wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Do We have one More in Us?

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know. And the water boarders are peeing on last night's excitement because they weren't there or they've publicly staked their flag on the other side.

I don't think a single poster has spiked the football on a big event. Even the new posters realize this is still way too far out.

I wish people could just objectively read the guidance and make rational predictions regardless of where they initially staked their flag.

And for some who've staked their flag on the other side, it is entertaining to watch your cognitive dissonance of rooting for something just to be proven correct when it's the opposite of what you actually want.

Fact is 12z guidance yesterday trended nicely. Fact is 12z EC ens median was clearly west of the mean. These things were identified, as was the sensitivity of the strength and timing of multiple pieces of energy to very different guidance solutions, as was the double-barreled fujiwara-like dance on the euro (well before this was part of Box's discussion). My and other's posts are all there.

This may turn out to be a scraper (defined as Cape or less), and I'm fine with that. But let's watch how this unfolds. Having our best guidance trend into a big hit (defined as Bos metro or more) with ensemble support within 84 hours is not something to ignore.

Best bet is scraper cape SE special 40%, whiff and a scrape to SE Cape 30%, something better than say last nights GFS where the .5 was cutting through the Cape 30%.

I took a quick look at the data last night, the posts here and overall mood and probably went overboard, seemed like it was a foregone conclusion from the consensus of social media chatter, media, etc that this was going to be a historic event, potentially crippling.  There are pros that are ALWAYS low up here that are gang busters this time.  After I got a 15 yard penalty for trolling in excitement and re-assessed I'm much more conservative.  The biggest mistake is I started using twitter to keep track of news on the lost plane and in doing so found myself following some weather posts there too....huge disaster.  I was conservative before yesterday, those probabilities above seem realistic to me but a total whiff here is still not out of the question and probably on equal footing with a more region wide event as of right now.  I have little confidence in the Euro this winter. 

DC gets a few inches on the nam and everyone north of southern nj is dry including the cape out to ack. Call me skeptical.

Seems to be an exaggeration of the interaction between the two developing s/w's in the overall trough.  It's not totally unreasonable Jerry that we see a more progressive system with an impulse firing in the lead that sadly isn't captured in time/at all. The Euro is precariously close to a much more negative solution IMO.  It's really on the fence, we'll see how it all shakes out today.

Going forward I put more/as much stock in the RGEM/GGEM than I would any other model.  Certainly a heavy compromise with the Euro that comes out today.

Best bet is scraper cape SE special 40%, whiff and a scrape to SE Cape 30%, something better than say last nights GFS where the .5 was cutting through the Cape 30%.

I took a quick look at the data last night, the posts here and overall mood and probably went overboard, seemed like it was a foregone conclusion from the consensus of social media chatter, media, etc that this was going to be a historic event, potentially crippling. There are pros that are ALWAYS low up here that are gang busters this time. After I got a 15 yard penalty for trolling in excitement and re-assessed I'm much more conservative. The biggest mistake is I started using twitter to keep track of news on the lost plane and in doing so found myself following some weather posts there too....huge disaster. I was conservative before yesterday, those probabilities above seem realistic to me but a total whiff here is still not out of the question and probably on equal footing with a more region wide event as of right now. I have little confidence in the Euro this winter.

Seems to be an exaggeration of the interaction between the two developing s/w's in the overall trough. It's not totally unreasonable Jerry that we see a more progressive system with an impulse firing in the lead that sadly isn't captured in time/at all. The Euro is precariously close to a much more negative solution IMO. It's really on the fence, we'll see how it all shakes out today.

Going forward I put more/as much stock in the RGEM/GGEM than I would any other model. Certainly a heavy compromise with the Euro that comes out today.

Lol, you got twittered.

I also have low confidence in last night's op Euro solution. But I read the HPC disco you posted, and they ended it by saying it is a low confidence forecast in general.

When the Euro goes left and the rest go right, you know there is still movement that will occur on probably all of the models.

