12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March 25 snow event obs

Ian

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Granted I wasn't at home during most of the snow yesterday, but all the spotters around Columbia have over 3" so I'll trust them.  Definitely had about 0.4" after 6pm yesterday.  So, I'll go with 3.2" which pushes me over 60" on the season!

I posted this yesterday morning in the storm disco thread. For those who like cool and useful weather tools, bookmark this one. Experimental from FSU and based off the NAM, it was excellent all winter at pinpointing banding in the short range.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/banding/t18z/frontb.html

Here is the forecasted frontogensis off yesterdays 18z run. Best forcing as shown here(+5 hr) is where the super-band set up that gave central/southern DE 5-7 inches.

post-1005-0-83865200-1395846125_thumb.pn

Does anyone know Ocean City's total?

The event was somewhat lame up my way. I ended up with .8"...

There is no official obs for Ocean City, Salisbury airport reported 4" officially. Wallops also reported 3" officially.

6.5 inches total for the event in Lewes at my house. An incredible 35 inches for the season, with 19.25" coming in March. Seasonal average is 12-13 inches.

That is fantastic. Does Rehoboth mimic fairly closely what you get in Lewis? Do you know what their totals were for the winter?

I went with 2.8", and then the other local cocorahs observers were very close, so I'm confident in that number. 0.34" precip in the gauge, which works out to about 8:1, which frankly is better than I thought it would be.

We had 6 inches here from .52 at the airport, (I'm under 2 miles away, so I'd assume the same) It was powdery snow and HARD to make a snowman and snow balls. We did, but it was very challenging. I hit 6 inches and we had another .05 liquid fall that didn't add ot my depth and at that point the snowballs came easier as we hit 34-- it was super cold aloft, so I was impressed for March 25. Close to 12-1 ratios, if not slightly better till the very end. 

I would like to mention that the Euro was all over the place with this storm and, imho, performed horribly. Even on yesterday's 12Z run it spit out twice the qpf that actually fell at BWI. It did better in DC and further south I admit. As bad as it was at BWI, however, it was worse in ENE, giving Boston several inches (3-6") for days thru yesterday's 12Z run. It yanked those forecasts and 12Z today gave Boston .09" and all they ended up with was one hourly report of light snow with 6 miles visibility!  Also, it's ACK qpf thru yesterday was double what it spit at today at 12Z too. All in all, if you consider the days of forecasts leading up to the event, it seems to have gotten lucky with a few locations but was generally pretty bad in most of the major I95 cities.  

Including today it will be 8 days in March that DCA has been -13 or colder and 8 days that IAD -15 or colder. Likely, not definite, this finishes coldest since 1970 and certainly since 1996.  Now I know the AGW crowd will decry how this winter has effected eastern 2/3 of USA and Canada but if the Vortex does not elect to retun to it's typical position then at least part of the summer may also be quite unusual. I personally think that while the AGW have been focused on warmth that they failed to acknowledge the changes that began after 97/98 and especially since 2009.  I guess it will take some more time to start focusing on the last 15 years rather than Al Gore charts with lines going up to the ceiling of the audiotorium. 

That dosent make sense because the day after our st paddy storm it was really cold

The day it ended it was.. the next day it mostly vanished. Obviously a lot less to start with this go but it managed well considering. 

Archived