Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eyewall, man... you give up so easily!!!!!!

I was really trying not to with this one but during what was supposed to be prime time of the event we are seeing rain and as of now it doesn't seem to be trying for a transition. There is a heavy band moving into the MPV area now and we will have to see what happens when that arrives. So far the temp is not really responding to those north winds (and creeped up a degree in the last couple of hours). Of course the new ob is due to be out any minute now. I can't help but be discouraged by what I am actually observing at the moment. As I said nobody had any real confidence in this event going in so it isn't a huge surprise. We need that high we had before this storm to be parked over Ontario :)

I saw a post in the observations thread about an update to the BTV NWS projected snowfall graphic, so I figured it was a good time to post the latest BTV NWS advisory and projected accumulations maps.  For the advisories map it looks like the changes have been to drop some winter weather advisories down south and add some flood watches:

09DEC14E.jpg

On the projected accumulations map the 10-14" areas are now along the Green Mountain spine in the Central to Northern Greens, and off in the Adirondacks:

09DEC14F.jpg

We were just outside for a walk and it's quite nice with respect to temperatures; these warm storms are fun in that way.  It was also pouring huge 1" flakes down on us, so that's a fun experience as well.  The flavor of the precipitation has certainly changed recently – it's very quiet now whereas before there was that sleety composition that had some noise to it.  Now it's just huge wet flakes that fall straight down with little to alert you of their presence… aside from their massive size at least.  We're at about 3" here for the storm total, but it's certainly a very dense 3".  We've actually just about hit that low end of the 3"-5" forecast that the BTV NWS had for use today, so it hasn’t been totally off the mark.  The plow just made a run through the road, which will be helpful because it doesn’t take too much of this dense stuff to make travel difficult.  We'll have to see what happens this evening…

On that note, I highlighted a couple of interesting parts of the latest Winter Storm Warning update below – they seem consistent with the change in the snowfall we've seen going on out there recently:

NYZ029>031-034-035-VTZ006-008>012-016>019-101000-

/O.CON.KBTV.WS.W.0007.000000T0000Z-141210T2200Z/

SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CLINTON-

WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-LAMOILLE-WASHINGTON-WESTERN ADDISON-

ORANGE-WESTERN RUTLAND-WINDSOR-EASTERN FRANKLIN-

EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-EASTERN RUTLAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...STAR LAKE...SARANAC LAKE...

TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA...LAKE PLACID...PORT HENRY...

TICONDEROGA...JOHNSON...STOWE...MONTPELIER...MIDDLEBURY...

VERGENNES...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH...RUTLAND...SPRINGFIELD...

WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...

BRISTOL...RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD...KILLINGTON

633 PM EST TUE DEC 9 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EST

WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON CONTINUES THE WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND MIXED PRECIPITATION...UNTIL 5 PM

EST WEDNESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS OF NEW YORK...AS WELL AS

CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY WET SNOW AND MIXED WINTRY PRECIPITATION.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES OF HEAVY DENSE SNOW AND

SLEET...ALONG WITH UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE. THE BEST

POTENTIAL FOR ICING WILL BE ACROSS ELEVATIONS BETWEEN 1000 AND

2000 FEET IN ORANGE AND WINDSOR COUNTIES IN VERMONT. SNOWFALL

AMOUNTS IN THE IMMEDIATE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY WILL RANGE FROM 4 TO 8

INCHES...WITH SNOW MIXED WITH RAIN THROUGH THIS EVENING.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR...MAINLY BETWEEN

9 PM AND 2 AM.

* TIMING...MIXED WINTRY PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO A PERIOD OF

HEAVY WET SNOW FOR SEVERAL HOURS LATE THIS EVENING INTO THE

OVERNIGHT HOURS. PERIODS OF LIGHTER MIXED PRECIPITATION ARE

EXPECTED THROUGH THE DAY ON WEDNESDAY.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL BECOME DIFFICULT DUE TO SNOW

COVERED ROADS AND VISIBILITIES OCCASIONALLY DROPPING BELOW ONE

HALF MILE. IN ADDITION...THE WEIGHT OF THE SNOW AND LIGHT ICE

ACCUMULATIONS MAY LEAD TO SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES. SNOW AMOUNTS

WILL VARY BY ELEVATION WITH TEMPERATURES NEAR FREEZING...AND

ROAD CONDITIONS WILL BE HIGHLY VARIABLE.

* WINDS...NORTH 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...NEARLY STEADY BETWEEN 30 AND 33 DEGREES.

* VISIBILITIES...REDUCED TO A QUARTER OF A MILE AT TIMES TONIGHT.

GENERALLY 1 TO 2 MILES ON WEDNESDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING.  SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF

SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN

AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...

FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

I'm usually not one to throw out hyperbolic phrases but it absolutely ripping right now, about as hard as I have ever seen. Giant flakes, almost like someone is throwing snowballs at you from the sky. Went to the snowmobile club Christmas part up the street at 6:30 and there must be close to 6" an hour and a half later. I may have to get the snowblower out now before it gets too heavy and deep.

Heaviest snow I've seen this winter. Insane gradient too. Like 4" at home and nuking and maybe 2" with rain snow mix closer to the mountain.

What the heck is going on in Stowe to cause that PF? Seems further toward the mountain would be a bit more easterly upslope?

I hope the mountain itself is Snowing, A good weenie would drive to the mountain at 1600' and capture the transition to snow ! Which I hope it's doing at the mountain base

Heaviest snow I've seen this winter. Insane gradient too. Like 4" at home and nuking and maybe 2" with rain snow mix closer to the mountain.

Yeah, that band has indeed injected some vigor into the snowfall – some 2-3" diameter flakes out there.  The boys and I were just out catching them and they can be quite a mouthful.

I'm usually not one to throw out hyperbolic phrases but it absolutely ripping right now, about as hard as I have ever seen. Giant flakes, almost like someone is throwing snowballs at you from the sky. Went to the snowmobile club Christmas part up the street at 6:30 and there must be close to 6" an hour and a half later. I may have to get the snowblower out now before it gets too heavy and deep.

Glad to see others enjoying those massive flakes, those were some of the largest I have seen at that intensity!!

31F with just some light ice pellets and flakes.  Looks like on radar it will be quiet for a bit now.  Ended up spending almost an hour digging out my neighbor who slipped off the driveway.  We are at 5.7" for the storm.

If you go to the zoomed in maps the totals are way up over here and the point and click here is crazy for tonight

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.32458490920509&lon=-72.16695785522461#.VIePx8mCOSN

Calling for 7-11 inches tonight.

Had some issue with the zoomed in maps. Even though the time stamp is updating, the maps are still old.

Archived