12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful awful thought. Remember that one Oct like 6-7 yrs ago when it was in the 80's most of the month? Leaves were green into Nov . That was a nightmare

No such thing occurred.

That month in 2007 had plenty of 80 degree readings at BDL. That was what we were saying,Not everyday

There were 5 in October 2007, or 4 more than normal despite turning in a +7.6 for the month. I don't know how 16% of days qualifies as plenty or most days.

5 out of 31 days in a cool weather month is a ton lol. Nearly 1/4 of the days reached 80 plus when normals are in the 50's to low 60's. That is downright eye popping

:lol:  Blizz loves these semantics arguments.

Snowman was right, no such thing ever occurred in reference to the "remember when it was in the 80s most of the month."

5 out of 31 days in a cool weather month is a ton lol. Nearly 1/4 of the days reached 80 plus when normals are in the 50's to low 60's. That is downright eye popping

16% is not nearly 1/4. It's a shade under 1/6 (in other words closer to 1/7 than 1/4), so there's no reason to round up other than to exaggerate which I know you would never do. The October average high is 63.1. Most of the month is in the mid to upper-60s, and only the last handful of days of the month have a normal high in the upper-50s. Your characterization of October normals "in the 50s to low 60s" is wrong unless you are just ignoring the first 17 days of the month.

16% is not nearly 1/4. It's a shade under 1/6 (in other words closer to 1/7 than 1/4), so there's no reason to round up other than to exaggerate which I know you would never do. The October average high is 63.1. Most of the month is in the mid to upper-60s, and only the last handful of days of the month have a normal high in the upper-50s. Your characterization of October normals "in the 50s to low 60s" is wrong unless you are just ignoring the first 17 days of the month.

Well 25% is 1/4, so were talking a small 9% from being 1/4. 80s all thru Oct is rare and something that nobody wants to see again. It was so hot that we saw +7. Wow

Congrats Hawaii

• Showers likely, then frequent showers and thunderstorms after noon. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 61. Very windy, with an east wind 11 to 21 mph becoming northeast 26 to 36 mph. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
  • Thursday NightFrequent showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 47. Strong and damaging winds, with a north wind 50 to 60 mph becoming southeast 26 to 36 mph. Winds could gust as high as 90 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 2 and 3 inches possible.

No October has ever been "in the 80's most of the month." October 1963 had the most 80+ days at BDL with 8. Furthermore there have only been 3 Septembers (with 16 days) where you could say it was in the 80s most of the month.

Oct 1963 was notable for having 80s into the month's final week as well as earlier, so the perception of "80s all month" isn't too far fetched despite 3/4 of the days having less warm maximums.  That month was also incredibly dry (0.14" in NYC), and in NNJ a forest fire burned all month, with fire following the roots underground and occasionally blazing up behind the firefighters.

Can the big island handle this much rain in such a short period? 06z HWRF is spitting out 12"+ for 3/4 of the island. Would think it will be orographically enhanced as well.

It's going to be like a 6-8hr complete deluge in the mtns. Got to think FF is probably biggest concern.

Oct 1963 was notable for having 80s into the month's final week as well as earlier, so the perception of "80s all month" isn't too far fetched despite 3/4 of the days having less warm maximums. That month was also incredibly dry (0.14" in NYC), and in NNJ a forest fire burned all month, with fire following the roots underground and occasionally blazing up behind the firefighters.

Like I said, 5 days in Oct. '07. That's not "most of the month" by any definition. We get several mornings in the 20s in April, so is it OK for me to claim that most of the month was in the 20s because we had several sub-30 mornings scattered between mornings of 30s and 40s throughout a transition month? It's one thing to be ignorant of the facts or to be too lazy to do a minute of research to educate oneself, but to continue down the twisting semantic path rather than admit the error diminishes the scientific value of these discussion threads in my opinion - summer or not. Meteorology is still a science, so if one is going to throw out numbers, they should be prepared to defend their assertions.

I was interning for a Natural Resources Professor during the startup days of GIS who was on Kauai during Iniki and took incredible pics, what a beautiful island though.

I was there for 10 days in the summer of 1990. Idyllic. The place we stayed in was destroyed by Iniki 2 years later.

Archived