AFDBTV

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

353 AM EST WED DEC 10 2014

.SYNOPSIS...

AN EARLY SEASON WINTER STORM WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT THE REGION

TODAY INTO THURSDAY WITH SCATTERED TO WIDESPREAD SNOWS AND MIXED

PRECIPITATION. PRECIPITATION GRADUALLY WANES AND COMES TO AN END BY

THIS COMING WEEKEND AS HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS EAST INTO THE REGION.

TEMPERATURES WILL AVERAGE SOME 3 TO 6 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL THROUGH

THE NEXT 7 DAYS WITH ARCTIC AIR REMAINING WELL NORTH OF THE AREA.

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 353 AM EST WEDNESDAY...LONG-DURATION WINTER STORM CONTINUES

TO AFFECT THE AREA TODAY WITH "ROUND TWO" SLUG OF ADDITIONAL PCPN

PUSHING WNW ACROSS VT/NRN NY BY AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING. MODELS

ALL CONSISTENT IN SHOWING THIS FEATURE AND THEIR TIMING/INTENSITY

APPEARS REASONABLE GIVEN A RATHER ROBUST REBLOSSOMING OF

CONVECTION ON THE NORTH WALL OF THE GULF STREAM SEEN ON IR IMAGERY

THIS MORNING. THERMAL PROFILES AGAIN QUITE TRICKY ACROSS

CENTRAL/WRN VT WHERE THE 925/850 MB 0C ISOTHERM WAFFLES ABOUT MOST

OF THE DAY/EARLY EVENING. FURTHER EAST PROFILES WARM CONSIDERABLY

SUCH THAT MUCH OF THE PCPN WILL FALL AS EITHER PLAIN RAIN OR A MIX

OF SLEET AND/OR ICE AT MID AND UPPER ELEVATIONS. ACROSS NRN NY

MAINLY ALL SNOW IS EXPECTED. ARRIVAL OF SECONDARY SURGE OF

STEADIER PCPN OCCURS ACROSS ERN COUNTIES BY LATE MORNING/EARLY

AFTERNOON...AND MID TO LATE AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING FURTHER WEST.

GIVEN EXPECTED P-TYPE...PCPN AMTS AND TIMING HAVE OPTED FOR

SEVERAL HEADLINE CHANGES WITH THIS PACKAGE. FIRSTLY...ALL WINTER

HEADLINES WILL BE EXTENDED TO 11 PM TO ACCOUNT FOR LATER END TIME

OF STEADIER PCPN THIS EVENING. SECONDLY...WINTER STORM WARNINGS

HAVE BEEN LOWERED TO WINTER WX ADVISORIES ACROSS OUR FAR ERN VT

COUNTIES WHERE ANY ADDITIONAL LIGHT PL/FZRA ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD

BE MINOR IN THE WARMER AIR. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS RANGING

FROM 1-4 INCHES ACROSS CENTRAL/WRN VT AND THE SLV TODAY...WITH

HIGHER AMTS OF 4-7 INCHES POSSIBLE IN THE ADIRONDACKS WITH BEST

ACCUMULATIONS OCCURRING TOWARD LATER IN THE DAY OR EARLY EVENING.

TEMPERATURES REMAIN NEARLY STEADY UNDER NEUTRAL LOW LEVEL THERMAL

ADVECTION...GENERALLY UPPER 20S TO MID 30S.

&&

.SHORT TERM /7 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY/...

AS OF 353 AM EST WEDNESDAY...BY THIS EVENING SECONDARY SURGE OF

PCPN CONTINUES TO PUSH EAST TO WEST ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA WITH

