Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Gonzalo

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how prepared Bermuda is. I don't think they have been hit with a major hurricane since 1927.

1) They were hit by a major (Fabian) in 2003 and by major Edna in 1953. They were hit by four in the 1920's-40's.

2) Besides getting prepared, there is still a big mess to deal with from Fay:

"2014. October 12. Bermuda was hit by Hurricane Fay which had been forecast to pass to the east as a tropical storm. Instead it strengthened suddenly and passed directly over Bermuda. Residents experienced 80-120 mph gusting winds later reported to have peaked at 155 mph. Coconut trees and other trees collapsed, blocking access to houses. Many roofs were damaged. All schools were closed as a result and one of the government schools lost its roof. Two thirds of homes lost electricity as power lines were blown down or broken by trees.  Electricity outages meant no power, no running water, no flushing toilets, no fridges or air conditioning, no radio or TV or Internet. Many boats were wrecked and shipping containers blown from the Port Of Hamilton into the harbour. This was a fast, furious and very short-lived hurricane of just a couple of hours duration."

http://www.bermuda-online.org/climateweather.htm

1) They were hit by a major (Fabian) in 2003 and by major Edna in 1953. They were hit by four in the 1920's-40's.

"2014. October 12. Bermuda was hit by Hurricane Fay which had been forecast to pass to the east as a tropical storm. Instead it strengthened suddenly and passed directly over Bermuda. Residents experienced 80-120 mph gusting winds later reported to have peaked at 155 mph. Coconut trees and other trees collapsed, blocking access to houses. Many roofs were damaged. All schools were closed as a result and one of the government schools lost its roof. Two thirds of homes lost electricity as power lines were blown down or broken by trees.  Electricity outages meant no power, no running water, no flushing toilets, no fridges or air conditioning, no radio or TV or Internet. Many boats were wrecked and shipping containers blown from the Port Of Hamilton into the harbour. This was a fast, furious and very short-lived hurricane of just a couple of hours duration."

What? 155 mph seems a tad high lol

I think they meant to write 80-120 km/h, which is 50-75 mph.  

It's probably going thru ERC looking at the latest available MW imagery, which shows the pinhole eye starting to erode, while a bigger one is getting established. It's not going to have a small eye after the ERC finishes. Also, models expand the area of TS winds, so it won't be as compact when it approaches Bermuda. It's a well timed ERC, since today is going to be the day of lowest shear overall.

It's probably going thru ERC looking at the latest available MW imagery, which shows the pinhole eye starting to erode, while a bigger one is getting established. It's not going to have a small eye after the ERC finishes. Also, models expand the area of TS winds, so it won't be as compact when it approaches Bermuda. It's a well timed ERC, since today is going the day of lowest shear overall.

Yep

f77f17b1fde11ebd7ed8e40abdd2835c.jpg

URNT12 KNHC 151327
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL082014
A. 15/13:06:00Z
B. 23 deg 16 min N
067 deg 48 min W
C. 700 mb 2640 m
D. 116 kt
E. 053 deg 3 nm
F. 151 deg 123 kt
G. 055 deg 4 nm
H. 950 mb
I. 10 C / 3060 m
J. 16 C / 3047 m
K. 12 C / NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. CO4-25
N. 12345 / 07
O. 0.02 / 0.5 nm
P. AF302 0708A GONZALO OB 10
MAX FL WIND 123 KT 055 / 4 NM 13:04:00Z
CNTR DROPSONDE SFC WIND 240 / 18 KT
PEA SIZED HAIL IN OUTER EYEWALL W SIG LIGHTNING

000WTNT33 KNHC 151454TCPAT3BULLETINHURRICANE GONZALO ADVISORY NUMBER  13NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL0820141100 AM AST WED OCT 15 2014...GONZALO STRENGTHENS TO A CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE...SUMMARY OF 1100 AM AST...1500 UTC...INFORMATION-----------------------------------------------LOCATION...23.5N 68.0WABOUT 640 MI...1025 KM SSW OF BERMUDAMAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/HPRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 320 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/HMINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...949 MB...28.03 INCHES

First Cat 4 in the Atlantic since Ophelia.

It's probably going thru ERC looking at the latest available MW imagery, which shows the pinhole eye starting to erode, while a bigger one is getting established. It's not going to have a small eye after the ERC finishes. Also, models expand the area of TS winds, so it won't be as compact when it approaches Bermuda. It's a well timed ERC, since today is going to be the day of lowest shear overall.

Yea looking a little better again

Having an excuse to go to Hawaii seems like an easy decision :thumbsup:

To be fair, so does having an excuse for traveling to Bermuda :sizzle:

I was actually supposed to take a vacation in Bermuda tomorrow through next Tuesday, but had to cancel for work-related reasons.  A sick part of me is disappointed and would have loved to ride Gonzalo out.

Josh will likely be going after Ana and covering it for TWC instead of Gonzalo.

Had a flight booked with typical last minute back and forth making it a hard decision.

I'm surprised by this as I think there is a lot more bust potential with Ana -- it may not even become a hurricane and it could pretty easily miss Hawaii entirely. Furthermore, the best case scenario with Ana is a cat 1, vs a cat 3 with Gonzalo at Bermuda. I hope he reconsiders.

I'm surprised by this as I think there is a lot more bust potential with Ana -- it may not even become a hurricane and it could pretty easily miss Hawaii entirely. Furthermore, the best case scenario with Ana is a cat 1, vs a cat 3 with Gonzalo at Bermuda. I hope he reconsiders.

I think it's because TWC wanted him in Hawaii. But yeah, I agree.

118kt flight level (700mb)/99kt SFMR with the first recon pass this evening.  955mb on the drop with 22kt at the surface. 

(Edited to add)000URNT12 KNHC 160055VORTEX DATA MESSAGE   AL082014A. 16/00:43:10ZB. 24 deg 22 min N  068 deg 37 min WC. 700 mb 2685 mD. 84 ktE. 244 deg 16 nmF. 332 deg 90 ktG. 248 deg 13 nmH. 955 mbI. 15 C / 3050 mJ. 18 C / 3041 mK. NA / NAL. OPEN SM. C18N. 12345 / 7O. 0.02 / 1 nmP. AF301 0808A GONZALO            OB 03MAX OUTBOUND AND MAX FL WIND 118 KT 054 / 12 NM 00:46:40ZMAX FL TEMP 39 C 251 / 10 NM FROM FL CNTRCNTR DROPSONDE SFC WIND 185 / 22 KT

Can see concentric eyes on the IR again.  Outer one is trying to close off but the pinhole is clearing out anyway.

1. There is no such things as concentric eyes. Just concentric eyewalls.

2. The Recon wind data and the Vortex messages from the crew show one eyewall at this time. The eyewall replacement cycle that we saw taking place this morning is complete.

1. There is no such things as concentric eyes. Just concentric eyewalls.

2. The Recon wind data and the Vortex messages from the crew show one eyewall at this time. The eyewall replacement cycle that we saw taking place this morning is complete.

Yes, if you could see Gonzalos' eye on recon's radar, it would likely look very similar to other completed ERCs that we get to observe on weather service radar near the coast. When an ERC completes, you'll only see a single eyewall again, but inside, remnants of the old decayed wall may continue to linger as isolated showers and light rain. On satellite, you'll see that debris as strato and altocumulus clouds, etc., gyring around until eventually they get precipitated or mixed out by drier sinking air. If unabated, larger eye should eventually show up nice and clear on satellite imagery again.

Archived