• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October 2014 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

Have to think it's up there. Agreed, for a relatively "minor" event...it was pretty damn cool to experience.

Did you have thundersnow where you were?  It's funny how many details I remember about it.  I came out of the theater and it was drizzling and then as I got closer to home it changed to snow and just started ripping.  Probably some of the heaviest/sloppiest stuff I've ever seen.  It was enough to knock down some branches despite there only being a couple inches.  I stayed up and watched it for a while but then finally went to sleep, only to be woken by a loud snapping/crashing sound from a tree in the front yard.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you have thundersnow where you were?  It's funny how many details I remember about it.  I came out of the theater and it was drizzling and then as I got closer to home it changed to snow and just started ripping.  Probably some of the heaviest/sloppiest stuff I've ever seen.  It was enough to knock down some branches despite there only being a couple inches.  I stayed up and watched it for a while but then finally went to sleep, only to be woken by a loud snapping/crashing sound from a tree in the front yard.

Not that I recall. It was certainly heavy wet stuff though. I was at a bar that night, take that FWIW :D , but I remember seeing it snowing like crazy out the windows. Everything was covered when we made our way outside later, but it was definitely water logged stuff.

EURO showing some heat building by D10. Not nearly as "blocky" downstream as the GEM or GFS.

Oh boy, day 10 op model rip and read. ;)

EPS meh to a super torch.

EURO showing some heat building by D10. Not nearly as "blocky" downstream as the GEM or GFS.

Yeah the Euro has been very consistent for the last few days with showing warmth beyond the strong trough about 6-8 days out. GFS is blocky like you mention but a bit flat across the US, GFS tends to be too progressive in these situations.

I agree - days like last Saturday can wait till the very end of the month, imo. Low 60s that are in the forecast are great this time of year. Kind of doubting will have very many 70s left this year. ~ especially with the lake in the 50s now.

I am headed your way this weekend. Mainly in the MQT area. Was hoping for a little wave action. Not sure I will get much though. :)

gfs_mslp_wind_ncus_13.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/

As of now, looking like a pretty nice weekend and I hope it turns out that way.  Been pretty raw and damp up here.

Periods of rain and snow lasted until about 2 today.  Winds have been strong, gusting to around 30 all afternoon.

went into Marquette today, and snapped some pics on the way.  Cool and mid 40's at my house but temp did climb to 50 along the shore between Big Bay and Marquette.  Some real wilderness up here!  Trees near bare at my house and elevation, but closer to Superior there's still good color.

near Big Bay

here, if you look over Superior in the distance 40 miles or so you can see the hills of the Keweenaw (zoomed way in).

went into Marquette today, and snapped some pics on the way.  Cool and mid 40's at my house but temp did climb to 50 along the shore between Big Bay and Marquette.  Some real wilderness up here!  Trees near bare at my house and elevation, but closer to Superior there's still good color.

Man, I need to get up there sometime. Beautiful country.

It's been a very nice fall down here so far. Color change is progressing gradually. My lawn has a good amount of leaves down, but much it fell last week, not this week. 

Friday night may be our first frost of the season.  DVN is currently thinking about 32.

I've had frost on the picnic table a few mornings now....haven't noticed any damage to any of my plants yet, zinnias, marigolds, nicotiana, etc still continue to flower.  Bees are still around (bumblers)...i didn't see any monarchs today, but earlier this week i saw several out in the yard.

Thanks guys!  I know it's hard to find true wilderness east of the Rockies, but this place has it.  I'm in love already.  The sun would have made the pix explode but in true fashion, lake clouds hung on.

Man, I need to get up there sometime. Beautiful country.

It's been a very nice fall down here so far. Color change is progressing gradually. My lawn has a good amount of leaves down, but much it fell last week, not this week. 

you're too close to not visit here

Killing me here at work today Bo. Backpacked Isle Royale this summer and did quite a bit of UP sightseeing. Place is incredible and I'm missing it already.

never been there but def on my list.  i'd like to go late fall to avoid people,  what was Summer like there?

Nice Pics Bo, some day I'll have a place in the Keweenaw.

I considered the Keweenaw, Josh, but I chose here because of the close proximity to Marquette.  I like the young college town atmosphere if I want it.  Also where I'm at in the Hurons, it rivals the Keweenaw in snow.  This area also trumps the Keweenaw in elevation, which was one of my deciding factors for moving here.  Hope you can convince the wife at some point :P

never been there but def on my list.  i'd like to go late fall to avoid people,  what was Summer like there?

I considered the Keweenaw, Josh, but I chose here because of the close proximity to Marquette.  I like the young college town atmosphere if I want it.  Also where I'm at in the Hurons, it rivals the Keweenaw in snow.  This area also trumps the Keweenaw in elevation, which was one of my deciding factors for moving here.  Hope you can convince the wife at some point :P

attachicon.gifkmqt_topo.png

Good Point about the elevation (huge impact on LES) and proximity to Marquette. That is why I like Gaylord for Norther Lower (High Elevation) and its big enough city that has all the needed stores, restaurants, etc. Maybe I may have to move near you and become neighbors some day. 

Thanks guys!  I know it's hard to find true wilderness east of the Rockies, but this place has it.  I'm in love already.  The sun would have made the pix explode but in true fashion, lake clouds hung on.

attachicon.gifkmqt_topo.png

You should have moved to the Tug. More snow, more mountains, and closer to me. ^_^

Great pictures Bo! I've been in that area a few times in the summer. Beautiful country.

You're definitely in the snowiest area for the entire Midwest.

Probably going to see a light frost tonight. Already 40° here. Correction 37°.

Talk about the urban heat island effect. Howell is at 38°F to the northwest, Monroe is at 39°F to the south, but at Detroit City Airport it's 49°F. I guess it may have more to do with the light winds considering the usual cold spot, Ann Arbor, is still 46°F.

Frost advisory for north of 8 mile, but the coldest temperatures seem west of the CWA.

Cold morning in N Wisconsin, I see Laona is 22!  clouds cleared here and it's down to 33 and I can see frost on the deck railing.

Good Point about the elevation (huge impact on LES) and proximity to Marquette. That is why I like Gaylord for Norther Lower (High Elevation) and its big enough city that has all the needed stores, restaurants, etc. Maybe I may have to move near you and become neighbors some day

I love the Keweenaw and it was a tuff choice between here and there..... you never know!

You should have moved to the Tug. More snow, more mountains, and closer to me. ^_^

A few issues I have with the eastern lakes snow belts.

1.  TOO many people in the region as a whole... I like solitude

2.  The snow belts there, the Tug in particular, are confined to a fairly small area, and the Erie belt freezes yearly pretty much.

3.  While the snow rates off Erie and Ontario are some of the most impressive, I don't like the frequent thaws that eat away the snowpack.

That said, that area has the most impressive event totals of the snow belts, and if I lived there, there would have likely been one more nut walking around filming in that epic cold lake blizzard last Winter! :D

Archived