• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Welcome to bowling season! (3/29-4/1 disco)

Typhoon Tip

The worst weather-related commute I've had to date to New Haven. Anywhere from 2-3" of cement from Bethany right into downtown New Haven. Cars stuck all over the place with countless spinouts. Had to be very creative with taking back roads to avoid the gridlock. That's what you get from a couple of inches of heavy snow timed right around the morning rush on a Monday when the public was expecting mostly rain.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a coating here of sleet and snow

Are  you at home?

Nothing on the ground here.  looks to be sleeting out now.

I don't have a problem with the forecasting.  The problem is that most people don't understand that, a forecast is just that a forecast.  This day and age, people hear a forecast of 2"-4" of snow, and they go out expecting to see 4" of snow.  God forbid if they see less than that or none.  The funny thing is when you throw the water cooler forecasts into the mix, all of a sudden that 2-4 has become 6 or more by lunch. Never mind the people who may hear a forecast for a region and transpose it to their, completely different region.  Just few weeks ago I was in the doctor's office and I heard I guy talking about the 12" of snow we were supposed to get here in CT.  It was obvious that he had heard a CNE forecast, as here in CT that was NOT our forecast.  I'm sure he passed that wrong information around throughout the day as well.  

The worst weather-related commute I've had to date to New Haven. Anywhere from 2-3" of cement from Bethany right into downtown New Haven. Cars stuck all over the place with countless spinouts. Had to be very creative with taking back roads to avoid the gridlock. That's what you get from a couple of inches of heavy snow timed right around the morning rush on a Monday when the public was expecting mostly rain.

DOT consultants epic fail,dont forget that.The possibility was there,why no one except us discussed it is baffling really

4 inches wow.  We're melting fast here, down to just grassy/colder areas with a coating now...skies brightening

Just walked 10 feet out onto the back open deck. Not an official report by any means, but I got a solid 4" on the wooden ruler, slightly less than 4-1/16". Really heavy wet stuff. No significant winds and far enough away from the house that I believe it...police and fire scanner still discussing various closed roads...

DOT consultants epic fail,dont forget that.The possibility was there,why no one except us discussed it is baffling really

Again a 5-10 mile wide area getting 3-4" is not easy to predict. Look at NW CT...they have an inch of snow/sleet. I don't think many outlers expected 4" south of HFD and 1" in Norfolk CT. By the time you warm..it's already too late.

Again a 5-10 mile wide area getting 3-4" is not easy to predict. Look at NW CT...they have an inch of snow/sleet. I don't think many outlers expected 4" south of HFD and 1" in Norfolk CT. By the time you warm..it's already too late.

but you have to admit it was modeled so mentioning it and prepping for it would be prudent, fyi West Hartford to Tolland is way more than 5-10 miles

but you have to admit it was modeled so mentioning it and prepping for it would be prudent, fyi West Hartford to Tolland is way more than 5-10 miles

Tolland got 1.5" It was a real narrow band that had the high impact.  I mean you can't warn the entire state of 2-4" of high impact wet snow while an area 10 miles wide gets it either.

Tolland got 1.5" It was a real narrow band that had the high impact.  I mean you can't warn the entire state of 2-4" of high impact wet snow while an area 10 miles wide gets it either.

Worst possible time and worst possible location. Combination of factors that lead to a mess.

I don't really think anyone "forecast" this - and I think the fact that even at 5 and 6 am I didn't really see this becoming armageddon for Hartford made it worse. It literally surprised me when I saw our live camera at BDL at 645 a.m.

The area wasn't all that wide. It was fairly close to I-91, on either side. I had just under an inch up near Route 8, but then as you went further east the totals picked up sharply into the 2-3, locally 4" range. I can't imagine there's much in Windham County and New London County stayed mostly/all rain. IJD hasn't reported anything but rain all morning.

Tolland got 1.5" It was a real narrow band that had the high impact. I mean you can't warn the entire state of 2-4" of high impact wet snow while an area 10 miles wide gets it either.

true my point is officials are acting like it was a total surprise, were you surprised a heavy band set up? I wasn't, only surprise to me was OES flakes in PYM

The area wasn't all that wide. It was fairly close to I-91, on either side. I had just under an inch up near Route 8, but then as you went further east the totals picked up sharply into the 2-3, locally 4" range. I can't imagine there's much in Windham County and New London County stayed mostly/all rain. IJD hasn't reported anything but rain all morning.

pelting here

Worst possible time and worst possible location. Combination of factors that lead to a mess.

I don't really think anyone "forecast" this - and I think the fact that even at 5 and 6 am I didn't really see this becoming armageddon for Hartford made it worse. It literally surprised me when I saw our live camera at BDL at 645 a.m.

Yeah  that's pretty unusual that those NW towns had little while it blossomed and dumped in HFD. Another complication.  It's a little more complicated than a weenie snow algorith from a 00z yesterday run.

Are  you at home?

Nothing on the ground here.  looks to be sleeting out now.

I don't have a problem with the forecasting.  The problem is that most people don't understand that, a forecast is just that a forecast.  This day and age, people hear a forecast of 2"-4" of snow, and they go out expecting to see 4" of snow.  God forbid if they see less than that or none.  The funny thing is when you throw the water cooler forecasts into the mix, all of a sudden that 2-4 has become 6 or more by lunch. Never mind the people who may hear a forecast for a region and transpose it to their, completely different region.  Just few weeks ago I was in the doctor's office and I heard I guy talking about the 12" of snow we were supposed to get here in CT.  It was obvious that he had heard a CNE forecast, as here in CT that was NOT our forecast.  I'm sure he passed that wrong information around throughout the day as well.  

Yes, decent coating on grass and starting on the roads; heavy sleet at the moment

Yeah  that's pretty unusual that those NW towns had little while it blossomed and dumped in HFD. Another complication.  It's a little more complicated than a weenie snow algorith from a 00z yesterday run.

The high res models yesterday were awful too.

The RPM did do the best and was most consistent IMO.

For people complaining about not explaining potential I would have given this about a 10% or less chance of occurring yesterday for Hartford/New Haven. If I hyped up that potential every time it was there I'd bust 90% of the time. 

The high res models yesterday were awful too.

The RPM did do the best and was most consistent IMO.

For people complaining about not explaining potential I would have given this about a 10% or less chance of occurring yesterday for Hartford/New Haven. If I hyped up that potential every time it was there I'd bust 90% of the time. 

Hype sells though.

The RPM backed off at 00z though..lol. Go figure. I agree...I know we tried to mention mesoscale stuff yesterday..but this was a unique version of that. I never envisioned this intensifying like it did over the valley into Long Island.

The most impressive thing to me from this was getting accretion of freezing rain in the daylight hours on Morch 31. Trees still crackling in wind. Temp of 31.0. This has to be a very rare event for just about anyone in SNE to get zr. I can't imagine it happened this late in the season in the past more than once or twice

Archived