joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MAV has sucked on the big cold rad nights up here lately, but regardless, here's the 12z MAV mins for tomorrow AM...

HIE -11F

LEB -8F

BML -6F

IZG -5F

1V4 -4F

VSF -3F

MPV -2F

HUL -2F

CON -1F

EEN -1F

AFN -1F

MVL -1F

SFM 2F

LCI 6F

BTV 6F

PWM 8F

MHT 8F

Some of those don't pass the smell test (LEB vs BML), but regardless it looks like a damn cold night shaping up. The MET and 2m temps aren't much warmer than those MAV numbers.

Your typical November evening in C NH with a deep, glistening snowpack.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice dude...what's your snow depth at?

Mine's settled to like 7-8", which makes sense given we had around 2/3rds of an inch of QPF and I've found snow tends to settle out to 10:1 in the end.

Really though, out on the mountain today we were all talking about how its just Thanksgiving weekend.  It feels and looks like it should be X-mas.  I've had more snow this November at 750ft than I had last January...its hard for Novie to beat January so handily.

I just got home a little bit ago, and although there was like 3-4" at the mountain, the event total at my house in the village was 1.1".  Blocked flow causing a sharp cut-off on the east side.  Like within 2 miles of leaving the office the new snow started rapidly decreasing.  That's part of J.Spin's benefit where he is on the spine, as he gets the west and east slope events.  Over here and on the west slope, it varies depending on the type of event.  But if you are right on the Spine like the ski areas and J.Spin, you tend to do well no matter the set-up.

Per usual the Greens and Whites are doing a simply fabulous job of keeping every snow squall and flurry away from me

About 1 1/2" of powder last night.

A friend of mine near Lake Winni just got his power back.  He said his condo complex took a huge hit with the trees.  Arn't white birch native to NH?  They seem to always do poorly in wet snow and if they bend bad enough they don't come back.  Here is a picture he took of the condo's. 

post-268-0-11907800-1417207433_thumb.jpg

Nice dude...what's your snow depth at?

Mine's settled to like 7-8", which makes sense given we had around 2/3rds of an inch of QPF and I've found snow tends to settle out to 10:1 in the end.

Really though, out on the mountain today we were all talking about how its just Thanksgiving weekend. It feels and looks like it should be X-mas. I've had more snow this November at 750ft than I had last January...its hard for Novie to beat January so handily.

I didn't measure yet. There isn't going to be much settling with this. I went out in it to fill the feeder and I'd say it's still about 10-11".

Getting some -SHSN now with BKN skies.

Just about 5pm and my temp is barely drifting down.  22.8F   I would doubt I would even see 10F.  I'm guessing 14F.  

Greens are not doing their job 100% right now as flurries in the air.  Getting dark but Im about 50% cloud covered so maybe when it clears I will drop quicker.

I just got home a little bit ago, and although there was like 3-4" at the mountain, the event total at my house in the village was 1.1".  Blocked flow causing a sharp cut-off on the east side.  Like within 2 miles of leaving the office the new snow started rapidly decreasing.  That's part of J.Spin's benefit where he is on the spine, as he gets the west and east slope events.  Over here and on the west slope, it varies depending on the type of event.  But if you are right on the Spine like the ski areas and J.Spin, you tend to do well no matter the set-up.

Yeah, a little better along the spine today with 1.8" from the day's activity, but indeed getting in on events from both sides is typically what gives us that extra boost in annual snowfall.  The snowpack has settled since the big storm, but it's currently at 9" with today's activity.

Another quick 0.3" and still snowing pretty good in town. These snow showers just won't quit.

BTV explained where the snow was/is coming from in the afternoon AFD...

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 AM SATURDAY MORNING/...
AS OF 340 PM EST FRIDAY...INTERESTING AFTN ACRS THE NORTH COUNTRY
WITH CONVECTIVE SNOW SHOWERS OVER THE MTNS. HAVE REPORTS OF VIS
QUICKLY DROPPING BLW 1/4SM IN THE HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS...WITH
RADAR REFLECTIVITY SHOWING DBZ BTWN 25 AND 30. THIS ACTIVITY HAS
RESULTED IN MTN LOCATIONS FROM JAY PEAK TO STOWE TO SUGARBUSH
AREAS RECEIVING AN ADDITIONAL 1 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW TODAY. THE
COMBINATION OF A WEAK SFC TROF...STEEP LOW LVL LAPSE RATES...AND
GOOD LLVL MOISTURE PROFILES HAVE HELPED PRODUCE THESE SCATTERED
SNOW SHOWERS TODAY...BUT ACTIVITY WL QUICKLY DISSIPATE BY 5 PM.

