Troubling to think they live among us.

lol.

Two of my co-workers have been filmed by the Animal Planet crew, but I guess their stories didn't make the cut.  First one was the robo-partridge sting op on the Carriage Road south of Bigelow, but the fellow's son (who had carefully loaded his gun only after leaving the truck) wasn't fooled by the mechanical bird, and when people popped out of their hiding places, he turned to dad and hissed, "Wardens!"  2nd involved some high-speed ATVs on a public road.

During his visit to tag my critter, Warden McCabe said that he'd been asked by a local store proprietor where AP got the "actors" to play the dumb-and-dumber perps.  Kris replied, "Unfortunately, those are not actors."  Troubling to think they live among us.

And then the rest of the folks in the state are viewed as the same, Filthy Riches is another show that does us no justice as well................ :(

I had nothing measurable at home, except for spotty clumps on the snowboard, but up at the mountain base there's closer to a half inch. The clumps of snow have a couple tenths but the snowboard isn't fully covered.

My board was pretty well covered by the end of the more persistent snows, and the areas of the yard without snow were re-whitened and still white of this morning, but that full coverage issue is always a tough one.  I've never gone that route because it's always seemed like it threw in an arbitrary factor into the measurements – deciding when full coverage has been obtained on a specific surface.  What does one do when those huge "clumps of snow"-style flakes fell and piled up to ½" or ¾", but the board was only 90% covered?  What I've found is that if there's enough snow to break the 0.1" threshold, there's almost always enough snow to cover the board.  But, in those instances where the flake structure allows for snow depth to get up above 0.1" before full coverage (last night's event was a good example, with probably only 80-90% coverage of my main snowboard), the snow depth is the deciding factor.  I haven’t actually seen any guidelines about the full coverage threshold for measurement, but that may be because of the potential variability in the different objects/board sizes people use for their snow measurements, and the added variability from each observer trying to make that assessment.  Also, it's probably not a factor in many parts of the country where synoptic snows with more standard sized flakes are the rule, and these types of mini snowfall events with bigger flakes aren’t happening all the time.  Even around here, it probably makes a difference of only a couple of inches over the course of a season, so it may be considered inconsequential in the grand scheme.

My board was pretty well covered by the end of the more persistent snows, and the areas of the yard without snow were re-whitened and still white of this morning, but that full coverage issue is always a tough one. I've never gone that route because it's always seemed like it threw in an arbitrary factor into the measurements – deciding when full coverage has been obtained on a specific surface. What does one do when those huge "clumps of snow"-style flakes fell and piled up to ½" or ¾", but the board was only 90% covered? What I've found is that if there's enough snow to break the 0.1" threshold, there's almost always enough snow to cover the board. But, in those instances where the flake structure allows for snow depth to get up above 0.1" before full coverage (last night's event was a good example, with probably only 80-90% coverage of my main snowboard), the snow depth is the deciding factor. I haven’t actually seen any guidelines about the full coverage threshold for measurement, but that may be because of the potential variability in the different objects/board sizes people use for their snow measurements, and the added variability from each observer trying to make that assessment. Also, it's probably not a factor in many parts of the country where synoptic snows with more standard sized flakes are the rule, and these types of mini snowfall events with bigger flakes aren’t happening all the time. Even around here, it probably makes a difference of only a couple of inches over the course of a season, so it may be considered inconsequential in the grand scheme.

Yeah it's a tough one...the grass was definitely re-whitened a bit and there were clumps on my car of even up to a half inch, but it seemed all the snow was on like one half of the car roof haha.

It was odd because it was so blotchy, but I see what you are saying. I just never know how to count non-full covered snowboard...but when dealing with flakes like a half inch in diameter, once the board is covered you have like an immediate half inch.

But like you said, it doesn't make a big difference over the long run, maybe 1-2% of total snowfall over a season.

TABER at BTV is liking the early week system...was a marginal but good EURO run at 12z today:

"Meanwhile...the system now impacting California will cross across the SW Continental U.S. The next couple of days...then into the MS valley by the weekend with weak surface low pressure developing...while a blocking high pressure builds across the northern Atlantic by early next week. This block will result in better chances for phasing with northern stream energy over the Great Lakes with southern stream energy over the southeast Continental U.S. Late Sunday into Monday...which is advertised by the latest 12z European model (ecmwf). The European model (ecmwf) would be very favorable solution for a moderate snowfall across most of the north country early next week...with surface low track across Cape Cod and a closing off 500 mb/7h circulation to our south across southern New England. This solution is the most aggressive with phasing...surface development and closing off the middle/upper level circulations...when compared with others. I will trend toward this solution and increase probability of precipitation to likely...with thermal profiles supporting mainly snow. European model (ecmwf) did much better across our County Warning Area...with handling the pre Thanksgiving day storm and typical performs better in these types of pattern. Given the very complex and complicated upper level pattern and associated surface features for early next week...I expect several changes in the models in future runs. Should be noted both the GFS/Gem also have a similar type solution with weak surface low pressure moving along the eastern Seaboard late Sunday into Monday. However...the 12z GFS shows the primary surface low tracking across the central Great Lakes...closer to the stronger northern stream energy...and this would place our County Warning Area in the warm sector...similar to the event tonight. Bottom line looks like a moderate type system will impact our region early next week...with some potential for an accumulating snow event. Temperatures looks to be near normal for the weekend...before dropping back blw normal as cold air is drawn into the system by Monday night/Tuesday. "

