• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Gonzalo

My goodness....check that out, they are actually putting a TEMPO group in for the EYE

May I ask you to explain what this means in layman's terms for amateurs like myself? I'm trying to make sense of the subsequent numbers and code but am coming up mostly empty. Just trying to learn :)

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, guys.   :)

Let me make one thing clear:  I chase where I want to chase. I couldn't have it any other way, because there's nothing more important to me than nailing cyclone cores. Working with TWC is collaborative, and of course there's give and take-- like any relationship-- but it's all good. They're great to work with-- they respect what I do and how I do it.

HAIYAN aside... The best and most hardcore chase of my career so far-- ODILE-- was a project with TWC. I couldn't be happier with how that one went.

Re: the change in my chasing style since last year...  Yes, I'm chasing on islands now.  You know why?  Sheer desperation. I'm so damn hungry for action, I'm doing crazy stuff like flying to Japan to play Island Roulette. When the NATL decides to start making red-meat cyclones again, I won't have to do this stuff.

GONZALO is an awesome change of pace for the NATL, and yes, of course I should have chased it.  Hindsight is always 20-20. I didn't think it was going to be a good chase subject until it was too late. My bad. I almost didn't chase ODILE because I didn't like that setup, and even when I went for that one, I thought it was going to bust hard. I basically went because I felt obliged to, being from SoCal. So that was a lucky decision.

At the end of the day, the hardcore chaserdudes are addict gamblers. Sometimes we score big, and sometimes we get our azzes kicked.  It's a tough sport.

HURRICANE GONZALO INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER  20A

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL082014

800 AM AST FRI OCT 17 2014

...DANGEROUS HURRICANE GONZALO HEADING FOR BERMUDA...

...LIKELY TO BRING DAMAGING WINDS AND A LIFE-THREATENING

STORM SURGE LATER TODAY...

SUMMARY OF 800 AM AST...1200 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...29.9N 66.5W

ABOUT 195 MI...310 KM SSW OF BERMUDA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 25 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB...27.94 INCHES

Fitting

the name Gonzalo was popularized by William Shakespeare’s 1610/11 play The Tempest — inspired, in part, by accounts of the Sea Venture castaways’ exploits in Bermuda in 1609. An honest and trusted adviser to King Alonso of Naples, Gonzalo is stranded on a remote island when Prospero, the rightful Duke of Milan, conjures up a storm — the tempest of the play’s title — to wreck a ship carrying his usurping brother Antonio and the complicit king. Gonzalo is a given name and a family name, purportedly derived from the old German word “gundis” — meaning “war”. Other sources say it derives from the Visigoth name Gundisalv meaning “battle genius” or “war elf.

NW Eye wall appears to have strengthened quite a bit in the last few frames while dry air begins to penetrate the SW part of the circulation.

attachicon.gifjsl-animated.gif

It's got some SW shear (10-20 kts) pushing the dry air into the circulation.  But at this point, there's no turning back for Bermuda.  The dry air isn't going to weaken the circulation enough before it makes it there.

Trochoidal wobbles are common in hurricanes. Especially ones that have uneven convection, like Gonzalo, where the heaviest is on the northern and eastern sides. They usually even back out, wobbling one direction and back another. But in this case a wobble could put it on one side of the island or another...or even right over it.

Archived