12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October 2014 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold morning in N Wisconsin, I see Laona is 22!  clouds cleared here and it's down to 33 and I can see frost on the deck railing.

I love the Keweenaw and it was a tuff choice between here and there..... you never know!

A few issues I have with the eastern lakes snow belts.

1.  TOO many people in the region as a whole... I like solitude

2.  The snow belts there, the Tug in particular, are confined to a fairly small area, and the Erie belt freezes yearly pretty much.

3.  While the snow rates off Erie and Ontario are some of the most impressive, I don't like the frequent thaws that eat away the snowpack.

That said, that area has the most impressive event totals of the snow belts, and if I lived there, there would have likely been one more nut walking around filming in that epic cold lake blizzard last Winter! :D

Haha I hear ya. Man that was the most epic late night walk of my life. Definitely will not be forgetting that storm anytime soon. (Time to go rewatch that) :popcorn:

Cold morning in N Wisconsin, I see Laona is 22!  clouds cleared here and it's down to 33 and I can see frost on the deck railing.

I love the Keweenaw and it was a tuff choice between here and there..... you never know!

A few issues I have with the eastern lakes snow belts.

1.  TOO many people in the region as a whole... I like solitude

2.  The snow belts there, the Tug in particular, are confined to a fairly small area, and the Erie belt freezes yearly pretty much.

3.  While the snow rates off Erie and Ontario are some of the most impressive, I don't like the frequent thaws that eat away the snowpack.

That said, that area has the most impressive event totals of the snow belts, and if I lived there, there would have likely been one more nut walking around filming in that epic cold lake blizzard last Winter! :D

Tug Hill/Oswego area definitely can put down some serious totals of LES, but has Bo said, being so much further south they are more prone to thaws in which can limit impact the snow-pack.  Although I would love to experience one of those 100" events one day. My area can get some heavy rates especially with the help off superior but it never has any staying power. Really wish Lake Michigan was about 200 miles wider :)

Anyway weekend looks nice around here, probably the last weekend to be able to take in the fall colors leaves starting to drop pretty quickly around my house. Been dealing with LER the last few days, getting a little annoying especially with trying to take our walks.  Snow not to far away that's for sure. 

Haha I hear ya. Man that was the most epic late night walk of my life. Definitely will not be forgetting that storm anytime soon. (Time to go rewatch that) :popcorn:

Insane!  you def earned my respect that night as a bona fide weather freak!

Tug Hill/Oswego area definitely can put down some serious totals of LES, but has Bo said, being so much further south they are more prone to thaws in which can limit impact the snow-pack.  Although I would love to experience one of those 100" events one day. My area can get some heavy rates especially with the help off superior but it never has any staying power. Really wish Lake Michigan was about 200 miles wider :)

Anyway weekend looks nice around here, probably the last weekend to be able to take in the fall colors leaves starting to drop pretty quickly around my house. Been dealing with LER the last few days, getting a little annoying especially with trying to take our walks.  Snow not to far away that's for sure. 

I forget the exact dates, but in 2001 I think, Petoskey received 85" in 4 days!

EDIT:  found it

Buffalo’s single greatest lake-effect (for that matter any) snowstorm occurred December 24-28, 2001 when 81.5” accumulated at the official city weather service site at the airport. The same event also affected the Lake Michigan snow belt around Petoskey, Michigan where a state-record for a single snowstorm dropped 85.0” between December 23-29.

great read for lake enthusiasts

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/lakeeffect-snowstorms-recent-and-historical

Buffalo’s single greatest lake-effect (for that matter any) snowstorm occurred December 24-28, 2001 when 81.5” accumulated at the official city weather service site at the airport. The same event also affected the Lake Michigan snow belt around Petoskey, Michigan where a state-record for a single snowstorm dropped 85.0” between December 23-29.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/lakeeffect-snowstorms-recent-and-historical

Wow, I never even knew that, must of had a intense LES band from Superior to Petoskey for quite a while. I have been in those bands and they are intense but normally they shift as winds often do when the upper level winds move.  I would love to see even a 40" storm around my area which is doable under the right environment conditions. 

Enjoying reading the LES discussion in here this morning. Would love to experience a true lake effect snowstorm in one of the belts at some point in the future. It's a rare treat around here and it's quick to move out. 

A somewhat frosty morning with a low of 37°. Another degree of two cooler and I would have been scraping the windows this morning.