I've added the advisories and projected accumulations maps from the BTV NWS for the system tonight into tomorrow – I grabbed maps from earlier today, but I haven’t seen much change as of this evening.  Winter Weather Advisories cover almost the entire map, and It sounds like a general 1-3" with mixed precipitation for a lot of areas:

WWUS41 KBTV 022042

WSWBTV

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

342 PM EST TUE DEC 2 2014

NYZ026>031-034-035-087-VTZ001>012-016>019-031000-

/O.CON.KBTV.WW.Y.0019.141203T0000Z-141203T1400Z/

NORTHERN ST. LAWRENCE-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CLINTON-

SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CLINTON-

WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-SOUTHWESTERN ST. LAWRENCE-GRAND ISLE-

WESTERN FRANKLIN-ORLEANS-ESSEX-WESTERN CHITTENDEN-LAMOILLE-

CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-WESTERN ADDISON-ORANGE-WESTERN RUTLAND-

WINDSOR-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-

EASTERN RUTLAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MASSENA...MALONE...PLATTSBURGH...

STAR LAKE...SARANAC LAKE...TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA...

LAKE PLACID...PORT HENRY...TICONDEROGA...OGDENSBURG...POTSDAM...

GOUVERNEUR...ALBURGH...SOUTH HERO...ST. ALBANS...NEWPORT...

ISLAND POND...BURLINGTON...JOHNSON...STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY...

MONTPELIER...MIDDLEBURY...VERGENNES...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH...

RUTLAND...SPRINGFIELD...WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...ENOSBURG FALLS...

RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD...

KILLINGTON

342 PM EST TUE DEC 2 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS

EVENING TO 9 AM EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON CONTINUES THE WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR THE ENTIRE NORTH COUNTRY...FROM 7 PM THIS

EVENING TO 9 AM EST WEDNESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN NEW YORK. CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...MIXED WINTRY PRECIPITATION.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES.

ALSO UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE...MAINLY ACROSS

RUTLAND...WINDSOR...ORANGE AND WASHINGTON COUNTIES IN VERMONT.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO 1 INCH PER HOUR...MAINLY OVERNIGHT.

* TIMING...STEADY SNOW WILL DEVELOP FROM SOUTH TO NORTH ACROSS THE

REGION THIS EVENING...MIX WITH SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN AROUND

MIDNIGHT...THEN END AS A PERIOD OF RAIN WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...SLIPPERY TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW...SLEET...AND A LIGHT

GLAZE OF ICE ON UNTREATED SURFACES. MAIN IMPACTS WILL BE DURING

THE OVERNIGHT HOURS AND INTO THE EARLY MORNING COMMUTE ON

WEDNESDAY.

* WINDS...SOUTH TO SOUTHEAST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25

MPH...LOCALIZED GUSTS TO 45 MPH ALONG WESTERN SLOPES OF THE

GREEN MOUNTAINS.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE 20S THIS EVENING...SLOWLY RISING INTO THE 30S

BY DAYBREAK ON WEDNESDAY.

* VISIBILITIES...BELOW 1 MILE AT TIMES IN SNOW TONIGHT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... ALLOW EXTRA TIME IF

TRAVELING TONIGHT...AND FOR YOUR MORNING COMMUTE ON WEDNESDAY.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

&&

$$

NEILES

02DEC14A.jpg

02DEC14B.jpg

I was on the UVM campus in Burlington having a review session with some of the students tonight, and when I headed outside around 8:45 P.M. it was already snowing with a skiff of accumulation.  That snow was fairly light, but when I headed home about a half hour later, the snowfall was very intense.  On I-89 from Burlington through Williston, the driving was horrendous.  It wasn't because of deep snow, as there was probably less than an inch down at that point, but the issue was visibility.  There was enough snow on the roads to get them mostly white, and the intensity of the snowfall was very heavy – as in "I hope that guy in front of me has a clue because I have no idea where the side of the road or any of the lanes are" sort of heavy.  The visibility was certainly under 100 ft at times.  Fortunately, that intensity dropped off as I descended French Hill down into the exit 10 area of Richmond as is often the case.  The snowfall was probably ¼ the intensity there, and there was plenty of black visible on the roads, so the driving was much easier.  The snowfall intensity stayed pretty low for a while, but gradually began to ramp up through Jonesville, and finally was back up to that intense stuff I'd seen before once I hit Bolton Flats.  As of 11:00 P.M., accumulation here is just hitting 2.0", which is well within the 1-3" in our point forecast, which calls for a changeover to sleet in the 4:00 A.M. timeframe.  I'm planning to clear the boards and run a liquid analysis at midnight, so I'll have an idea of how much liquid is in this snow.

I haven't seen any changes in the projected accumulations map from the BTV NWS this evening, although there was a slight update to the advisories map – whichever county that was over in western New York that wasn't under a Winter Weather Advisory is now covered, so it's wall-to-wall advisories on the map:

02DEC14C.jpg

Archived