• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

No, I'm not sure you're getting my point.

Let's go back to the winter of 2010-2011 which many here regard as the best of all time in this area. Then look at 2011-2012. Still a good winter for many but not as good. The winter of 2012-2013 was unbearable here because people had become so accustomed to regular storm threats and KU's always on the horizon that a normal winter was no longer normal.

But you're saying 2013-14 was not a great winter because it didn't have a Blizzard of 96 or PDII type storm, which are very rare storms. So if you're saying you need one like that in order to qualify as a great winter despite total snowfall being well above normal then you are also spoiled by previous winters.

2011-12 was not a good winter for anyone in this area...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's go back to the winter of 2010-2011 which many here regard as the best of all time in this area. Then look at 2011-2012. Still a good winter for many but not as good. The winter of 2012-2013 was unbearable here because people had become so accustomed to regular storm threats and KU's always on the horizon that a normal winter was no longer normal.

you have 11-12 and 12-13 mixed up.  11-12 sucked.  And yes, the whining was unbearable b/c folks expect 50 inches a year after years like 02-03, 09-10, 10-11 etc.

I'm sorry but did you just say 2011-2012 was still good or am I misinterpreting what you mean.

But you're saying 2013-14 was not a great winter because it didn't have a Blizzard of 96 or PDII type storm, which are very rare storms. So if you're saying you need one like that in order to qualify as a great winter despite total snowfall being well above normal then you are also spoiled by previous winters.

2011-12 was not a good winter for anyone in this area...

I did have my winters mixed up a little because 2011 was such a good winter on the front end but obviously not on the back end.

And no it doesn't have to be a 96' esque storm to be considered great, but I never even received a snowfall lasting more than 12 hours. We had that one event that dumped in the morning. Picked up 11" in three hours but after that it quit.

Last winter was a GREAT winter by many metrics. Almost EVERYONE on this board finished with a top 10 seasonal average 

and top 10 out of 150 years of record keeping is GREAT when you live at 40- 70 . Just look at what normal is ....

Most doubled there yearly average

Most finished in the top 10 in the record books  

Nov Jan Feb March , were all COLDER  than normal . And if it didn`t hit 72 on Dec 22, adding 1 full degree onto the average 

we would have been normal in most areas for DEC too  .

Either people`s idea of what normal is is skewed or  a winter without a 2 foot snowstorm gets discarded in ones mind  .

There were winters that were  colder and with more snowfall ,  with bigger single events and they are considered great as well .

But the amount of continued cold shots and nickel and dime events added up to a top 10 year . 

If you think last year was just " good " . you have that right  , but if you ask me , you are missing what  TRUE  normal is in you`re area . 

I had 55 inches, but the way we got there was nailbiting every time. The storms before 2/13 were all supposed to be suppressed or very weak before 48 hours out, 2/13 was a huge hit for most but also locally disappointing where the 925mb warm nose managed to ruin the event, and thereafter everything was mainly suppressed. It was good that we surprised beneficially much of the time but not one flake came "easily".

I had 55 inches, but the way we got there was nailbiting every time. The storms before 2/13 were all supposed to be suppressed or very weak before 48 hours out, 2/13 was a huge hit for most but also locally disappointing where the 925mb warm nose managed to ruin the event, and thereafter everything was mainly suppressed. It was good that we surprised beneficially much of the time but not one flake came "easily".

The bolded part is all that matters. More than double average qualifies as a great winter in my book. If you had 55" in 1991 and didn't say it was a great winter after the previous decade people would have thought you were insane. We're spoiled by the last 20 years and since 2000 in particular.

The bolded part is all that matters. More than double average qualifies as a great winter in my book. If you had 55" in 1991 and didn't say it was a great winter after the previous decade people would have thought you were insane. We're spoiled by the last 20 years and since 2000 in particular.

Agree , in 145 years of record keeping it looks like  2013- 2014 KNYC beat 136 of them . 

See I disagree. If I had only received 3 events all last winter but they were all 20" events my perception would be much better than if I had received 15 storms totaling 60".

See I disagree. If I had only received 3 events all last winter but they were all 20" events my perception would be much better than if I had received 15 storms totaling 60".

It's really a matter of perspective, some folks want 2 or 3 big bombs where as others prefer 8-10 moderate storms...end result is the same 60 inches, but how we get there is very different.

It's really a matter of perspective, some folks want 2 or 3 big bombs where as others prefer 8-10 moderate storms...end result is the same 60 inches, but how we get there is very different.

I'll take quality over quantity and I'll always be praying for that 72 hour over running event followed by coastal that never pans out.

Exactly, people down in Monmouth County were the jackpot for last winter in our greater region. At least a few storms hit that area hard while places north of I-80 saw little or nothing.

I disagree on us being the jackpot. The highest numbers, albeit by a slight amount, were in NW NJ, around 75" total. Also, relative to normal, the PHL local area was a snowfall maximum. Monmouth County did very well, but NNJ did equally well snowfall wise. Additionally, in terms of snowpack, NNJ had a longer duration of snow on the ground than here. My longest duration snow cover was from Jan 20th to Feb 21st. Many areas in NNJ had snow on the ground from early January through mid March.

NJ-Snow-Totals-FINAL-2013-14.png

I disagree on us being the jackpot. The highest numbers, albeit by a slight amount, were in NW NJ, around 75" total. Also, relative to normal, the PHL local area was a snowfall maximum. Monmouth County did very well, but NNJ did equally well snowfall wise. Additionally, in terms of snowpack, NNJ had a longer duration of snow on the ground than here. My longest duration snow cover was from Jan 20th to Feb 21st. Many areas in NNJ had snow on the ground from early January through mid March.

NJ-Snow-Totals-FINAL-2013-14.png

I`m just not sure that when we total it all up and most places finished in the top 8 or so in snowfall in 14 plus decades of record keeping how anyone can insist that doesn't constitute great .

But hey , its ones right .  I just wish some of you younger guys were around in the 80`s , Unicorns were more common than snow maps like these . 

Good work Tom

The School Safety Agent at the school where my mom works ( he was also my dad's friend ) planted these flowers in honor of my dad. How nice. He was loved by many. RIP =(ok0lc7.jpg

A wonderful man remembered by many with a celebration of life.

.......... No greater wealth. .......... No greater legacy

We should all do as well.

Archived