joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be kinda cool as long as we went all in record warmth, like an average high of 60 in January would be awesome. I always felt that if it's not going to snow I'd rather have warmth.

yeah, once I realized winter was dead on arrival in years like 01-02, 11-12, I embraced the warmth and rooted it on.

You risk vegetation damage in a very warm winter as various flowering plants and trees can start to blossom early only to be put in risk during a sudden quick burst of well below freezing temperatures. You also take an economic hit due to a cessation of all winter activity due to warm weather. I know the public would love another 2001-2002 or 2011-2012 but there's something very unnatural about those types of winters that seem to throw the natural order off balance. 

I have no idea how the upcoming winter will be but a moderate El Nino along with possible western ridging due to well above SSTs off the northwest coast are a nice signal. The NAO is often the key ingredient in an El Nino winter as opposed to a neutral winter where the EPO could take over everything. We can see plenty of high QPF events in an El Nino winter but they could all be too warm or rain if the NAO doesn't cooperate even during a perfect track in January. 

You risk vegetation damage in a very warm winter as various flowering plants and trees can start to blossom early only to be put in risk during a sudden quick burst of well below freezing temperatures. You also take an economic hit due to a cessation of all winter activity due to warm weather. I know the public would love another 2001-2002 or 2011-2012 but there's something very unnatural about those types of winters that seem to throw the natural order off balance.

I have no idea how the upcoming winter will be but a moderate El Nino along with possible western ridging due to well above SSTs off the northwest coast are a nice signal. The NAO is often the key ingredient in an El Nino winter as opposed to a neutral winter where the EPO could take over everything. We can see plenty of high QPF events in an El Nino winter but they could all be too warm or rain if the NAO doesn't cooperate even during a perfect track in January.

Anything but cold and dry. I'd take mild and wet or cool and snowy.

If it's not snowing I still want it cold from November through March. I actually think 30-40F by day and 10-20F at night is beautiful if you've got full sun.

I love EPO` s 5SD below normal . Wana keep that look from  Dec - Feb 

My favorite misinformed comment during the winter season is that cold periods will make it less likely for the coast to change to rain during a coastal storm. It could be below zero for ten days in a row and if the track and thermal profiles aren't perfect as the storm is approaching it means nothing.

If we didn't have that annoying PV last year we wouldn't have had so many suppression blues.

My favorite misinformed comment during the winter season is that cold periods will make it less likely for the coast to change to rain during a coastal storm. It could be below zero for ten days in a row and if the track and thermal profiles aren't perfect as the storm is approaching it means nothing.

If we didn't have that annoying PV last year we wouldn't have had so many suppression blues.

That annoyance yielded me 73 inches thank you . 

You would have rained in Dec and Jan with that  neg PNA and pos NAO .You got burned in March but by that time the damage was done.

Last year was a double edged sword.

We did manage to pull off a lot of nickel and dime events and even a few quarters, but I still never got my PDII redux despite numerous great over running setups.

Archived