Enjoying reading the LES discussion in here this morning. Would love to experience a true lake effect snowstorm in one of the belts at some point in the future. It's a rare treat around here and it's quick to move out. 

A somewhat frosty morning with a low of 37°. Another degree of two cooler and I would have been scraping the windows this morning.

while rare, it does happen...

A very focused band of lake effect showers that developed since midnight has dropped more than a foot of snow over southern Milwaukee County, which could see up to 18 inches in some areas before the heavy snowfall stops this evening, according to the National Weather Service.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/40527482.html

A very focused band of lake effect showers that developed since midnight has dropped more than a foot of snow over southern Milwaukee County, which could see up to 18 inches in some areas before the heavy snowfall stops this evening, according to the National Weather Service.

Thats the same for Toronto. Normally each winter a couple small squalls will develop and brush the lakeshore with 1-3 inches of snow. The most extreme snow squall from lake Ontario I remember was the winter of 2003-2004. It extended about 10 miles inland and was about 10 miles wide. It dropped over 12 inches of snow in roughly a 6 hour period. 

Nothing has come close to that one since. The hybrids are what I cash in on. 5-6 inches of synoptic snow with an additional 2-4 inches of lake enhancement. 

Yep I remember that event. Dropped 13" at MKE. Wasn't directly in it, but I saw the aftermath a day later. It does happen, but unusual to last more than a few hours. Christmas 2010; I think it was, when a persistent streamer put down about a foot in 4-5 hours. The heaviest event I believe that I can remember. 

Today is very autumn like. Still in the mid 50s, with mostly sunny skies here in Racine.

Yep I remember that event. Dropped 13" at MKE. Wasn't directly in it, but I saw the aftermath a day later. It does happen, but unusual to last more than a few hours. Christmas 2010; I think it was, when a persistent streamer put down about a foot in 4-5 hours. The heaviest event I believe that I can remember.

Today is very autumn like. Still in the mid 50s, with mostly sunny skies here in Racine.

I think my heaviest event was also 12" in 4 hours, Jan '13 in Ellsworth.  I remember driving home from Charlevoix trying to see tail lights in front of me to stay on the road. 

I never seen lake effect, other than a few flurries that have managed to blow in here on a few very rare occasions. 

Hit 37 this morning.  32 in point for tonight, which would be the first freeze.  Coldest so far has been 33.

Yeah, you're just on the wrong side of the lake. I'm probably the same distance as you, but because of prevailing winds and often times a nice, long fetch, we see several LES events down this way. They are usually DABs to 2 inchers, but we occasionally manage to stay under a band and pick up 3-4".

I remember that Christmas week. Some friends of ours were staying at Boyne that whole week skiing and they got dumped on while down at our place at Higgins Lake we got next to nothing. That heavy snow was very localized even for lake effect. If I remember right, it was a due west wind that caused it. Anyone remember the year Good Morning America had the mayor or someone from Traverse city on there show live because all the snow they were getting? It was also around Christmas I think but not that same year.

Talk about a white Christmas.

First frost advisory of the season for Detroit city proper tonight, but frost seems far off right now with temps around town ranging from 45°F-47°F. It only made it to 42°F in my neighborhood last night.

Made it down to 33° for the second time this month. Couple more plants bit the dust, but it's going to take something a couple degrees cooler to end everything completely.

...I will say the Ragweed pollen seems to have disappeared now.

It's pretty obvious we did not have a freeze this morning(CR airport briefly hit 33).  The only plants with even minor leaf burn are the tropical cannas in the nearby open field.  It was pretty frosty out there so I thought the cannas would be toast.  In my yard there was some light frost, but even the most cold-sensitive plants that were left uncovered appear completely unharmed.  I thought a freeze was a sure thing, but I'm happy the garden will be in full bloom for a while longer.

We should get a nice soaking Monday/Tuesday as the big low throws a deformation zone up across eastern Iowa.  We could use it.

Nice pics Josh. The place looks a lot different when it's not surrounded by 15" of snow. lol I'll bet those woods grow some nice 'shrooms in late May.

Seems strange that all of you guys up north are talking about frosts/freezes. The coldest temperature down here in the tropics was 38° back on the 5th. That could change tonight as we are under a frost advisory, but still not expected to get to freezing, looking more like 35° or so.

Currently 59° here. May have touched 60°. Beautiful fall day. Caught some large bluegill and redear this morning and took a nice long walk with the better half this afternoon.

Archived