• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Welcome to bowling season! (3/29-4/1 disco)

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Connecticut is our Atlanta when it snows.

The only DOT location prepped for this was likely in the NW part of the state.  They may have had a few other trucks scattered around, but not the full crew that they needed.  It takes time to hang plows and get guys to loaders and by the time that happened the roads were cooked.  Rates would have messed up traffic anyway, but lesson learned...

amazing how an inch or two of slushy snow can bring a northern region to a standstill...people just don't learn.

I am not sure I would say that...it just came down too hard and fast.  I will give you though not many people were "prepared" here at work NO ONE had any clue we could get any snow...

GFS and Euro had it. NAM sucked. But as we discussed..haves vs have nots. You can't broad brush 2-4" when mesoscale processes dictate snow. All you can say is where this is favored as we discussed yesterday.

I'm sure when I roll into work everyone will be like "ahhh weather guys suck, they can't get anything right".....I'll be like "Mesoscale vs synoptic scale, apples to oranges, what are you gonna do?" And watch the deer in headlights stare....lol

I am not sure I would say that...it just came down too hard and fast.  I will give you though not many people were "prepared" here at work NO ONE had any clue we could get any snow...

A change to mix/snow was in the forecast but obviously not this intensity. 

What most folks don't understand is that the capacity of our major roadways is maxed out under ideal conditions and then you get something that slows it down and then it comes to a standstill.

Just having a car breakdown in the shoulder completely clear of the travel lanes and you will still get a significant backup.  

here is why..it wasn't forecast by the media/wx outlets..so the state and town were caught with pants down...even though models had this..it still wasn't forecast

We are finally out took a little while to get all the paving and drainage stuff off the truck and put plows and sander back on

Exactly..most of the state pulled them too...which is not uncommon between long periods without snow...pants down

What most folks don't understand is that the capacity of our major roadways is maxed out under ideal conditions and then you get something that slows it down and then it comes to a standstill.

Just having a car breakdown in the shoulder completely clear of the travel lanes and you will still get a significant backup.  

Fair point.

Archived