Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't envy the short term desk right now...the forecast package usually is out by now but I bet someone is pulling their hair out haha.

Yeah letting people down on snow amounts is always brutal. They will probably get a few fun phone calls.

Observations past hour:

Burlington- snow/sleet.  Winooski- straight rain 38F. I-89 flipped back to sleet/snow down to 35F. Snow at Richmond exit. 34F.  Sleet and possibly straight rain in Bolton Flats.  Roads start to show a bit more slush.  Back to thick flakes and sleet heading up in elevation. Roads went to hell.  Waterbury roads were covered and very slick.  Ambulance passed us, follwed by flares and a flipped car right past Tanglewoods at the narrow bridge. Hope everyone is ok there. Heading up the Hill 31 F. Home 33F.  

Up the hill, slick and sleet/snow with mostly sleet now.   

edit:   1.8"

Wow, BTV going with it still...6-10" tonight?

Tonight...Snow until midnight...then snow or sleet after midnight. Additional snow and sleet accumulation of 6 to 10 inches. Lows in the upper 20s. North winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

It looks like they may ride out the warning then.

Event totals: 2.2” Snow/0.26" L.E.

I recently made the trip from Burlington to Waterbury, so I can pass along some observations with respect to this current system.  As I mentioned in a couple of posts today, where I was at UVM was one of the higher points on campus at around 400', and I never really saw anything but snow in terms of precipitation.  Accumulations were probably about an inch as of 3:00 P.M.  However, when I left campus and dropped down to I-89 around 300', in terms of precipitation there was notable mixing with, and even changing to rain.  It seemed like that little extra bit of elevation on campus was helping, because you could see that accumulations down there on the interstate were nowhere near what they were up on campus, and they were bordering on just a slushy coating.  The precipitation fluctuated between rain and snow at a temperature of ~35 F until I approached Williston, and then it flipped back to a steady wet snow.  Farther to the east in Richmond, the precipitation was all snow, but the intensity was notably lighter than what I'd encountered in the Champlain Valley, which was a pretty steady moderate.  The precipitation observed as I traveled up the Winooski Valley was mostly snow, with the temperature hovering around 34 F, but when I hit Bolton Flats it actually started to mix with rain again.  However, when I made that final leg of the trip up the pass along I-89, the temperature dropped to freezing, and the precipitation changed heartily over to all snow.  You could see the difference just that couple hundred feet made, as all the trees were caked with snow and the road had an inch or two of snow on it.

At the house I found 1.6" on the snowboard, and since the snow was getting a bit sleety and seemed to be changing, I decided to clear the board and get a liquid analysis.

Details from the 4:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.23 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.0

Snow Density: 14.4% H2O

Temperature: 31.6 F

Sky: Snow (2-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.0"

Patrol reports around 2" at the summit at 4pm...makes sense based on what I have down low.

Jay out to the early lead with 2-3" as of 2:30pm. Somehow they can be furthest from the precip shield and still do best ;). They'll have 15" by morning if they already had 3" at 2:30pm.

LOL-Jay.  they already have tomorrows snow report ready to roll.  no reason to get up early.

judging from the webcam it is snowing at the SB base.  If there has been any non crystalline precipitation there, it wasn't enough to dislodge the snow from the metal roofs.

Buddy in Fairlee, VT j (Upper CT River valley) just called to report the oddball snow there- 1.5" flakes/clumps falling with 3"+ on the deck there.  He wanted to know what was happening up here- which is epic rain.   It's like it's dumping at 2000' here, and melting right overhead.  Somebody is getting smoked tonight for sure. 

Wow at 5 we switched back to all snow and it dumped, not sure if this pic does justice, but huge snowball size flakes!!  Picked up 2" in 30 minutes!!!  Temp is up to 30F and we are still dumping.  3.0" total for storm.

Wow nice.  That band may be switching it over.

Pretty much a white rain right here now...there are some crystals and frozen chunks but for all intents and purposes its the same end result as rain.

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...
AS OF 500 PM EST TUESDAY...EXPECTING SOME AREAS OF HEAVY SNOW
THROUGH MIDNIGHT OR JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT...WITH PRECIPITATION
BECOMING LIGHTER AFTER MIDNIGHT AS A MID LEVEL DRY SLOT WORKS
NORTH ACROSS EASTERN VERMONT AND NEW HAMPSHIRE. WARMER AIR HAS
NOSED UP THROUGH WESTERN VERMONT WITH A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW AT
TIMES. EXPECTING ANY RAIN TO CHANGE TO SNOW IN THE CHAMPLAIN
VALLEY AS COLDER AIR WORKS ON NORTHERLY WINDS DOWN THE CHAMPLAIN
VALLEY. SNOW AMOUNTS ARE TRICKY FOR THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY AND WILL
BE DEPENDENT ON HOW LONG RAIN OR A RAIN AND SNOW MIX WILL PERSIST
TONIGHT. STILL EXPECTING A HEAVY SNOWFALL ACROSS THE ADIRONDACKS
AND NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST VERMONT...ESPECIALLY OVER THE
HIGHER TERRAIN. TEMPERATURES WILL NOT FALL MUCH OVERNIGHT GIVEN
CLOUD COVER AND WINDS.

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 500 PM EST TUESDAY...EXPECTING SOME AREAS OF HEAVY SNOW

THROUGH MIDNIGHT OR JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT...WITH PRECIPITATION

BECOMING LIGHTER AFTER MIDNIGHT AS A MID LEVEL DRY SLOT WORKS

NORTH ACROSS EASTERN VERMONT AND NEW HAMPSHIRE. WARMER AIR HAS

NOSED UP THROUGH WESTERN VERMONT WITH A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW AT

TIMES. EXPECTING ANY RAIN TO CHANGE TO SNOW IN THE CHAMPLAIN

VALLEY AS COLDER AIR WORKS ON NORTHERLY WINDS DOWN THE CHAMPLAIN

VALLEY. SNOW AMOUNTS ARE TRICKY FOR THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY AND WILL

BE DEPENDENT ON HOW LONG RAIN OR A RAIN AND SNOW MIX WILL PERSIST

TONIGHT. STILL EXPECTING A HEAVY SNOWFALL ACROSS THE ADIRONDACKS

AND NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST VERMONT...ESPECIALLY OVER THE

HIGHER TERRAIN. TEMPERATURES WILL NOT FALL MUCH OVERNIGHT GIVEN

CLOUD COVER AND WINDS.

Its a real reach at this point but we shall see.

Archived