12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October 2014 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday Partly sunny, with a high near 62.

• Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 51.
  • Saturday Sunny, with a high near 67.
  • Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 49.
  • Sunday Sunny, with a high near 69.
  • Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 54.
  • Monday A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 69.

I'm jelly.

71 in the P&C for Monday....toasty....

I have a pear and a cherry tree in the backyard already...love the colors I get from them in the spring and fall.  However, I'm p sure the village wouldn't let me put a fruit tree in the parkway up against the street.  We have a row of sumacs out at the farm and they beam brilliant red every fall...they are actually my fav fall tree out at the farm.  I'm thinking of going with some sort of big leafed maple...I will have to keep diggin' around.  Thanks for the ideas though!

Speaking of my pear tree....I noticed something this year.  The only fruit that came from it this year was on the very tippy top.  I think that happened because of that freeze we had at some point in May.  I think temps got down to bud killing temps relatively close to sunrise...and with our home facing east (and the pear tree in the backyard and blocked from the sunrise via our home except for the top), the early sun was able to warm up those buds that were peaking over our roof line and keep them from dying off.  That's my theory at least....but found it interesting.

thanks for taking the time to post the fall pics guys...much appreciated

71 in the P&C for Monday....toasty....

I have a pear and a cherry tree in the backyard already...love the colors I get from them in the spring and fall.  However, I'm p sure the village wouldn't let me put a fruit tree in the parkway up against the street.  We have a row of sumacs out at the farm and they beam brilliant red every fall...they are actually my fav fall tree out at the farm.  I'm thinking of going with some sort of big leafed maple...I will have to keep diggin' around.  Thanks for the ideas though!

Speaking of my pear tree....I noticed something this year.  The only fruit that came from it this year was on the very tippy top.  I think that happened because of that freeze we had at some point in May.  I think temps got down to bud killing temps relatively close to sunrise...and with our home facing east (and the pear tree in the backyard and blocked from the sunrise via our home except for the top), the early sun was able to warm up those buds that were peaking over our roof line and keep them from dying off.  That's my theory at least....but found it interesting.

thanks for taking the time to post the fall pics guys...much appreciated

A Red Sunset Maple may be a good choice for you.  They turn a brilliant red, and sometimes some orange as well in the Fall.  In the Spring the buds open up to sort of a red flower before the seeds set on.  Only bad thing about the tree is they put out a lot of seeds, but they're smaller than the bigger "whirlybirds" from the soft Maples.  They grow pretty quickly, which is something I'd assume you'd want since it's a replacement tree.  I'd stay away from the super fast growing soft Maples, like the Silver Maple.  They put out a crap load of seeds and are easily damaged by marginally severe wind gusts.  Other hard Maples, like the Norway, Crimson King, Sugar, etc are very nice, but they grow VERY slowly.  Especially the Norway.

My parents have a Red Sunset Maple in their front yard. It does put out some beautiful colors in the Fall. Seeds are a bit of a PITA in the Spring as cyclone said, but they get overwhelmed by the big ass old other Maple in their yard that puts out the whirly birds. Those things I tell ya...

LAF 41˚ at midnight. Seem to be overachieving, though my whack thermometer is at 43˚ right now...so maybe not. 

Frosty here this morning. 33˚ the intra-hour low at LAF, but the temperature move from 5:54am to 6:54am to 7:54am looks a little strange...

attachicon.gifoct 22 laf.png

Indeed.  The only thing I can figure is that the wind switched from N to NE and thus was blowing in from the built up areas of WLAF and LAF, but is that enough to cause a 3 degree rise?  The dewpoint also jumped though.  Strange.

Good frost this morning...flowers still holding on though. 

-------------------------------------

probably normal for late Oct

Looks fairly normal. GFS even had some snow shower activity on the back side of a low on Halloween Day for both of us!

Heavy frost this morning at home. Really had to scrape the car windows. 30 or 31° for a low.

I haven't had any allergy issues since the first frost back on October 3rd or 4th.

You live in the radiational cooling capital of the region and a good distance away from the UHI of Chicago, so not surprised about that.

You live in the radiational cooling capital of the region and a good distance away from the UHI of Chicago, so not surprised about that.

Kind of quirky given the proximity to Lake Michigan.

I will say I did notice frost well into the city of Racine this morning. Might have been 33° for a low at 2m, but on the ground and some surfaces it probably dropped to what I had for a low this morning.

Having been to Devil's Lake State Park in WI in August it was real nice to see the photos of the autumn color at that location.  I plan to go to Branson and the Ozarks the week of Oct. 26 and hope to see some Ozark color, though I know they have a lot of varieties of oaks. Had first frost on the grass at my place ne of Indpls. this morning.  "When the Frost is On the Punkin"

34 this morning.  Lots of harvesting going on right now outside of town.  Hard to drive anywhere and not have to pass a combine, or some other farm equipment on the highway. 

Went down to Johnson-Sauk Trail State Park down by Kewanee yesterday and shot these pics. 

316594j.jpg

ann3fa.jpg

4gkrjn.jpg

118j2w1.jpg

29yqses.jpg

2hcqmn4.jpg

291gemd.jpg

5z4mqa.jpg

34yqwkw.jpg

you have a great eye!  Some of the best pics all season... gorgeous!

Archived