• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Did PF just say QPF, LOL congrats guys that's some beautiful snow right there.

Most impressive Mansfield COOP report in a loooong time.  I'm going to have to do some research to see the last time that bucket up there caught 17" of snow in a 24 hour period.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
554 PM EST WED DEC 10 2014

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     1.98    28  23  25   HEAVY SNOW  17.0  30

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh trust me I know. It's all in fun. Climo wins.

I feel like we are the red-headed step child up here in VT. Storms that are real good for us can often be lackluster everywhere else, even in NNE, but then those systems that are good for like you-Dryslot down into SNE are usually toaster baths up here. Heck Dryslot pretty much doesn't even post in the NNE threads anymore ;).

Most impressive Mansfield COOP report in a loooong time. I'm going to have to do some research to see the last time that bucket up there caught 17" of snow in a 24 hour period.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
554 PM EST WED DEC 10 2014

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     1.98    28  23  25   HEAVY SNOW  17.0  30
Impressive, I like using 850 east wind sds for figuring out best QPF, models have issues with anamalous setups, seemed like a lock to me.,Biggest worry was type but figured dynamically cooling and elevation would croak you. Some beautiful stuff up there. Look forward to the white mountain pics. You ain't done yet this week on the MT

12-14" in Grand Isle. It drifts so bad up here with winds, especially in the fall and winter, that never stop. Its hard to get any good reading but that's what I'm going with.

I woke up to about 4" of heavy heavy snow on the plow truck around 2AM. It was a different feeling riding in to the Burlington area as the snow on the roads diminished considerably once I left South Hero over the sandbar. Usually it's more accumulations as you drive farther away from the lake when it's still liquid. The only other case I remember of areas near the lake getting more than further inland was when Burlington got 33" of super duper fluff, 6 years ago or so. 

Event totals: 9.6” Snow/2.41" L.E.

We headed down to Church Street in the mid afternoon period for a late lunch, and snow had started falling by that point, but it really ramped up while we were eating and it was falling at 1"+/hr by the time we were done.   It pounded heavy snow all afternoon into the evening in Burlington, and I'd say there was a half foot or more by the time I left in the evening.  Here at the house I found 6.0" on the snowboard.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 6.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.80 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.5

Snow Density: 13.3% H2O

Temperature: 31.1 F

Sky: Snow (5-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.0"

The forecast does call for another 2-4" overnight, but if anything like that heads this way it will be a while based on the radar – the snowfall has been very light since that big surge of moisture finally pushed past this area.  There are snow chances in the forecast right out through Saturday though.  The latest BTV NWS projected accumulations map is below:

10DEC14C.jpg

J.Spin's cam is looking pretty snowy this evening...curious what he's had so far between the two events.

Great timing on the inquiry PF, I just finished up my liquid analysis.  There was another 0.3" of accumulation after the 8:00 P.M. clearing, so 9.9" total for the event up to this point.  Pretty much in synch with what was going on in the Burlington area, it really pounded here this afternoon; there wasn't much of anything for accumulation visible on the web cam until ~2:00 P.M., and then it unloaded at ~1"/hr for several hours.

Great timing on the inquiry PF, I just finished up my liquid analysis. There was another 0.3" of accumulation after the 8:00 P.M. clearing, so 9.9" total for the event up to this point. Pretty much in synch with what was going on in the Burlington area, it really pounded here this afternoon; there wasn't much of anything for accumulation visible on the web cam until ~2:00 P.M., and then it unloaded at ~1"/hr for several hours.

Haha I was just thinking we haven't heard any obs from you lately and there they are. Great timing. Yeah I don't think we picked up near that amount...I'll probably go out and get a measurement at 10pm as it seems the snow is done. I'd guess 3-4" eyeballing it from this past round.

Groomers on the mountain seemed to think 5-6" as of 9pm when it was tapered off. Would put the ski area into that 20-inch range for a summit total so far.

Dude that second pic is postcard worthy.

That snow looks fluffier than here.

The second one is definitely a Christmas Card or something along those lines. It was definitely alot less concrete like than last night and alot drier. It was blowing around quite a bit. I hope for some good shots in the morning around here in daylight.

Very cool low level NE flow upslope going on in NE New York.  VAD showing a ENE low level wind, with a ESE mid-level wind, so probably fairly blocked with low level inversion in this type of situation.  Pretty cool radar to see the mid-level echoes moving from SE to NW off the Atlantic, while the meso-scale upslope echoes stay steady or tighten up as winds are slowly turning more northerly.  I must say there's some fascinating meso-scale stuff that seems to occur in any big storm around here; the general BTV forecast area is pretty good with that stuff, probably moreso than most other northeast regions.

Dec10_zpsx9hitfrl.gif

Very cool low level NE flow upslope going on in NE New York. VAD showing a ENE low level wind, with a ESE mid-level wind, so probably fairly blocked with low level inversion in this type of situation. Pretty cool radar to see the mid-level echoes moving from SE to NW off the Atlantic, while the meso-scale upslope echoes stay steady or tighten up as winds are slowly turning more northerly. I must say there's some fascinating meso-scale stuff that seems to occur in any big storm around here; the general BTV forecast area is pretty good with that stuff, probably moreso than most other northeast regions.

Dec10_zpsx9hitfrl.gif

That's sweet, pretty cool and a pretty rare sight to see on radar.

I'll tell ya what, those uber-juicy ARW (NAM family?) were right, haha.  Like 2-3" of liquid equivalent up here over a wise area.  Luckily winds have been pretty light or fairly non-existent or else power outages would be a widespread issue.   Even the summit was pretty calm relatively speaking for that height and a storm like this.  Had we had any real gusty winds, the power issues would've been much worse.  As it is, there are a decent amount of folks without power tonight...and a bunch more last night.  I've seen several social media posts of people without power.  Funny, no power but can still take a photo and share it with the world on the cell network.  Last night RT 100 was closed for about an hour for a large downed tree, and this evening it was closed due to 2 stuck tractor-trailers on a hill coming into Stowe from Waterbury.  Up here we aren't used to this real heavy wet snow with like 5:1 overall ratio due to sleet, rain, drizzle, freezing drizzle, etc mixing in at times during the storm.

Archived