• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

I'll tell ya what, those uber-juicy ARW (NAM family?) were right, haha. Like 2-3" of liquid equivalent up here over a wise area. Luckily winds have been pretty light or fairly non-existent or else power outages would be a widespread issue. Even the summit was pretty calm relatively speaking for that height and a storm like this. Had we had any real gusty winds, the power issues would've been much worse. As it is, there are a decent amount of folks without power tonight...and a bunch more last night. I've seen several social media posts of people without power. Funny, no power but can still take a photo and share it with the world on the cell network. Last night RT 100 was closed for about an hour for a large downed tree, and this evening it was closed due to 2 stuck tractor-trailers on a hill coming into Stowe from Waterbury. Up here we aren't used to this real heavy wet snow with like 5:1 overall ratio due to sleet, rain, drizzle, freezing drizzle, etc mixing in at times during the storm.

The WRF ARW is an underused model in my opinion for the short-term, within 24 hours. I've seen it nail cutoffs, precip banding, and precipitation shield structure. Of course it has its busts too, and one caveat is that it usually overdoes QPF by quite a bit, like most wrfs. It was also one of the few models to show just how large the extent of warming there was on Tuesday with rain up to us and Binghamton, and the massive bust in the Poconos.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The second one is definitely a Christmas Card or something along those lines. It was definitely alot less concrete like than last night and alot drier. It was blowing around quite a bit. I hope for some good shots in the morning around here in daylight.

the snow in Burlington was definitely lighter than the stuff in Waterbury last night.  More of it, too, from my estimation.  Colder air aloft to the north and west?

13.7 inches since yesterday, for a two-day storm total of 19.4 inches.  i haven't melted the snow yet from yesterday's storm, but it may be an underestimate, as the cylinder was over-topped by 4 inches and may have missed collecting snow.  It's absolutely impressive out, with trees cracking every now and then under the weight of the snow.

13.7 inches since yesterday, for a two-day storm total of 19.4 inches.  i haven't melted the snow yet from yesterday's storm, but it may be an underestimate, as the cylinder was over-topped by 4 inches and may have missed collecting snow.  It's absolutely impressive out, with trees cracking every now and then under the weight of the snow.

It really is! I will be posting a picnic table shot as well for Powder once I am done with my morning round of work. The park I went to had quite a bit of tree damage.

Storm total 2.70" as of 7 AM.  Saw a patch of blue and peek of sun as I reached AUG this morning, but it's back to mid-30s RA, with radar showing globs of precip coming in off the Atlantic.  We'll probably see flakes before the end, but my area almost never bags anything from wraparound.  Still 9" at the stake, probably about 3:1 ratio by this time.

We've been stuck in the in-between zone around here--waffling back & forth between snow, sleet, ZR and plain rain.

5" of "snow" thus far with a liquid content of 1.77"  :axe:

The real kicker has been that we've been out of power for two days now....

Ouch.  We did much better over in Barre, I am guessing 14".  Unfortunately, I have been lax about measuring so I would say that is give or take an inch or two.  We were wailed for several hours Tuesday night with a band that dropped about 6 inches in 2 hours.  Hope you get your power back soon.  I have friends in Woodbury that have been out since Tuesday night.

great shots.  keep 'em coming.

more on the way?

ROKEN RECORD FORECAST THEN CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY/FRIDAY NIGHT AS
UPPER LOW CENTER GRADUALLY DROPS SOUTH AND EAST OFFSHORE WITH MOIST
NORTHWESTERLY FLOW REMAINING ATOP THE REGION FOSTERING SCT/NUMEROUS
SHSN ACROSS THE NRN/NRN MTNS. COVERAGE WILL TEND TO BECOME MORE TIED
TO THE TERRAIN OVER TIME WITH GRADUAL DRYING EXPECTED IN THE LOWER
ELEVATIONS. WHILE ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE RELATIVELY LIGHT IN ANY
GIVEN 12-HR FORECAST PERIOD...I WOULDN`T BE SURPRISED TO SEE
ADDITIONAL 3-DAY TOTALS ACROSS THE NRN MTNS IN THE 6-12 INCH
RANGE
...2-5 INCHES IN THE NRN VALLEYS...AND TRACE TO 2 INCHES IN THE
SOUTHERN VALLEYS. TEMPERATURES REMAIN SEASONALLY COOL AND UNIFORM
FRI/FRI NT WITH HIGHS/LOWS VERY SIMILAR TO TODAY/TONIGHT.

Event totals: 10.4” Snow/2.49" L.E.

We picked up another 0.8" during the overnight period, and it was down to a water content of 10% H20, so the snow has been getting drier and drier in this area as this storm has progressed.  That's actually a great setup for improving the skiing on the slopes.  Light snow was falling at the house at observations time this morning, and as I traveled west toward the Champlain Valley it was back and forth between light snow and light mist.  The Jonesville area seemed to have picked up one of the bigger shots of snow along my route, and that was evident from how low the power lines were hanging due to the heavy accumulations.  The last few miles of approach to Burlington actually had the heaviest snowfall today; it was still fairly light to moderate, but the flakes were larger than anywhere else on my route.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 30.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.0"

The point forecast has some additional inches shown over the next few days, so perhaps there will be more to add to the totals for this event.

Speaking of totals, I checked on the storm totals for the Vermont ski areas as of this morning, and the north to south listing is below:

Jay Peak: 24”

Smuggler’s Notch: 16”

Stowe: 19”

Bolton Valley: 20”

Mad River Glen: 31”

Sugarbush: 20”

Pico: 24”

Killington: 24”

Okemo: 13”

Bromley: 16”

Stratton: 16”

Mount Snow: 15”

Event totals: 10.4” Snow/2.49" L.E.

We picked up another 0.8" during the overnight period, and it was down to a water content of 10% H20, so the snow has been getting drier and drier in this area as this storm has progressed.  That's actually a great setup for improving the skiing on the slopes.  Light snow was falling at the house at observations time this morning, and as I traveled west toward the Champlain Valley it was back and forth between light snow and light mist.  The Jonesville area seemed to have picked up one of the bigger shots of snow along my route, and that was evident from how low the power lines were hanging due to the heavy accumulations.  The last few miles of approach to Burlington actually had the heaviest snowfall today; it was still fairly light to moderate, but the flakes were larger than anywhere else on my route.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 30.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.0"

The point forecast has some additional inches shown over the next few days, so perhaps there will be more to add to the totals for this event.

Speaking of totals, I checked on the storm totals for the Vermont ski areas as of this morning, and the north to south listing is below:

Jay Peak: 24”

Smuggler’s Notch: 16”

Stowe: 19”

Bolton Valley: 20”

Mad River Glen: 31”

Sugarbush: 20”

Pico: 24”

Killington: 24”

Okemo: 13”

Bromley: 16”

Stratton: 16”

Mount Snow: 15”

that mad river total looks like an error.  they are opening saturday which is way early for them.

Archived