Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Gonzalo

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This page has AWOS observations from three stations in Bermuda: http://199.172.239.3/gemamet/index.jsp

The login and password are both "guest."  The stations update every 10 minutes. It looks like the most-exposed AWOS site of the three is Commissioner's Point, which currently has ESE winds at 39 kt gusting to 50 kt. No idea as to the height above ground level/sea level of these stations, but the data looks good from that one and the St. David's station. The other station - Fort Prospect - appears to be down. 

This page has AWOS observations from three stations in Bermuda: http://199.172.239.3/gemamet/index.jsp

The login and password are both "guest." The stations update every 10 minutes. It looks like the most-exposed AWOS site of the three is Commissioner's Point, which currently has ESE winds at 39 kt gusting to 50 kt. No idea as to the height above ground level/sea level of these stations, but the data looks good from that one and the St. David's station. The other station - Fort Prospect - appears to be down.

Comm point is 150 ft

Might Fay have helped act as a trial run, so that Bermuda will be more prepared? Or will it have more of a negative impact with saturated soil, weakened infrastructure etc.?

I have traveled to Bermuda several times (was actually supposed to be on a vacation there now, but got called off for work-related reasons).  It is probably one of the safest places to be during a storm: first-world infrastructure, all concrete houses, and mostly high elevations (it's basically a giant rock in the middle of the Atlantic).  The reef that surrounds the island also blunts some of the the storm surge, although 10 feet will doubtless do some damage to coastal resorts.

I have traveled to Bermuda several times (was actually supposed to be on a vacation there now, but got called off for work-related reasons).  It is probably one of the safest places to be during a storm: first-world infrastructure, all concrete houses, and mostly high elevations (it's basically a giant rock in the middle of the Atlantic).  The reef that surrounds the island also blunts some of the the storm surge, although 10 feet will doubtless do some damage to coastal resorts.

I agree with Eduardo's post as I've been there. The homes have to be concrete and the roofs are rock solid. Evacuation from storm surge means mainly getting off the beaches/away from the immediate shore and barely going inland (driving up the hills), Still, there very likely will be a lot of damage if it stays strong and on the same track. Also, I think there is at least one main causeway between a couple of the flatter/smaller islands in eastern Bermuda near the airport that will likely be under a lot of water. People have died there in past storms.

It's getting pretty wild now. 

Gusts getting close to hurricane force, now up to 62 knots. I hope that webcam holds up.  Looks like they could end up getting a big break since  It sure looks like the center will either end up going right over the island or to the east unless there is a pretty big and sustained wobble to the west instead of that pretty much perfect forecast track for getting the strongest winds.

Gusts getting close to hurricane force, now up to 62 knots. I hope that webcam holds up. Looks like they could end up getting a big break since It sure looks like the center will either end up going right over the island or to the east unless there is a pretty big and substained wobble to the west

Like Cabo not a break though, if that back side wraps up like its starting to

any other webcam links besides the port bermuda one ? 

doesn't seem like any of the major networks feel like giving this even an ounce of live reporting. 

Just the port bermuda webcam alone would keep viewers stationed...ebola would have to take a back seat...for now. 

There's this one on UStream that I found :)

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hurricane-gonzalo---bermuda

Archived