• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

It is indeed a somewhat depressing statement. I feel like we haven't gotten a long enough summer yet, and we're already talking rapidly shortening days. Good news is we should have an extended back-end of summer due to a warmer than normal September. Very strong support for it. If we're not going to have many 90s, at least extend the 80s until the end of Sept.

So much for the early autumn talk we've been hearing about. Now this would suck

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warm autumns blow..Nothing says fall,leaf changing, and football in September like 80's and sun thru the month

Ehh, October is more the month that matters in the seasonal feel department...September doesn't snow, and can still be warm. Really warm Octobers annoy me more than September...September comes right after August so it's not like all the sudden it's highs in the 50s and lows in the 20s. You'll still get a good deal of 70s/80s.

Warm autumns blow..Nothing says fall,leaf changing, and football in September like 80's and sun thru the month

Technically I guess a cool fall wouldn't be good either because that could lead to October snow and I think some have the belief that October snow leads to a lousy winter so I guess we have to hope for something in-between.

Looks like a great couple of days coming up after tonight....after that, we'll see.

Luckily we don't live in such a place, because that sounds awful! Unless you're predicting BDL puts up a +8 or +10 next month? Average high for September is not even 75 degrees.

Technically I guess a cool fall wouldn't be good either because that could lead to October snow and I think some have the belief that October snow leads to a lousy winter so I guess we have to hope for something in-between.

Looks like a great couple of days coming up after tonight....after that, we'll see.

That October snow myth is just that...myth.

Is he drunk?

@HenryMargusity: Rule of thumb...August patterns tend to foretell the the winter pattern. What you see is what you get in winter.

August 2011 was the second wettest month here on record and the winter of 2011-2012 was pretty terrible down this way. 13.75" IMBY season total with 7.0" of that falling during the October storm.

Not to mention the jet placement and strength...lol. You go Henry...you go.

I'm a believer that everything evens out in the end. In other words, one extreme is likely to be followed up by another extreme in the other direction. Of course it's not an exact science and probably more just coincidence.

I think October snows definitely hurt looking back, but i find hard to think its anything other than coincidence.

It's pretty much coincidence. A stronger sample size for ORH yields close to a 50/50 per Will. I cannot find any meteorological reason why a fluke or very rare event that is sometimes caused by cutoffs (cutoffs can happen in the Fall) somehow dictates a meh winter. It's purely coincidence.

It's pretty much coincidence. A stronger sample size for ORH yields close to a 50/50 per Will. I cannot find any meteorological reason why a fluke or very rare event that is sometimes caused by cutoffs (cutoffs can happen in the Fall) somehow dictates a meh winter. It's purely coincidence.

BOS only has 5 measurable October snows going back to 1890. ORH has 16 and the mean snowfall those winters was almost identical to the longterm climo mean.

I would be skeptical of any conclusions drawn by the BOS sample.

Archived