Also noticed the Coop came in with more snow than I measured, which is always a nice change of pace.  5" new with 0.2" liquid sounds about right for that fluffy snow...easy 20:1 ratio stuff.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
513 PM EST FRI NOV 28 2014

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.20    12   7   7   LIGHT FOG    5.0  12

Yeah, a little better along the spine today with 1.8" from the day's activity, but indeed getting in on events from both sides is typically what gives us that extra boost in annual snowfall.  The snowpack has settled since the big storm, but it's currently at 9" with today's activity.

I'd imagine you are getting some more now, too... radar won't quit, haha.  Streamer down the Winooski Valley between the mountains, and we keep getting blow over from the mountain.  At times the air is just thick with huge fluffy dendrites but they don't fall all that fast...just float lazily to the ground.  Then it moves out and goes back to flurries, then another 3-5 minute burst will move through.  The main moisture feed seems aimed at Stowe/Smuggs, so may have some more snow to measure for the ski area in the morning.  Its these types of little events where you notice the difference between the mountains north of 89 vs those south of I89.  And although the radar isn't reaching to Jay Peak, I have a sneaky suspicion it may be dumping up there.

November28_zpsscu9fmxr.gif

Yeah Ginxy...doesn't feel like November out there.  More like mid-winter.

Jay Peak had some nice shots from this morning...upslope spots doing their job today, I know Bretton Woods is also in that NW upslope zone.

Jay is reporting around 30" in the past 7 days.

That's excellent; I've updated the north to south listings for the Vermont ski areas with accumulations reported as of this morning – it was generally the northern 1/3 of the state that got the additional snow.  The first number is the 24-hour accumulation and the second number is the 48-hour accumulation.

Jay Peak: 4”/17"

Smuggler’s Notch: 3”/11"

Stowe: 2”/14"

Bolton Valley: 4”/16"

Mad River Glen: 0”/14"

Sugarbush: 1”/13"

Pico: 0”/12"

Killington: 0”/12"

Okemo: T/12"

Bromley: 0”/12"

Stratton: 0”/13"

Mount Snow: 0”/14"

eek I have a portable honda generator that I am not using and a small space heater. I live in Bridgewater, if your Dad has a pickup he can come and get it. My number is 603 744 5408 Gene

Thanks for the offer. Thankfully my dad just called and said the power is back!

A 50 hour outage is going to be hard to top.

Really though, out on the mountain today we were all talking about how its just Thanksgiving weekend.  It feels and looks like it should be X-mas.  I've had more snow this November at 750ft than I had last January...its hard for Novie to beat January so handily.

Except when compared to an extraordinarily snowless Jan - 1/2014 ranks 121st out of 122 Januarys at Farmington.  The 17" at my place is 3.3 times what I measured last Jan, and the most I've had in Nov since 1983, in Ft. Kent.

Still 10-11" deep here, trees remain loaded, at least down where I have to walk amidst them.  Deer trails from last night and this morning all over the east part of our woodlot.  I, of course, hunted the west part this morning.  One day remains.

A friend of mine near Lake Winni just got his power back.  He said his condo complex took a huge hit with the trees.  Arn't white birch native to NH?  They seem to always do poorly in wet snow and if they bend bad enough they don't come back.

White birch are among the most aggressive species for growing toward sunlight (rather than against gravity), and so are often well out of perpendicular even before storm effects, thus increasing their vulnerability.  They also have relatively fine twigs, offering more ice/snow targets than on coarse-twig trees like ash.  White birch frequently hybridizes with the weaker gray birch, another grow-to-the-light tree and one with even finer twigs.

Except when compared to an extraordinarily snowless Jan - 1/2014 ranks 121st out of 122 Januarys at Farmington. The 17" at my place is 3.3 times what I measured last Jan, and the most I've had in Nov since 1983, in Ft. Kent.

:lol: yeah last January was brutal. I'd take this month over that every single time.

Archived