Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Do We have one More in Us?

Damage In Tolland

Yes...

The 2010 Boxing Day Blizzard was all but entirely flattened to a no go in the models of the day ...even as near as 60 hours prior, then ... at 36 hours a bump NW heralded a giant leaping surge NW on the very next cycle, and next thing you know... boom.  

There's no reason something similar absolutely can't happen now.  Just have to keep monitoring.

That was nuts.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So -- what's the point? There's still no reason something like that absolutely can't happen now.

And what science defined that as a 1/20 deal? Seriously -- just asking. If that is mere conjecture, it doesn't unfortunately mean anything. And I disagree anyway... I have seen more than 1 positive busts over the last 20 years... A lot more.

Ironically, NCEP defined this system and it's attending parental patter as ding ding ding ... "ONCE IN A 10 OR 20 YEAR EVENT" just the other day.

I'm not saying there is going to be a big storm, just that one's an idiot if they claim it can't come back/happen.

Cheers to common sense. This is modeled to be what it is modeled, nothing more or less can be said definitively. Brian is in the NYC forum posting tweets from various mets and calling them busts or wins already.

Will be awesome to watch unfold over the ocean....def. will be one of those extra tropical systems that has an eye like feature...

I thought I read somewhere ... a recent paper that discussed how there's a type of warm seclusion with bombing storms.  But certainly dry air can also get "caught" in the core as the system wraps up, and this is noted in systems of lore.   

I thought I read somewhere ... a recent paper that discussed how there's a type of warm seclusion with bombing storms.  But certainly dry air can also get "caught" in the core as the system wraps up, and this is noted in systems of lore.   

I'd like to read a piece on that.

Sounds interesting...

So -- what's the point?   There's still no reason something like that absolutely can't happen now.

And what science defined that as a 1/20 deal?  Seriously -- just asking. If that is mere conjecture, it doesn't unfortunately mean anything.  And I disagree anyway... I have seen more than 1 positive busts over the last 20 years... A lot more.

Ironically, NCEP defined this system and it's attending parental patter as ding ding ding ... "ONCE IN A 10 OR 20 YEAR EVENT" just the other day.

I'm not saying there is going to be a big storm, just that one's an idiot if they claim it can't come back/happen. 

Sure it could come back, but the odds of it happening really lessened when models started bailing at 48 hrs.   My point was that some folks will use the Boxing day example for every storm that goes south/east on us at this time frame.  19 out of 20 times, the models are right when they bail at 48 hrs.  With no blocking here, and climo, the result of a later and further NE development should not be that surprising.

Ray I found it ... 

http://udini.proquest.com/view/warm-seclusion-extratropical-goid:876024275/

It's pretty straight forward. Discusses that warm seclusion at the cores of powerful extra-tropical cyclones is symptomatic of excessive deepening rates.  Said "explosive" development implies tremendous latent heat release, and that is barotropic relative to the baroclinic thermal layout surrounding the core, etc etc...  

Where are those coffin nails again...?

But I'll keep open the 12/26/2010 option on the table. We are ridiculously close, just a matter of balancing the relative weight and gyrations of 2-3 multiple pieces of shortwave energy.

Compare 12z (scraper) to 0z Euro (blizzard):

12z

post-3106-0-50304500-1395603088_thumb.pn

0z

Differences are actually not that big, and EC Ens will be interesting.

At least 3 bowling balls that are gyrating around the rack.

In the 12z run, energy #1 is slightly stronger and energy #3 is slightly weaker --> the eastern-most low dominates much earlier and the subsequent closer to coast low gyrates (literally looks like a fujiwara effect) counterclockwise away from it, consequently scraping SNE.

In the 0z run, energy #1 is slightly weaker and energy #3 is slightly stronger and digs more --> the coast low dominates and tracks near the BM, and only later swings around and consolidates with the eastern low (I believe as energy #2 catches up).

I don't think models are done swinging these around, but window is obviously closing fast with now no serious models (EC Ens?) showing the right interaction.

And none of this spread out / OES qpf nonsense. This will be relatively consolidated imo. We need phasing to work out just right ala 12/26/2010, otherwise we watch Winter 2013-14 dumbbell out of our way goodbye.

Sure it could come back, but the odds of it happening really lessened when models started bailing at 48 hrs.   My point was that some folks will use the Boxing day example for every storm that goes south/east on us at this time frame.  19 out of 20 times, the models are right when they bail at 48 hrs.  With no blocking here, and climo, the result of a later and further NE development should not be that surprising.

Look, I was telling a clear beginner in the field of weather, that there are no absolutes, and really -- no offense intended -- didn't require any response on your part, at all.  I merely proved that by citing one case, and again... no, there are more than 1 examples of positive busts in the last 20 years. 

Conversation, over.

Didn't something like that happen with the big low off the CA coast on Feb 28?

Look, I was telling a clear beginner in the field of weather, that there are no absolutes, and really -- no offense intended -- didn't require any response on your part, at all.  I merely proved that by citing one case, and again... no, there are more than 1 examples of positive busts in the last 20 years. 

Conversation, over.

Fair enough.  I'll hope for the best :snowing:

A 25-50 mile adjustment west means a lot. I don't think that's off the table... nor another eastward jog.

yeah for folks in southeast ma and the cape, I would keep one eye partially on this. As is back the euro up 50 miles and a foot moves into our area at least.

I've also thought I saw these storms notoriously jog northwest towards verification time.

If it moves east even more tonight and tomorrow 12z, its toast though.

I know its purely anecdotal, but since the February 15th storm, every single event has found a way to screw us for multiple different reasons. For a month plus now, its been meh

Yea.

The Islanders could win the Cup, but I'll place money against it.

No absolutes in meteorology.

Archived