EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
November 2014 Banter

Kay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have a recommendation for an accurate max/min thermometer?  I'm thinking about the Ambient WS-11 because it's the most "accurate" that I have been able to find (+/- 1 degree), which frankly, doesn't seem that accurate to me.  But I've also decided not to invest in a complete weather station like a Davis.  I've got a CoCaRaHS rain gauge that I really like, and I'm not all that concerned about wind speed, so a good thermometer would be enough.  If it measured pressure and humidity accurately, all the better.

Any suggestions?

I've been on a biscotti kick the past couple of weeks.  So good!

Baking must be in the air. Made sweet potato muffins, a loaf of braided challah and cheddar n kale biscuits this weekend. #carbaggedon

Fall/Winter weather always puts me in the mood to bake. The warm oven on and the smell of spices or yeast, ahhh two of my favorite things. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for an accurate max/min thermometer?  I'm thinking about the Ambient WS-11 because it's the most "accurate" that I have been able to find (+/- 1 degree), which frankly, doesn't seem that accurate to me.  But I've also decided not to invest in a complete weather station like a Davis.  I've got a CoCaRaHS rain gauge that I really like, and I'm not all that concerned about wind speed, so a good thermometer would be enough.  If it measured pressure and humidity accurately, all the better.

Any suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-WS-9080U-IT-Temperature-Self-setting/dp/B0013HO0E6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1415588962&sr=8-10&keywords=min+max+thermometers

Best and cheapest min/max thermometer I know of. I have one, and it's as accurate as my Davis. It has a decent range too... about 330 feet. The only problem is it can't get wet (big problem lol). Also, it has no radiation shield.

So, it's a good little cheap thermo for shady areas or reading low temps.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-WS-9080U-IT-Temperature-Self-setting/dp/B0013HO0E6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1415588962&sr=8-10&keywords=min+max+thermometers

Best and cheapest min/max thermometer I know of. I have one, and it's as accurate as my Davis. It has a decent range too... about 330 feet. The only problem is it can't get wet (big problem lol). Also, it has no radiation shield.

So, it's a good little cheap thermo for shady areas or reading low temps.

Thanks for your suggestion. That was also on my list of possibilities.

It did move me. Made some Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies yesterday. They are super yummy with a cup of tea with a shot of Pumpkin Spiced Kahlua.  :santa:

I googled this. Intriguing! Do you add cayenne or is the heat already in the hot chocolate?

I haven't baked but I've fired up the oven and roasted vegetables and I s'pose that counts for something.

I googled this. Intriguing! Do you add cayenne or is the heat already in the hot chocolate?

I haven't baked but I've fired up the oven and roasted vegetables and I s'pose that counts for something.

You add a 1/4 tsp of Cayenne to the sugar and cinnamon mixture you roll the cookies in. Just enough to take the baking cocoa and make it super good! And I am not a Martha Stewart fan but these cookies are so good. 

http://www.marthastewart.com/336516/mexican-hot-chocolate-cookies

I got one a few weeks ago and yesterday the high-low function mysteriously stopped working

I'm going to take out the batteries and reset it to see if that works

it may have been from some a little rain getting on, idk

Thanks, Mitch.  Many of the reviews talk about something mysteriously going awry on these digital therms.  It's not exclusive to any vendor either. 

I am leaning towards giving the Ambient one a try.  It's somewhat more expensive at $60, but it has the barometer and hygrometer, though I don't know that they are super accurate.  But I'd be fine with barometric trends, so a little error there wouldn't bother me.  I'm more interested in accurate min/current/and max temps.

Archived