• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Welcome to bowling season! (3/29-4/1 disco)

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All we said was that it will be haves vs have nots and that's defined by mesoscale processes that are tough to nail. I mean there was a 10 mile wide area near HFD with 2-3"+. That cannot be nailed down...but you know something like that is possible.

The RPM did. Yeah haves and have nots.

I thought this morning when that band over NW CT wasn't producing anything this morning we were toast... clearly that didn't happen lol. 

The RPM did. Yeah haves and have nots.

I thought this morning when that band over NW CT wasn't producing anything this morning we were toast... clearly that didn't happen lol. 

It may be something where that band of heavier echoes traversed an area where we just didn't have obs until it got closer to HFD? Also, it may only take a little extra lift to help beat down that warm layer and get it to flip over to snow.  I hope people know how complicated it was. I mean who expects OES yet -RA in ORH at the same time? LOL. I thought yesterday the band may be more NW, but I will give the euro credit with a further east band when it came out in the aftn. 

It may be something where that band of heavier echoes traversed an area where we just didn't have obs until it got closer to HFD? Also, it may only take a little extra lift to help beat down that warm layer and get it to flip over to snow.  I hope people know how complicated it was. I mean who expects OES yet -RA in ORH at the same time? LOL. I thought yesterday the band may be more NW, but I will give the euro credit with a further east band when it came out in the aftn. 

We had a crew up there and some spotters who had no snow at all in Litchfield County this morning lol

Weird. Almost seems like you needed just a bit more omega and everyone flipped at the same time. 

Amen.  That's part of my argument--granted it's rush out in congested parts of the state, but folks just don't slow down as conditions warrant even after a winter that was full of snow events.

Wasn't just about speed; hell, there was no speed. Here in Middletown CT the temperatures hovered right around 32F, causing significant mixed, slippery conditions. Just about any side road with even the lightest of inclines was a ski slope; many of the side roads in my area were blocked by police because cars were stuck on them, unable to move. Add to that an apparent complete lack of preparedness for clearing roads and/or distributing dirt/salt, and potentially a large number of people that have already removed their snow tires (I almost did yesterday, but thanks to this place did not). Our whole area in the middle of the state was gridlocked.

Took me an hour to get to I-91 and only I live two miles away. When I got there the place was a parking lot. I went back home to remote in for the morning.

Spigots have turned off; no more precip and we've got over 1/2 mile viz now. I'm estimated 4" heavy wet stuff out there. Time for another coffee...

Haves and have nots. I see no problem with any mets forecasts on here. Everyone recognized there could be some snow, and some minor accums in some places. Its so fickle and localized. I'm sure more often than not it doesn't work out like this either. It happens, there are surprises.

I am interested in the problems that ct has when it snows though lol. Even in surprise busts around here, the conditions don't even come close to what is going on out there.

Wasn't just about speed; hell, there was no speed. Here in Middletown CT the temperatures hovered right around 32F, causing significant mixed, slippery conditions. Just about any side road with even the lightest of inclines was a ski slope; many of the side roads in my area were blocked by police because cars were stuck on them, unable to move. Add to that an apparent complete lack of preparedness for clearing roads and/or distributing dirt/salt, and potentially a large number of people that have already removed their snow tires (I almost did yesterday, but thanks to this place did not). Our whole area in the middle of the state was gridlocked.

Took me an hour to get to I-91 and only I live two miles away. When I got there the place was a parking lot. I went back home to remote in for the morning.

Spigots have turned off; no more precip and we've got over 1/2 mile viz now. I'm estimated 4" heavy wet stuff out there. Time for another coffee...

4 inches wow.  We're melting fast here, down to just grassy/colder areas with a coating now...skies brightening

We had a crew up there and some spotters who had no snow at all in Litchfield County this morning lol

Weird. Almost seems like you needed just a bit more omega and everyone flipped at the same time. 

Shoot...I forget which run had it, but the 6z or 12z GFS did pulse up lift a bit over CT at 12z today. I think that was it. Just a tighening up of frontogenesis or something with the unstable layer aloft shown on the OKX 12z sounding. Boom.

Haves and have nots. I see no problem with any mets forecasts on here. Everyone recognized there could be some snow, and some minor accums in some places. Its so fickle and localized. I'm sure more often than not it doesn't work out like this either. It happens, there are surprises.

I am interested in the problems that ct has when it snows though lol. Even in surprise busts around here, the conditions don't even come close to what is going on out there.

There's alot more people here that your area.  Granted I agree in part with what you're saying and folks could do a better job driving, but the I95/91 corridors are some of the most congested areas of New England.  The same events in Boston or New York City in the past have had the same results.

Also, the I-91 corridor got it the worst and of course..a lot of people live there. I'm pretty sure nobody would care if Norfolk got it or the Moosup to Mystic corridor got nailed. Sorry Steve.

well me no but Mystic in the 95 corridor yes, unfortunate as it is though these are defining moments in the GPs mind when they think about WXmen, If I was forecasting definitely would have discussed potential but I don't an so will not criticize. Will say this though, seen some Mets throw NWS and others under the bus , bus ran over them at 70 mph today.

lt rain here

There's alot more people here that your area. Granted I agree in part with what you're saying and folks could do a better job driving, but the I95/91 corridors are some of the most congested areas of New England. The same events in Boston or New York City in the past have had the same results.

I agree, maybe its a small sample size. There just happens to be a good number of posters who are right near or travel that area in conneticut.

For the most part, people take it easy here in this weather. Of course you have a couple of people in there F150 or SUV that go 75 in the high speed lane, and a mile down the road you see them spun out in the median

well me no but Mystic in the 95 corridor yes, unfortunate as it is though these are defining moments in the GPs mind when they think about WXmen, If I was forecasting definitely would have discussed potential but I don't an so will not criticize. Will say this though, seen some Mets throw NWS and others under the bus , bus ran over them at 70 mph today.

lt rain here

NWS had nothing really.

I agree, maybe its a small sample size. There just happens to be a good number of posters who are right near or travel that area in conneticut.

For the most part, people take it easy here in this weather. Of course you have a couple of people in there F150 or SUV that go 75 in the high speed lane, and a mile down the road you see them spun out in the median

If that happened over 128/93 this morning it would have been worse than HFD.

awesome reports, thanks

My drive to North Haven was fun. Got off 95 in Branford and cut up to Rt80. Roads were obviously terrible. Visibility was 1/8 mile or less for a time. Overall, no major problems though...other than going 10-15 mph most of the time. Looked like 3-4" on the ground in East Haven. Did see a tractor trailer spinning out on a hill. The police had the other side blocked off to eastbound traffic making everyone turn around. Then saw someone who had slid off the road when I hopped back on I91. But overall I was impressed...people were taking it slow and being safe. Any comparison to Atlantas definitely unfair.

Just some light IP now here.

3.25" final.  Expect that the higher elevations of Meriden have 4+ as they stayed in heavy snow for about an 45 minutes longer this morning as the band wobbled just west of us.

This pushes our seaonal total to 62.5 inches.  I had just about given up hope of breaking 60", though who knows what April will bring.

This definitely bumps the winter grade to a solid B+ here.

like I said yesterday all sources could have easily covered this by mentioning the chance of a heavy band

Was referring more to here than TV or radio sources.  I barely get the chance to catch what TV or radio says (outside of Ryan b/c he posts here) but from reading the threads and posts here you def knew this possibility...I don't think anyone on here was too caught off guard...general public I could see given if no media outlets made mention.  

Archived