ADDITIONAL LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE FROM

CENTRAL VT WEST. THERMAL PROFILES AGAIN TRICKY...BUT MODEL

CONSENSUS NOW SHOWING A GRADUAL COOLING OF THE PROFILE THROUGH

TIME SUCH THAT WE COULD END UP SEEING A SIMILAR SITUATION OF A

TRANSITION TO A PERIOD OF HEAVY WET SNOW JUST ABOUT ANYWHERE

OUTSIDE OF FAR EASTERN VT. THIS WILL HAVE TO BE MONITORED CLOSELY

GIVEN CURRENT POWER OUTAGES AND LOAD STRESSES OF HEAVIER/WET SNOW

ON AREA TREES/POWER LINES. WHILE CONFIDENCE LEVEL IS ONLY MODEST

FOR THIS OCCURRING IN VT...ADDL ACCUMULATIONS OF 2-5 INCHES APPEAR

LIKELY ACROSS OUR NRN NY COUNTIES OUTSIDE AREAS RIGHT ALONG LAKE

CHAMPLAIN. BY LATER TONIGHT STEADIER/HEAVIER PCPN CONTINUES TO

PUSH WEST AND WEAKEN ACROSS CENTRAL NY INTO THE EASTERN LAKE

ONTARIO REGION/SLV. SOME ADDL VERY LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS STILL

POSSIBLE BUT INTENSITY SHOULD BE LESSENING CONSIDERABLY. LOWS

REMAIN UNIFORM...MID 20S TO LOWER 30S.

BY THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY LARGE-SCALE UPPER LOW CONTINUES TO

DUMBBELL/ROTATE ACROSS CENTRAL/NRN NEW ENGLAND...ESSENTIALLY GOING

NOWHERE WHILE SLOWLY WEAKENING. WHILE SYSTEM SLOWLY FILLS PROFILES

ALOFT GRADUALLY COOL AS WARM THERMAL ADVECTIVE PROCESSES BECOME

SEPARATED FROM THE INNER CIRCULATION. THUS CLOUDY SKIES AND PERIODIC

EPISODES OF LIGHT SNOW/SHSN STILL A GOOD BET WITH ADDITIONAL

ACCUMULATIONS LIKELY ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN. SOME BRIEF MIX WITH

RAIN POSSIBLE IN THE LOWER VALLEY LOCATIONS DURING MAX HEATING IN

THE EARLY/MID AFTERNOON. IN FACT...AS CENTRAL OF LOW TRENDS SLIGHTLY

EAST OVER TIME...MID LEVEL FLOW TRENDS LIGHT NORTHWESTERLY AND

BLOCKED SO SOME OF THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS WILL CONTINUE TO DO QUITE

WELL ON ADDL LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...SOMETHING THE RESORTS SHOULD

BE QUITE HAPPY WITH. TEMPERATURES AGAIN REALLY GOING NOWHERE WITH

DAILY HIGHS IN THE 30S AND OVERNIGHT LOWS FROM 25 TO 30.

&&

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...

AS OF 353 AM EST WEDNESDAY...ON FRIDAY LATE EVENING THE UPPER

LEVEL LOW WILL BE CENTERED ALMOST DIRECTLY OVER VERMONT AND WILL

BE SLOWLY DRIFTING SOUTH MOVING INTO SUNDAY. WITH THE 700MB AND

500MB FLOW ORIENTED NORTH TO NORTH NORTHWEST THERE WILL BE

FAVOURABLE CONDITIONS FOR UPSLOPE SNOW SHOWERS IN THE HIGHER

TERRAIN OF THE GREENS AND THE ADIRONDACKS SO I KEPT IN CHANCE

WORDING OF SNOW SHOWERS IN THE GRIDS. RIGHT NOW BASED ON A

CONSENSUS OF MODELED QPF WE WOULD BE LOOKING AT 1-3 INCHES OVER

THE GREENS WITH 1-2 OVER THE ADIRONDACKS. IN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY

ACCUMULATIONS WOULD RANGE FROM A DUSTING TO MAYBE AN INCH. BY

SATURDAY THE UPPER LEVEL LOW WILL HAVE DRIFTED FAR ENOUGH OFF CAPE

COD THAT CHANCES FOR ANY ORGANIZED SNOW POTENTIAL WILL BE WEAK. IF

ANYTHING THERE MAY STILL BE SOME UPSLOPE SNOW SHOWER ACTIVITY OVER

THE SPINE OF THE GREENS BUT THATS A SMALL CHANCE RIGHT NOW.

