joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a 2009 1200. Great sled. Doubt I'll ever go back to to 2 stroke.

I will have one some day, The 1200 gade will be my next, Just had mine finished up, Fresh rebuild, And went V-force reeds, They called me yesterday and told me she is a fast mofo for an 800, And they only took it up to 5,000 rpms

post-1154-0-63201600-1418489608_thumb.jp

God I love big dumps.  Haha.

Just plastered in snow up here.  Last time I saw the mountain this caked paste was the April 2010 upslope event that brought 2 feet on 3" of liquid.  Very similar snow ratio and end effect, except that storm was mostly rain below 1,500ft.

This is RT 108 heading into the Notch. This is a main road in the summer.  Some serious tree issues in spots.

God I love big dumps.  Haha.

Just plastered in snow up here.  Last time I saw the mountain this caked paste was the April 2010 upslope event that brought 2 feet on 3" of liquid.  Very similar snow ratio and end effect, except that storm was mostly rain below 1,500ft.

This is RT 108 heading into the Notch. This is a main road in the summer.  Some serious tree issues in spots.

attachicon.gifwinter1.jpg

attachicon.gifwinter2.jpg

attachicon.gifwinter3.jpg

attachicon.gifwinter4.jpg

Glad you were talking about snow

After a couple hours break, another 2.7" on 0.12" LE from 9-noon, including 2.5" from 9-11.  Now up to 7.5" from The Little Band That Could.  Kind of fun splitting wood inside a snowglobe.  My haywire fix on the snowblower clutch cable worked, too.  Still light snow falling, but clouds have thinned to where the sun is a bright dot, and with temps 31-32, I'm guessing the 20+ to one snow is settling faster than the new stuff can accumulate.  About 15" at the stake, probably will settle 3-4" in the next 24 hr.

Pretty boring weather here.  Nice to see Vermont get snow.  This whole storm system netted me 1" new.   Been boring at my brothers house in Aspen too.  They have not had snow in over 10 days.  Slow melt at his elevation.  Looks like they will get some snow from that California system tonight.  View from his deck of Aspen mountain this PM

post-268-0-42489900-1418502896_thumb.jpg

Event totals: 14.8” Snow/2.71" L.E.

It looks like this event might be finishing up, but it's been a fun cut off system and the largest storm of the season so far.  The past three rounds of snowfall data are below:

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.3

Snow Density: 7.5% H2O

Temperature: 30.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 13.5"

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.7

Snow Density: 6.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 13.0"

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 27.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 13.0"

Updates to the storm totals for the Vermont ski areas as of this morning are listed below, north to south.  In general it looks like this storm was in the range of 2+ feet for the Central and northern Vermont resorts, and 12-18" for the Southern Vermont Resorts

Jay Peak: 33”

Smuggler’s Notch: 23”

Stowe: 22”

Bolton Valley: 24”

Mad River Glen: 31”

Sugarbush: 23”

Pico: 27”

Killington: 27”

Okemo: 14”

Bromley: 17”

Stratton: 17”

Mount Snow: 16”

We're about 18" ahead of average snowfall for this season at the house.  With 21.9" for December, we're on about average pace for the month, so a lot of the good start is still coming from that better than average November.  Still, the only season in my records setting a faster pace in terms of snowfall as of December 13th was 2007-2008 with 47.7" as of this date, so this season is just a few inches behind that impressive pace.

The next opportunity for snow appears to be with a trough of low pressure approaching from the Great Lakes/Ohio Valley during the midweek timeframe.

Looks like Wildcat did the best out of the nh resorts or did Breton woods do better?

So often the cat nearly doubles the Attitash totals (usually in borderline events )

I have wed-tues vaca , not sure where i will ski but wildcat or greens it will be !

Nice to see Saddleback and Sugarloaf far enough east to cash in last night with moderate event, extremely rare outside of northern greens to see such a + surprise snow. Sunday river was to far west

Looks like Wildcat did the best out of the nh resorts or did Breton woods do better?

So often the cat nearly doubles the Attitash totals (usually in borderline events )

I have wed-tues vaca , not sure where i will ski but wildcat or greens it will be !

Nice to see Saddleback and Sugarloaf far enough east to cash in last night with moderate event, extremely rare outside of northern greens to see such a + surprise snow. Sunday river was to far west

I skied Bretton Woods yesterday and Wildcat today. Wildcat has MUCH more natural snow - looks like they just got snow and some freezing rain (which really made the trees look beautiful), while Bretton Woods was more of a sloppy mix with a bit of powder on top. That said, Bretton Woods also had fantastic conditions, but I imagine a lot of that is from their impeccable grooming. Wildcat was certainly superior in terms of snow covered landscape however.

Its's the one weather picture that has never been taking from the ground  (a quality picture).  I would think you would have to be on a small island in a Cat 4/5 hurricane and be perfectly in the middle of the eye to look all around you of tilted back CuB.   A bit like those Buffalo pictures of the snow squall edge just 360F around you.  They say you can hear the roar of the winds several miles away.  I keep teasing Josh M that he needs to get in a perfect eye during the day to capture one of these pictures that has only been seen from hurricane hunter planes.

Archived