12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October 2014 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

made it to 50 today but has since cooled to 46.  took some sunset shots since it's rare to see one this time of year it seems. sunny and 57 tomorrow before the rain sets in.

attachicon.gifDSCF3693.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF3702.JPG

Nice.  I'm hoping that color makes it down here in about a week when I start vacation.  Still sort of hit and miss at this point around these parts.

Nice pics Josh. The place looks a lot different when it's not surrounded by 15" of snow. lol I'll bet those woods grow some nice 'shrooms in late May.

Seems strange that all of you guys up north are talking about frosts/freezes. The coldest temperature down here in the tropics was 38° back on the 5th. That could change tonight as we are under a frost advisory, but still not expected to get to freezing, looking more like 35° or so.

Currently 59° here. May have touched 60°. Beautiful fall day. Caught some large bluegill and redear this morning and took a nice long walk with the better half this afternoon.

Thanks, yea I have a pic of last winter with peak snow depth around 35" in my backyard.  As for the mushrooms, they are everywhere not just spring but all the way though summer!

Beautiful Fall Day, took full advantage got the yard cleaned up, sled washed and greased, as well as the snow blower. Ready for winter. Here are a few pics took a while ago on our walk. Took these on my new Iphone 6 +. Pretty happy with the quality.

10632602_10202721733064004_411647426569310557285_10202721733304010_943372309899710348291_10202721733944026_868131263347910570353_10202721732904000_4684080300132

Nice house in a nice location.... Lucky man.

Probably costs less than my lame sub house too.

Great pics Josh! Like that star that you have on your house.

Looks like quite a few leaves down where you are Bo. Rain is probably going to knock quite a few down on Monday.

---

Month to date on temperature departures so far.

MonthTDeptMRCC.png

Cold morning in N Wisconsin, I see Laona is 22!  clouds cleared here and it's down to 33 and I can see frost on the deck railing.

I love the Keweenaw and it was a tuff choice between here and there..... you never know!

A few issues I have with the eastern lakes snow belts.

1.  TOO many people in the region as a whole... I like solitude

2.  The snow belts there, the Tug in particular, are confined to a fairly small area, and the Erie belt freezes yearly pretty much.

3.  While the snow rates off Erie and Ontario are some of the most impressive, I don't like the frequent thaws that eat away the snowpack.

That said, that area has the most impressive event totals of the snow belts, and if I lived there, there would have likely been one more nut walking around filming in that epic cold lake blizzard last Winter! :D

1.) I agree there is definitely more people in WNY, but the Tug is a pretty remote location

2.) Yeah Lake Erie Freezes in early February normally, but Lake Ontario is the deepest lake out of all the lakes and never freezes. It remains completely open nearly all year and although its not nearly as wide as Superior, the length of it makes it much more efficient at producing high snowfall rates. 4-6 inches per hour is commonplace on the Tug.

3.) Frequent thaws are only common in WNY around my area. The Tug is a completely different monster. They have snow their from Early/Mid November-May. They also have some of the coldest temperatures in the entire Northeast United States. Hooker NY on the Tug received 466.9 inches of snow in 1976-77 season.

You also occasionally get storms like this....Redfield received 141 inches in a 10 day period. A similar event happened in 2001 where as already pointed out Buffalo received over 82 inches of snow in 5 days ( I lived right smack dab in the middle of that 82 inches during that time, EPIC event) But the Tug that year received on average 110-140 inches in a 5/6 day period. CRAZYYY

baldeagle1.gif

EventSnowfall_2007_02_03.gif

You have made a great case. :D The eastern lakes can produce some of the highest total events. I have looked into the tug belt a little more and found this video, it's simply amazing!

I still could not live anywhere but MI, and the UP is perfect for me. Also they ruined the tug with all those wind turbines.

...And, while the tug is fairly low populated, it doesn't compare to here. Less than 5 people per sq mile where I am at! You gotta like solitude to live up here.

57°/34° for today. Have had a couple moderate rain showers tonight already.

Looks like a really cloudy and wet week ahead.

---

The Tug is definitely a unique place with regards to the heavy LES parameters. The area east of Superior has to do pretty well on LES also. Decent elevations in that area.

Nice pics Josh.

Warm front crept through here in the last hour.  Temp and dew have jumped up to 65/63.  Sky has brightened up with more convective looking clouds now visible.  Some isolated heavy showers have popped around, and there's an outside chance one of those could put down a brief/weak tor if it can become intense enough.

Archived