Interesting reports from Sugarloaf and SR. Sugarloaf claims 14-18" new, while SR only 3". Looking at SL pic on homepage shows some decent snow around the village, but no way 14-18" I'm sure it was up top since someone on sugarloaf chat said they had 6" as of 8pm last night. But still, that's a big difference between the two mountains. No reports from Saddleback.

Interesting reports from Sugarloaf and SR. Sugarloaf claims 14-18" new, while SR only 3". Looking at SL pic on homepage shows some decent snow around the village, but no way 14-18" I'm sure it was up top since someone on sugarloaf chat said they had 6" as of 8pm last night. But still, that's a big difference between the two mountains. No reports from Saddleback.

I know a guy at the bottom of the access road that was out this morning with a yardstick and got 14" on the nose and another down the road estimated 12". Should be pretty reliable, but I'm not there, so I can't speak to it.  Seems reasonable that another 3000' up might hit 18".  SR can be a magnet for rain in some of these borderline events, further south and low.

I know a guy at the bottom of the access road that was out this morning with a yardstick and got 14" on the nose and another down the road estimated 12". Should be pretty reliable, but I'm not there, so I can't speak to it.  Seems reasonable that another 3000' up might hit 18".  SR can be a magnet for rain in some of these borderline events, further south and low.

good to know, thanks.

Jackman ripped off 4" in 45 minutes last night, so it could have piled up quickly.

about 2-3" max in BTV...highway conditions ranged from pure water to mixed slush to snow with little rhyme or reason.  Stowe was also wide ranging. Base area had maybe 3" and up top there was a very dense 10" (Stowe says 8" but I measured 10" in certain places. There was wind transport possibly).  Snow was incredible paste. Actually very tricky to ski with a grabby nature and wind pack on top.  Great base snow if it cools and becomes isothermal ....I'd had to punch through pow into this stuff as is. Goodbye ACL. 

Sadly I think quite a few people are going to charge...the top of many runs look chocked and ready to go. You gotta slurve the snow.  

Very interested in this next pulse of moisture. Thinking the mountains get another 4" or so of lighter snow over the next 24hrs. 

about 2-3" max in BTV...highway conditions ranged from pure water to mixed slush to snow with little rhyme or reason.  Stowe was also wide ranging. Base area had maybe 3" and up top there was a very dense 10" (Stowe says 8" but I measured 10" in certain places. There was wind transport possibly).  Snow was incredible paste. Actually very tricky to ski with a grabby nature and wind pack on top.  Great base snow if it cools and becomes isothermal ....I'd had to punch through pow into this stuff as is. Goodbye ACL. 

Sadly I think quite a few people are going to charge...the top of many runs look chocked and ready to go. You gotta slurve the snow.  

Very interested in this next pulse of moisture. Thinking the mountains get another 4" or so of lighter snow over the next 24hrs. 

Yeah the pasting is what made it interesting here. I wish I could get out into Real VT and take some pics but alas I must work. I will post some neighborhood shots I just grabbed quick soon enough.

about 2-3" max in BTV...highway conditions ranged from pure water to mixed slush to snow with little rhyme or reason. Stowe was also wide ranging. Base area had maybe 3" and up top there was a very dense 10" (Stowe says 8" but I measured 10" in certain places. There was wind transport possibly). Snow was incredible paste. Actually very tricky to ski with a grabby nature and wind pack on top.

I had the morning off, slept in and hanging out at home. About to head up and take a few runs. I told my colleague last night that if in doubt with snow totals, report a conservative total.

The scene tonight:

10633764_10102286718784139_3955394305933

10750482_10102286718809089_8381300085625

Had to drive through Winooski on my way home last night. I have snow tires on my car so I was fine,  but came across several who did not and they were not able to make it up the Winooski circle and up there hill!

I think the airport measured 5".

Had to drive through Winooski on my way home last night. I have snow tires on my car so I was fine,  but came across several who did not and they were not able to make it up the Winooski circle and up there hill!

I think the airport measured 5".

