joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Do We have one More in Us?

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are going to post definitive statements, can you please explain your reasoning in a bit more detail?

Empirical only.

I'm not buying the progressive fish storm. I wish I could be more scientific, convective feedback issues have been discussed but not sure how much of a factor that is. I like the positioning of the 500 mb ridge over the midwest, generally an upstream ridge over the Dakotas is pretty good for us. Id like to see that ridge pump up a bit but verbatim, it just does not have the u/l look of a complete whiff.

...and when the EC is on an island, hop on with it.

Steve most of march has stunk for sne. That's what I was referring to in terms of snow. We have missed a ton of epic chances and are on the fence with another one.

Ggem uk euro keep it very interesting....even the gefs. But Ray is right aside of last nights 0z euro it's mainly been focused in SE areas

Yes Cape right now looks good.Blair looks great

Empirical only.

I'm not buying the progressive fish storm. I wish I could be more scientific, convective feedback issues have been discussed but not sure how much of a factor that is. I like the positioning of the 500 mb ridge over the midwest, generally an upstream ridge over the Dakotas is pretty good for us. Id like to see that ridge pump up a bit but verbatim, it just does not have the u/l look of a complete whiff.

Thank you for clarifying. So if I understand you correctly, you think the surface is not translating correctly from the upper levels?

It's one thing for the euro to show what it did but a mean of its 51 ensemble members is similar. Kind of flummoxing.

One possible caution flag is that there seemed to be a developing cluster on the SE side of the ecens main cluster, as compared to the 0z ecens.

It's one thing for the euro to show what it did but a mean of its 51 ensemble members is similar. Kind of flummoxing.

Flummoxing is right.

Operational runs can swing... EC ensemble means are pretty solid at this range.

I like Messenger's bowling balls bouncing around in the rack analogy. Lots to sort out, and not surprised to see models struggle. 

Clearly NCEP doesn't have a good handle on this either.

NCEP:

THE NAM AND GEM ARE FARTHEST EAST. THE GFS AND ECMWF SPLIT THE DIFF...BUT THE GFS BECOMES THE

FASTEST SOLN IN TIME. ACCOUNTING FOR THE SPREAD....AND WITH SUPPORT FROM THE LATEST GEFS MEAN AND ESP THE ECENS MEAN...THE ECMWF HAS THE STRONGEST SUPPORT. GIVEN BETTER RESOLUTION ON THE ECENS MEAN...WOULD PREFER TO BLEND IT WITH THE ECMWF ATTM...BUT CONFIDENCE IS AGAIN LIMITED GIVEN THE SPREAD WITH INTENSITY AND TO A DEGREE TIMING OFFSHORE THE EAST COAST.

The only thing is we saw the ensembles of all models have followed their operational solutions in the past couple storms...the March snow bomb up here did that when they were all ticking back and forth/north and south. Even like 24-48 hours out they were jumping 50-75 miles almost in tandem. I even remember Will mentioning that...didn't matter if it was the SREF/GEFS/ECMS, they would follow their op run. If it ticks NW, they will too...east, the ensembles also go east.

Flummoxing is right.

Operational runs can swing... EC ensemble means are pretty solid at this range.

I like Messenger's bowling balls bouncing around in the rack analogy. Lots to sort out, and not surprised to see models struggle. 

Clearly NCEP doesn't have a good handle on this either.

NCEP:

THE NAM AND GEM ARE FARTHEST EAST. THE GFS AND ECMWF SPLIT THE DIFF...BUT THE GFS BECOMES THE

FASTEST SOLN IN TIME. ACCOUNTING FOR THE SPREAD....AND WITH SUPPORT FROM THE LATEST GEFS MEAN AND ESP THE ECENS MEAN...THE ECMWF HAS THE STRONGEST SUPPORT. GIVEN BETTER RESOLUTION ON THE ECENS MEAN...WOULD PREFER TO BLEND IT WITH THE ECMWF ATTM...BUT CONFIDENCE IS AGAIN LIMITED GIVEN THE SPREAD WITH INTENSITY AND TO A DEGREE TIMING OFFSHORE THE EAST COAST.

And when one discusses using the ensm mean, they should be referencing the 500mb/850/700/ MSLP and other major features.  QPF is the lowest on that list and should be taken lightly.

My gut says this is a good, warning criteria storm for BOS-PVD and southeast...even if it's on the NW edge, there will be some curling bands from SW-NE that will have the ability to deliver. Obviously it's touch and go being on the gradient of big vs nothing, but I think this works out decently for you guys in SE and E New England. Maybe not son of April 97 but you're at the least going to be shoveling one more time.

Interesting how so many have the dumbell lows and/or inverted weenies dangling off of them.

JMA misses everyone in the northeast. Looks like the GGEM and GFS.

Well -that settles it, time to cancel this one, not sure why we all got so invested. (/sarcasm)

Archived