• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

It's pretty much coincidence. A stronger sample size for ORH yields close to a 50/50 per Will. I cannot find any meteorological reason why a fluke or very rare event that is sometimes caused by cutoffs (cutoffs can happen in the Fall) somehow dictates a meh winter. It's purely coincidence.

The only thing I can think of is that it's hard to sustain a good cold/wet pattern with a trough in the east and a storm track that would produce snow...so the fear is sort of like a 4-6 week good winter pattern in the fall, before flipping the switch to a less favorable pattern for snow and cold storms as you enter December. I think the fear is a favorable pattern in OCT/NOV that switches up for DEC/JAN.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I can think of is that it's hard to sustain a good cold/wet pattern with a trough in the east and a storm track that would produce snow...so the fear is sort of like a 4-6 week good winter pattern in the fall, before flipping the switch to a less favorable pattern for snow and cold storms as you enter December. I think the fear is a favorable pattern in OCT/NOV that switches up for DEC/JAN.

But that is why I mentioned cutoffs. Cutoffs by nature just cutoff from the main flow and can give you a fluke event. They really don't represent a pattern....plus, wavelengths start to broaden after October which adds more credibility to this being a coincidence. I do see what you mean...but too much transitioning is going on in October, for me to think that just because we have a trough in the east means the pattern might go to crap during the cold season.

2011 blew for everyone but BOS didn't get snow in that one. 1979 BDL had a couple inches in Oct and that winter blew overall. There's probably some correlation , but it's not strong enough to be finite. In other words a decent winter is still at least possible

One of BOS's measurable snows was October 2011. They didn't get what the interior got, but they accumulated at the end.

That October snow myth is just that...myth.

I've had 1"+ OCT snowfall 3 times in 16 years, 2000, 2005, and 2011 - followed once by a great winter, twice by awful ones.  (Signifying: nothing)

Glad I don't use the August predicter - for my area it's verified somewhat more poorly than one could expect from flipping a coin.  (But not poorly enough to use as an inverse indicator.)

2011 blew for everyone but BOS didn't get snow in that one. 1979 BDL had a couple inches in Oct and that winter blew overall. There's probably some correlation , but it's not strong enough to be finite. In other words a decent winter is still at least possible

BOS got an inch in 2011

But that is why I mentioned cutoffs. Cutoffs by nature just cutoff from the main flow and can give you a fluke event. They really don't represent a pattern....plus, wavelengths start to broaden after October which adds more credibility to this being a coincidence. I do see what you mean...but too much transitioning is going on in October, for me to think that just because we have a trough in the east means the pattern might go to crap during the cold season.

Yeah I tend to agree with you on all points, but I think that's where a lot of the early snow fear comes from...the weenie phrase "it sucks that we are wasting this pattern 4-6 weeks too early" type deal. It's like when you get 3-4 beautiful fall nor'easters to track SE of ACK, and folks start to worry that mother nature is using up her quota of great storm tracks. Then on the flip side, there are those thinking that it's going to be the seasonal track and get excited for a record year.

Basically it seems there isn't much correlation to October storms and winter in general...though isn't there some temp correlation between Oct and winter? Or is it the Oct/Nov couplet?

Is that a sign of dews? I saw a ton of those in NH last week and it was as dry as Barry's Gin up there

I had those this morning...hundreds of them on all the bushes. I think it's just the early morning dew that really makes them visible. Around 8am this morning every single one was visible and now I can't see any at all.

I had those this morning...hundreds of them on all the bushes. I think it's just the early morning dew that really makes them visible. Around 8am this morning every single one was visible and now I can't see any at all.

It seems once August gets here every night has heavy heavy dew. It's the one month of the year you can count on it neArly every single morn. Must have something to do with longer nights and moisture content. Cars always soaked in morning as is the grass

Hey everybody, checking in from acadia. Beautiful weather last two days, even got a bit chilly in the tent last night.

Down in bar harbor right now. Awesome little town, some good seafood eats as well.

Sand beach and thunder hole were awesome. Water could not have been more than 50 degrees, super refreshing

Hey everybody, checking in from acadia. Beautiful weather last two days, even got a bit chilly in the tent last night.

Down in bar harbor right now. Awesome little town, some good seafood eats as well.

Sand beach and thunder hole were awesome. Water could not have been more than 50 degrees, super refreshing

If youre looking to do some hiking that isnt as crowded...Beech Mountain by Echo lake was pretty nice, great views. We also found a rocky beach that was legitimately empty about halfway between bar harbor and the mainland...Hadley Point rd. we had fires on the beach and watched the sunset every night with maybe 6 other people.

If youre looking to do some hiking that isnt as crowded...Beech Mountain by Echo lake was pretty nice, great views. We also found a rocky beach that was legitimately empty about halfway between bar harbor and the mainland...Hadley Point rd. we had fires on the beach and watched the sunset every night with maybe 6 other people.

Wow awesome, thanks. I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

So much to do, so little time

Archived