• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Welcome to bowling season! (3/29-4/1 disco)

Typhoon Tip

This was worth losing the bet to Scooter. None of that fake snow out on the cape. This is real deal Holyfield

Lol...I'd take what they got over 2" of slush that this one might give.

That was the probably the most lopsided bet I've seen on here to date though. :lol:

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at the 2.5 degree tilts of the OKX radar, it seems like some large planar crystals are being detected over north central CT. CC is fairly high so melting is unlikely in this region of the atmosphere. There are enhanced Zdr values indicating a bias towards horizontally oriented hydrometeors, as well as enhanced Kdp values indicating significant concentrations of ice crystals. Looking at how the reflectivity values below this region in elevation increase substantially, there is likely some large aggregates forming within that band.

If you look at the 2.5 degree tilts of the OKX radar, it seems like some large planar crystals are being detected over north central CT. CC is fairly high so melting is unlikely in this region of the atmosphere. There are enhanced Zdr values indicating a bias towards horizontally oriented hydrometeors, as well as enhanced Kdp values indicating significant concentrations of ice crystals. Looking at how the reflectivity values below this region in elevation increase substantially, there is likely some large aggregates forming within that band.

That warm layer near 850 may be causing some brief melting or at least a film of water on the flakes. You can see higher tilts are more in the way of ice crytals as you said but once you get near 4,500ft or so..that warmer layer near 850 is causing a tiny bit of melting..enough for higher reflectivities to show. The change in tilts show this nicely.

Going to be a whole lot of pissed off commuters,they went to bed being told about slushy accumulations in NW Litchfield County with maybe some sleet mixed in and drove into thislive.jpg

There's always a risk of surprises when you get a potent ULL going just to the south. This is why the "backlash never pans out" argument was likely to fail for the 2nd storm in a row.

I remember we were discussing this a couple days ago in this very thread:

Thats close to snow on GFS....man, maybe like half a degree too warm in the warmest layer?

I think someone may go to parachutes in the heart of a heavy band.

Archived