Euro has stacked 8 h 7h emerging near DC traveling to BM with SLP slightly tilted. I dont know where the dual lobes idea originates.

Ginxy check it out on Wundermaps: has the 3hourly increments and you can see the 2 distinct surface lows with western most low near the BM, and then they do a fujiwara-like thing around each other thereafter before consolidating into one surface low. Box references this too: "European model (ecmwf) indicating a double low structure with western low tracking near the benchmark".

Euro mid level features are at or near the BM, what do you mean dual lobes? Surface pressure?

Follow the bouncing balls on the Euro.

At 60 or so hours 500mb jumbled vortmax(s) come off the SE coast and shoot straight up the coast in advance of the overall trough.  They actually end up pinwheeling INTO eastern New England.  As that lifts north a second impulse associated with the main energy comes off the Carolinas and screams towards the BM rotating east of the western lobe which is strong enough to pull it back west (similar to what the 6z NAM hinted at) and eventually they phase just to our east.

There's this other misconception that the low forming well off Florida signals error.  The Euro did the same thing.  The low IS going to form in association with that 500mb/jet energy that is coming out of the deep, deep south.  The models that get us good rely on the digging energy to sling/capture that up the coast, then phase/explosively deepen the entire situation near us. 

Last nights Euro run IMO relies on an extremely delicate and probably unlikely balance?  The NAM changed at 12z because it focused more on a slightly earlier development off the SE coast with more energy at 500mb.  As a result the digging s/w can exert less force on it, and it's able to sneak away.

NAM outside of 48, forget it.  Inside of 48 it's not that dissimilar from the Euro and others.  It's just a really fine line.

EDIT: Steve it's two distinct features at 500mb (one could argue three actually).  They originate 750 miles apart in the development of this low.   That's why there's a dual barrel surface low on the Euro.  It's clearly, without question a multi-lobed vortmax in the overall trough structure.  Without blocking this has been the issue many, many times this winter.  Phasing becomes difficult because there's nothing upstream to rack the bowling balls.

what is that hard to see on my phone, I watch ML features and not seeing dual lobes,if I am seeing that right the pressure field is elongated as occlusion occurs?

Well yeah, this is what we do not know right now.  It could be just the models struggling to show a defined slp center or there could actually be a dual centers.

Follow the bouncing balls on the Euro.

At 60 or so hours 500mb jumbled vortmax(s) come off the SE coast and shoot straight up the coast in advance of the overall trough. They actually end up pinwheeling INTO eastern New England. As that lifts north a second impulse associated with the main energy comes off the Carolinas and screams towards the BM rotating east of the western lobe which is strong enough to pull it back west (similar to what the 6z NAM hinted at) and eventually they phase just to our east.

There's this other misconception that the low forming well off Florida signals error. The Euro did the same thing. The low IS going to form in association with that 500mb/jet energy that is coming out of the deep, deep south. The models that get us good rely on the digging energy to sling/capture that up the coast, then phase/explosively deepen the entire situation near us.

Last nights Euro run IMO relies on an extremely delicate and probably unlikely balance? The NAM changed at 12z because it focused more on a slightly earlier development off the SE coast with more energy at 500mb. As a result the digging s/w can exert less force on it, and it's able to sneak away.

NAM outside of 48, forget it. Inside of 48 it's not that dissimilar from the Euro and others. It's just a really fine line.

EDIT: Steve it's two distinct features at 500mb (one could argue three actually). They originate 750 miles apart in the development of this low. That's why there's a dual barrel surface low on the Euro. It's clearly, without question a multi-lobed vortmax in the overall trough structure. Without blocking this has been the issue many, many times this winter. Phasing becomes difficult because there's nothing upstream to rack the bowling balls.

Since I am the only one who mentioned it:

It's not that the low off Fl cause by CF is an error...it's that the NAM's depiction of it was in error.

All models have it, but none to the extent of the NAM.

I stated this pretty clearly earlier this morning.

Archived