• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Nice pic!  Glad you got your power back.  I had a friend just get theirs back yesterday. 

Funny how there have been two snowstorms so far this year and both have been significant power impacts from ME/NH in the first one, and VT in the second one. 

You sound like you have the same snow as here, 10-12" on the ground and like 3" of liquid in there, haha.

I'd call it three storms, as the Nov. 1-2 storm ripped down limbs and lines from midcoast Maine to the province of New Brunswick, though most of NNE was west of any impact.

My 10" pack might have as much as 3.5 to 4" LE, as I've had 5.67" total precip for the period beginning with the Thanksgiving Eve storm.  Most of last week's 2.84" was rain, but low-mid 30s melted very little, and the pack might've soaked up half of what fell.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd call it three storms, as the Nov. 1-2 storm ripped down limbs and lines from midcoast Maine to the province of New Brunswick, though most of NNE was west of any impact.

My 10" pack might have as much as 3.5 to 4" LE, as I've had 5.67" total precip for the period beginning with the Thanksgiving Eve storm. Most of last week's 2.84" was rain, but low-mid 30s melted very little, and the pack might've soaked up half of what fell.

You are totally right...I forgot about that early season storm. 3 NNE events, 3 widespread power issues.

Jesus what a December there. That's incredible. I wish i was there to see all that.

Here's a shot from our grooming fleet doing the Gondola trails this morning at sunrise...

The amazing thing to me is that this is still a result of that storm system...it brought us a bunch of snow, then a gnarly 3-4 day inversion that is pretty much unlike anything I've ever seen up here before.  We get inversions for a morning or something, but not like this for 4 days straight of ridiculous cloud formations.  It started with the waterfall cloud coming over the ridge as the inversion lowered to ridge level, then yesterday sat quite low, and now today is starting to rise back up.

What's also amazing but sucks for photos, is the amount of rime inside that cloud layer right now.  That layer has been moist and cold for 3 days at mid-elevations and there's like up to 8" of rime in spots on trees and lifts.  It literally is like milk inside the cloud so not good for pics, but hopefully that stuff stays on during this brief little event and we can take some pics after it clears out.

We've also had flurries at times in the base area.  So its mostly sunny at the summit, with flurries falling at the base of the mountain.  Pretty crazy.  35F up in the sun, and 23F down under the cloud.

If our snow survives the next couple of days we may have at least a glacier for Christmas. As for the mountains I am hoping for Bolton to get some freshies when I head there Thu and Fri.

I know it melts fast in the CPV, but I can't imagine that QPF soaked snow goes anywhere quickly.  The only thing is that southerly flow warm hair dryer in the valley (like when its in the 40s and gusting 30-40mph out of the south all night), but the next couple days aren't that warm or that strong of a south flow.

If our snow survives the next couple of days we may have at least a glacier for Christmas. As for the mountains I am hoping for Bolton to get some freshies when I head there Thu and Fri.

Just booked Thur Evening there (Bolton)  ,thou I will be arriving to the mountain around 10 am Thursday. (prob use my 29$ pre xmas Life ticket)

http://www.weather.gov/btv/4kmwrf   BTV WRF lights up the spine

Archived