• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

Hoping for a nice day on Friday which looks likely. It's my birthday and I'm taking off of work to play some golf with my Dad.

Nice-enjoy.   Starting to look and feel like summer around here-grass growth is slowing, the wet spots are disappearing and it's downright hot in the sun mid-day

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice-enjoy.   Starting to look and feel like summer around here-grass growth is slowing, the wet spots are disappearing and it's downright hot in the sun mid-day

Looking forward to some warmer weather but for the time being thoroughly enjoying the nice cool nights which are allowing for nice sleeping weather without need for AC.

The weather is nice and all but zzzz is it boring. I'm hoping for some sort of convective activity soon because there's only so many times I can hear or say that's its another nice day. Screw the nice weather and bring on the activity.

If that tropical system that the GFS has been advertising comes to fruition things could become more active. Regardless of tropical development, he GFS is advertising a pattern that would keep things very unsettled in the long range.

Meteorological spring is definitely the most boring time of year weather wise. Period late March through early June can be excruciatingly boring, save for an impressive backdoor. We should be gradually heading out of that boring time of year. Hopefully heat waves and convection to track in the coming weeks, then tropics later in the summer.

Meteorological spring is definitely the most boring time of year weather wise. Period late March through early June can be excruciatingly boring, save for an impressive backdoor. We should be gradually heading out of that boring time of year. Hopefully heat waves and convection to track in the coming weeks, then tropics later in the summer.

The convection part you can pretty much say for places away from LI. I know where i live in SW suffolk county severe storms or even a storm with some wind hasnt happened here in atleast several years. Watching the radar for storms that i know are going to die once they hit the nassau/ suffolk border has just gotten beyond frustrating

Meteorological spring is definitely the most boring time of year weather wise. Period late March through early June can be excruciatingly boring, save for an impressive backdoor. We should be gradually heading out of that boring time of year. Hopefully heat waves and convection to track in the coming weeks, then tropics later in the summer.

I'm actually rooting for some intense heat just because it would makes things a little more interesting, but certainly any convection is a plus. I'm not putting much stock into any tropical system the gfs shows. 

The convection part you can pretty much say for places away from LI. I know where i live in SW suffolk county severe storms or even a storm with some wind hasnt happened here in atleast several years. Watching the radar for storms that i know are going to die once they hit the nassau/ suffolk border has just gotten beyond frustrating

Outside of the last few years, active weather here effectively ceases to exist after April 15th.

Did they not exclude the years when only female names were used because clearly that would play a role in this study.

And if this study is indeed correct, then it would just highlight either that people are idiots or the researchers are idiots. Anyone in the path of a hurricane will heed caution no matter what the gender of the storm is.

Anyone in the path of a hurricane will heed caution no matter what the gender of the storm is.

I wouldn't be so sure. I agree it's a bogus study, but it probably holds some grain of truth in that the general public are not logically inclined wrt weather preparedness. It's well-documented that people are less likely to evacuate after a couple recent false alarms, even though any savvy person knows that to be irrational. When you consider that people actually make the conscious decision to ignore evacuation orders because of past events, it doesn't seem implausible that some of the same people would subconsciously judge Nana or Sally to be the names of inconsequential storms.

Did they not exclude the years when only female names were used because clearly that would play a role in this study.

And if this study is indeed correct, then it would just highlight either that people are idiots or the researchers are idiots. Anyone in the path of a hurricane will heed caution no matter what the gender of the storm is.

How can a in-animate atmospheric system have a gender.

I meant the gender of the name, although sometimes people almost treat the storm as a person.

Yeah, was just posting in jest. Perhaps we should abandon names completely and have a numerical system. Besides that, names are being reused, making each storm less unique. Names can only be retired based on impacts.

I can't say for 100% certain...but I strongly believe this to be a copy 'n paste job. The syntactical choices...the choice of words...the sheer length of the post in comparison to the poster's previous oeuvre...the foray into pop psychology...just does not seem like original material.

Who on earth gave you the right to judge my character? Lol. Ever think I never bothered to put in that much effort in posting due to the childish behavior that take place? What do you think I am a little kid? I've gone to one of the best colleges in NY and have probably acomplished more in my life at the age of 27 than half the trolls on this board ever will in their entire life. I've been lurking this board for years. I'm not a newbie just because I don't post a lot. Please go undermine someone else's intelligence.

Archived