• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

The deepest snowpack I ever had was close to 18 inches (still very impressive for this area regardless, but to say "the coast was favored" last winter is just wrong).

The coast was far from favored. In fact the best combo of deep snowpack/high totals was right through his area of interior NNJ.

Anyone southeast of Sussex/Passaic Counties is simply forbidden to call last winter anything worse than "great". It was a great to excellent winter virtually areawide. 18"+ snowstorms on average occur once every several years.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The coast was far from favored. In fact the best combo of deep snowpack/high totals was right through his area of interior NNJ.

Anyone southeast of Sussex/Passaic Counties is simply forbidden to call last winter anything worse than "great". It was a great to excellent winter virtually areawide. 18"+ snowstorms on average occur once every several years.

I definitely thought it as a very nice winter, but some of the storms were downright frustrating, especially 2/13/14. That was just brutal when 10 miles away was snowing for hours after I flipped to rain. But the snowpack and longevity of it was some of the most impressive I've seen for where I live. 10-11 had more snow where I am but the snowpack could never last.

There were plenty of months with more negative EPO's over the past several decades when we examine the data. The most impressive standard deviation that I see for winter 2013-14 is March's +1.24 (which is actually the opposite modality). We've seen months, like June of 1969 for example, with +3.2 standard deviation, +2.2 in late 1976 and +2.8 in early 1978. The winters of 1977-78 and 1978-79 had just as if not more anomalous height patterns either over Alaska or the NPAC in terms of the mid level ridging. The EPO ridges were generally more intense but less expansive in the East pacific than 2013-14.

2013-14::

8wgigm.png

1978-79::

2njltli.png

1977-78::

8y5jio.png

you didn't read the paper. it focuses on a specific enso loading pattern. also, the scales are different in each image

other winters prior to el nino onsets with similar patterns:

post-63-0-62310400-1402543759_thumb.gif

post-63-0-06266800-1402543778_thumb.gif

post-63-0-03037700-1402543785_thumb.gif

post-63-0-79127900-1402543790_thumb.gif

post-63-0-25022600-1402543802_thumb.gif

Guest Pamela

Plus everyone on this board is in a sub tropical climate except for William and I, so no one really has a right to complain about last winter. That was once in a lifetime type stuff.

Last winter was one of eerie symmetry out here...71 inches of snow & 71 days with measurable snow cover.

Guest Pamela

I definitely thought it as a very nice winter, but some of the storms were downright frustrating, especially 2/13/14. That was just brutal when 10 miles away was snowing for hours after I flipped to rain.

Yeah...recall that one...picked up a quick 12.8"...biggest storm of winter.

I definitely thought it as a very nice winter, but some of the storms were downright frustrating, especially 2/13/14. That was just brutal when 10 miles away was snowing for hours after I flipped to rain. But the snowpack and longevity of it was some of the most impressive I've seen for where I live. 10-11 had more snow where I am but the snowpack could never last.

The difference even a few miles made being south of Merrick Rd/Sunrise Highway vs near the Southern State.

:lol: at people talking about winter and snow on June 12th like they can't wait.

Is your life that miserable that you're incapable of going out and enjoying the beautiful weather?

Do u see there are 3 people reading this stuff , but 1000 may jump on a day before an EC storm .

Everyone appreciates nice weather . 

You will never garner the interest in mid June as you will in mid Jan . 

:lol: at people talking about winter and snow on June 12th like they can't wait.

Is your life that miserable that you're incapable of going out and enjoying the beautiful weather?

My life will never be as miserable as that of the guy who spends a week tracking half an inch of rain.

Edit: and, like I said, there's nothing beautiful about this weather. It's 63F, overcast, and damp, with prospects of rain. That may be your fetish, but it's not mine.

My life will never be as miserable as that of the guy who spends a week tracking half an inch of rain.

Edit: and, like I said, there's nothing beautiful about this weather. It's 63F, overcast, and damp, with prospects of rain. That may be your fetish, but it's not mine.

You're right, it's much better to spend ten days tracking a winter storm that hits DC instead.

And besides, we both know that this is not typical June weather.

you didn't read the paper. it focuses on a specific enso loading pattern. also, the scales are different in each image

other winters prior to el nino onsets with similar patterns:

Ok, I read through the study and I agree with its conclusions overall. It makes some very good points. The winter seasons prior to ensuing El Nino events tend to feature enhanced mid level ridging in the NPAC/AK and there's definitely a connection to increased Rossby wave activity in the northern hemisphere. The upward propagating waves in the WPAC are probably the primary cause of the development of the 500mb ridge, while the +SSTA to the south of Alaska aid in creating a positive feedback cycle to maintain said ridge. The AO effect on strengthening the dipole and potentially aiding the +ENSO development a year later is also an interesting point. I think their argument is weaker for the connection to anthropogenic GHG's and more debatable. The other factors they noted were more than sufficient to induce anomalous ridging.