I call that all season hill for a reason :). I measured 3.5 but that was this morning and I am sure it compacted.

my p&c at 900' has 1-2" today, 2-4" tonight and 2-5" tomorrow/tomorrow night.

SB reported 8" base and 12" summit.  my reports are 12" at the base and closer to 16" up top.  for what that's worth.

what did Jay report? 30?

Everything I've read seems to indicate the snow should be picking up again soon for the MRV and Montpelier to even Burlington region.

The radar looks hollow up there now with a precip shield just to the east.  The precipitation in the east showing rain.

Any thoughts on when the snow picks up again?  I can't see much from the webcams unless its heavy snow.

Event totals: 3.6” Snow/1.61" L.E.

We accumulated another couple tenths of dense stuff overnight, with plenty of additional liquid in it.  We've had a heck of a lot of "snain" at the house since yesterday – I can’t remember a storm that has supported such a long stretch of continually mixed rain and snow the way this one has.  Leaving the house early this morning we were getting just a bit of that dry slot mist/sprinkle weather, and there were some flakes around Jonesville, but most of the way to Burlington was that misty stuff.  It was generally a degree or two above freezing, but the roads were tricky in some spots where the dense accumulations of snow were hard to clear.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.2

Snow Density: 45.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Sky: Sprinkles/Mist

Snow at the stake: 7.0"

For the Vermont ski areas, I've gathered the north to south listing of available snowfall totals up to this point below:

Jay Peak: 18”

Smuggler’s Notch: 10”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 12”

Mad River Glen: 8”

Sugarbush: 13”

Pico: 14”

Killington: 14”

Okemo: 10”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 11”

This snow has plenty of meat to it, so it may not be the highest quality fluff, but it sure will be a huge shot in the arm for the ski resorts as they get closer to the holiday season and ramp up on toward the rest of the season.

Apparently there's more snow to come as well.  Our valley forecast calls for a couple of additional inches today, and there could be several more inches in the mountains.  Winter Storm Warnings remain in effect throughout the area, and the latest advisories and projected accumulations maps from the BTV NWS are below.  There are now some areas of 18-24" shading in the Adirondacks and the spine of the Greens.

10DEC14A.jpg

10DEC14B.jpg

GYX obs list had reports from Bethel of 2.2" and 4.0", so SR may have been just to the wrong side of the razor's edge.  Eustis reported 11.5". 

Speaking of the razor's edge, the midlevels being just 1-2F too mild may have spelled the difference between my area's forecast 10-14" verifying and the 1.2" with 1.46" total precip that was actually measured.  I posted several days back that breaking even in snowpack from this event would be okay, and that's about how it's played out - very little frozen, but 1"+ of 33-34F rain didn't melt much of anything, either. 

GYX obs list had reports from Bethel of 2.2" and 4.0", so SR may have been just to the wrong side of the razor's edge.  Eustis reported 11.5". 

Speaking of the razor's edge, the midlevels being just 1-2F too mild may have spelled the difference between my area's forecast 10-14" verifying and the 1.2" with 1.46" total precip that was actually measured.  I posted several days back that breaking even in snowpack from this event would be okay, and that's about how it's played out - very little frozen, but 1"+ of 33-34F rain didn't melt much of anything, either. 

yeah we didn't lose much either, but this next slug of rain kinda hurts.

my p&c at 900' has 1-2" today, 2-4" tonight and 2-5" tomorrow/tomorrow night.

SB reported 8" base and 12" summit.  my reports are 12" at the base and closer to 16" up top.  for what that's worth.

what did Jay report? 30?

they called 14"-16"

they also are covered in 14-16", noticeably easier to move through up high, the skiing was better once it got busted up a bit., kinda wished for alpine bindings today.   winds were starting to crank again with  sleet and freezing drizzle.

35.6F  light rain.  Looks like a rainy afternoon as the snow should stay just southwest of here.  Still a soggy snowpack but nothing but an inch of slush to show from this storm.  Probably 25 miles NW of here looks quite different.   Is there still snow on the ground in Concord/Manchester NH?

Archived