joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2014 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right on. My mom said she saw it too. No dice here...just some miserable really cold liquid here this morning.

Might as well have been snowing...at least that would've been kinda neat from a historical perspective. 

Frost advisory for us tonight.  Wouldn't be totally surprised if we end up with a freeze.

Might as well have been snowing...at least that would've been kinda neat from a historical perspective. 

Frost advisory for us tonight.  Wouldn't be totally surprised if we end up with a freeze.

Well yeah, snow is always the best option. ;)  And wouldn't surprise me either with a freeze.

I was looking back at past years to see how this cold stacks up against what we have seen recently and I'm amazed at how warm it has been on October 4th in the last 10 or so years.  I don't remember it for some reason, but the 87 degrees on this date in 2005 would feel great right now.  

Edit: The 87 degree October 4th in 2005 was also the opening game of the Red Sox/White Sox series so now I actually do remember that day.  

down to 36 and finally a changeover to snow. 

interesting couple of facts:

looks as if the snow is right on schedule...

We just had a quick burst of a rain/snow mix at the office, marking the first recorded flakes of the season! The first few days of October mark the average date of the first trace of snowfall at NWS Marquette.

2014 now marks the only year that Chicago (O'Hare) recorded the season's first snowflakes earlier than NWS Marquette since records began at NWS Marquette in 1962. It did so by a mere eight hours (8:28am EDT at O'Hare and 4:30pm EDT at NWS Marquette). US National Weather Service Chicago Illinois saw snow mix with rain across much of its forecast area this morning.

down to 36 and finally a changeover to snow. 

interesting couple of facts:

looks as if the snow is right on schedule...

We just had a quick burst of a rain/snow mix at the office, marking the first recorded flakes of the season! The first few days of October mark the average date of the first trace of snowfall at NWS Marquette.

2014 now marks the only year that Chicago (O'Hare) recorded the season's first snowflakes earlier than NWS Marquette since records began at NWS Marquette in 1962. It did so by a mere eight hours (8:28am EDT at O'Hare and 4:30pm EDT at NWS Marquette). US National Weather Service Chicago Illinois saw snow mix with rain across much of its forecast area this morning.

That fact above in bold is kinda funny! 8 hours before...

170 days since the last trace of snow on April 16th.

High of only 45° here today. Can see the brightening of clouds to the west - going to be a cold one tonight!

Not even close to a frost here, as clouds remained stubborn throughout the night.

Yesterday's high of 46˚ at LAF was 24˚ below the normal high for the date. That's the 18th time this year that LAF has put up a -20˚ or lower departure with a max temp. On the flip side of things, there have been no 20˚+ departures this year.

Not even close to a frost here, as clouds remained stubborn throughout the night.

Yesterday's high of 46˚ at LAF was 24˚ below the normal high for the date. That's the 18th time this year that LAF has put up a -20˚ or lower departure with a max temp. On the flip side of things, there have been no 20˚+ departures this year.

would crazy stat!!!

I dont know why that stat fascinates me so much, but I even texted my mom lol (shes always been sort of interested in weather, but with me later in life shes gotten into weather stats a bit lol). That really puts 2014 into perspective here in the Lakes/Midwest.

I looked it up for Detroit...there have been 14 days in 2014 with high temps 20 degrees or more below normal (most extreme departure was -33F) and we did eek out 2 days 20 degrees above normal (most extreme was +20, obviously set twice lol). The winter is what really smashed the record books, but the rest of the year has maintained enough of a below normal temp pattern that 2014 is still on pace to be in the top 20 coldest years on record for Detroit, something not seen since 1979.

I was flipping through the hourlies in order and when it was still cloudy at 6 AM, I knew there was a problem. 

Archived