You're right, it's much better to spend ten days tracking a winter storm that hits DC instead.

And besides, we both know that this is not typical June weather.

There are plenty of Junes that have had days like these, it's almost how they are able to produce a near normal month since most sunny days in June create above normal temperatures.

And we're still above normal so far this month with some over +1 despite these cooler days and lack of "real heat" or temps 90+.

There are plenty of Junes that have had days like these, it's almost how they are able to produce a near normal month since most sunny days in June create above normal temperatures.

And we're still above normal so far this month with some over +1 despite these cooler days and lack of "real heat" or temps 90+.

90+ in June is still well above normal. I think the past few years of mostly above normal warm season temps has distorted views of what is normal and what is not. The same can be said about our snowier and colder winters spoiling people.

90+ in June is still well above normal. I think the past few years of mostly above normal warm season temps has distorted views of what is normal and what is not. The same can be said about our snowier and colder winters spoiling people.

Not to pick on you , but didn`t you say a day ago , last winter was just " good " ?

Plus everyone on this board is in a sub tropical climate except for William and I, so no one really has a right to complain about last winter. That was once in a lifetime type stuff.

What was so great about this past winter. Nothing historical in my area.

Getting kind of silly how people call it a great winter  because there area was well above normal for snow.

The far reaches of NW NJ and the Hudson Valley we were about normal  for snow and slightly below normal for temps.

Not to pick on you , but didn`t you say a day ago , last winter was just " good " ?

I did say that and I stand by what I said.

It was extremely cold which does nothing for me personally.

We had a lot of small and moderate events but no real blockbuster storms.

And I missed a lot of events that went to my south.

It's not a knock on last winter, just for my backyard I've had better.

It's like the Boxing Day storm. I only had 14" while places ten miles to my east had 24"+. Does that mean I didn't enjoy it? No. But some posters experienced it as the most intense ever.

What was so great about this past winter. Nothing historical in my area.

Getting kind of silly how people call it a great winter  because there area was well above normal for snow.

The far reaches of NW NJ and the Hudson Valley we were about normal  for snow and slightly below normal for temps.

Exactly, people down in Monmouth County were the jackpot for last winter in our greater region. At least a few storms hit that area hard while places north of I-80 saw little or nothing.

I did say that and I stand by what I said.

It was extremely cold which does nothing for me personally.

We had a lot of small and moderate events but no real blockbuster storms.

And I missed a lot of events that went to my south.

It's not a knock on last winter, just for my backyard I've had better.

It's like the Boxing Day storm. I only had 14" while places ten miles to my east had 24"+. Does that mean I didn't enjoy it? No. But some posters experienced it as the most intense ever.

So in other words you were spoiled by snowier and colder winters?

So in other words you were spoiled by snowier and colder winters?

No, I'm not sure you're getting my point.

Let's go back to the winter of 2010-2011 which many here regard as the best of all time in this area. Then look at 2011-2012. Still a good winter for many but not as good. The winter of 2012-2013 was unbearable here because people had become so accustomed to regular storm threats and KU's always on the horizon that a normal winter was no longer normal.

There were so many piss poor forecast the past winter in my area, it makes you wonder how some forecasters have jobs.

I would guess we had around 5-8 winter storm warnings that busted.

Root casues for the bad forecast - poor snow growth, dry air, low moved to far south at the last minute etc.

Euro still owes me over 50 inches of snow.

Last winter was a GREAT winter by many metrics. Almost EVERYONE on this board finished with a top 10 seasonal average 

and top 10 out of 150 years of record keeping is GREAT when you live at 40- 70 . Just look at what normal is ....

Most doubled there yearly average

Most finished in the top 10 in the record books  

Nov Jan Feb March , were all COLDER  than normal . And if it didn`t hit 72 on Dec 22, adding 1 full degree onto the average 

we would have been normal in most areas for DEC too  .

Either people`s idea of what normal is is skewed or  a winter without a 2 foot snowstorm gets discarded in ones mind  .

There were winters that were  colder and with more snowfall ,  with bigger single events and they are considered great as well .

But the amount of continued cold shots and nickel and dime events added up to a top 10 year . 

If you think last year was just " good " . you have that right  , but if you ask me , you are missing what  TRUE  normal is in you`re area . 

Archived