joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Do We have one More in Us?

Damage In Tolland

Well put, Scott.

I think this event has been very frustrating for a bunch of folks

Chickadees FTL

This March for me will go down as a month with the most opportunity I can remember, that produced so little comparatively (assuming this system this week ends up more towards NCEP guidance).  Regardless if it's a 5" deal on the Cape and not much else NW the point remains the same.

The pros haven't tossed the towel in, this was from late this afternoon NCEP

FOR DAY 3...WPC STAYED CLOSER TO A BLEND OF THE 12Z ECMWF AND

UKMET GUIDANCE WITH THE QPF OVER NEW ENGLAND. HOWEVER...BECAUSE OF

THE DRIER NAM AND DRIER GFS/GEM GLOBAL MODELS...AGAIN THE

CONFIDENCE LEVEL REMAINS BELOW AVERAGE. AT THIS POINT...

PROBABILITIES OF EXCEEDING 4 INCHES ON DAY 3 REMAIN HIGHEST FROM

EASTERN CT/MA RI...THROUGH SOUTHEASTERN NH AND DOWNEAST ME.

MEANWHILE...THE HIGHEST 8-12+ INCH PROBABILITIES WERE NOTED FROM

RI AND FAR ERN MA (HIGHEST OVER CAPE COD) NORTHEAST THROUGH

DOWNEAST ME.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This March for me will go down as a month with the most opportunity I can remember, that produced so little comparatively (assuming this system this week ends up more towards NCEP guidance).  Regardless if it's a 5" deal on the Cape and not much else NW the point remains the same.

The pros haven't tossed the towel in, this was from late this afternoon NCEP

FOR DAY 3...WPC STAYED CLOSER TO A BLEND OF THE 12Z ECMWF AND

UKMET GUIDANCE WITH THE QPF OVER NEW ENGLAND. HOWEVER...BECAUSE OF

THE DRIER NAM AND DRIER GFS/GEM GLOBAL MODELS...AGAIN THE

CONFIDENCE LEVEL REMAINS BELOW AVERAGE. AT THIS POINT...

PROBABILITIES OF EXCEEDING 4 INCHES ON DAY 3 REMAIN HIGHEST FROM

EASTERN CT/MA RI...THROUGH SOUTHEASTERN NH AND DOWNEAST ME.

MEANWHILE...THE HIGHEST 8-12+ INCH PROBABILITIES WERE NOTED FROM

RI AND FAR ERN MA (HIGHEST OVER CAPE COD) NORTHEAST THROUGH

DOWNEAST ME.

I don't think anyone locally really is, either -- there's a lot of hyperbole and making fun of the runs and stuff, buts not really a full capitulation. 

I'm just curious about this storm. Seems like a definite miss but If it hit SNE how much snow would we have? Any storms It could be compared to in terms of snow and wind? I'm just a wx observer but would appreciate some thoughts of any mets just to learn something from missing such an intense storm.

not saying the euro was horrible for this storm but i have notice the ensembles not being much of a lock as they use to be…..seems like they never remain consistent or establish a trend one way or the other. There has been some really wild swings in the op also inside 72 hrs this year, something that never seem to happen a few years ago….I wonder if the update screwed with it

not saying the euro was horrible for this storm but i have notice the ensembles not being much of a lock as they use to be…..seems like they never remain consistent or establish a trend one way or the other. There has been some really wild swings in the op also inside 72 hrs this year, something that never seem to happen a few years ago….I wonder if the update screwed with it

I spoke to some representatives from ECMWF at a conference and they are well aware of the model's decline to an extent over the States since 2008 or 2009 but their main focus is on making the model work over Europe as we obviously know...there wil be another upgrade soon and we'll see what that does with it.

I'm just curious about this storm. Seems like a definite miss but If it hit SNE how much snow would we have? Any storms It could be compared to in terms of snow and wind? I'm just a wx observer but would appreciate some thoughts of any mets just to learn something from missing such an intense storm.

Probably 1-2'+

I spoke to some representatives from ECMWF at a conference and they are well aware of the model's decline to an extent over the States since 2008 or 2009 but their main focus is on making the model work over Europe as we obviously know...there wil be another upgrade soon and we'll see what that does with it.

Thanks this is really good info…i remember the winter of 08-09 the euro was the all out king, nailed pretty much everything that winter….

it has certainly struggled at times this winter...

They should offer Americans discounted access.

Every model has struggled with day to day details. You had anomalous AK ridging with a polar vortex and lack of a strong SE ridge. I think people are giving operational runs way too much of the benefit due to a few years of sucesss. They really should not be held so high beyind 72 hrs out..no matter how successful they are.

Well dismissing and questioning are two different things. I didn't dismiss last night's solution. I did question it and wanted to wait until 12z to see if this was for real.

Exactly, and I think many felt the same way. Honestly I thought everyone save for a few posters were pretty conservative with this storm. Caution flags were everywhere, and peoples expectations were held accordingly for the most part

Every model has struggled with day to day details. You had anomalous AK ridging with a polar vortex and lack of a strong SE ridge. I think people are giving operational runs way too much of the benefit due to a few years of sucesss. They really should not be held so high beyind 72 hrs out..no matter how successful they are.

We are all spoiled by some exceptional performance for a couple of years.  Now we're seeing the other end of the stick and sometimes getting poked in the eye even in the shorter ranges.

Exactly, and I think many felt the same way. Honestly I thought everyone save for a few posters were pretty conservative with this storm. Caution flags were everywhere, and peoples expectations were held accordingly for the most part

yet some bump their posts like they knew it all along, oh how I pray for a bump NW

I would even love to discuss the fact that the Euro is still significantly farther west than the GFS, and how delicate a setup I truly believe this is once the storm starts making its way up the coast...but I don't want to be called out as being a wishcaster.

We are all spoiled by some exceptional performance for a couple of years.  Now we're seeing the other end of the stick and sometimes getting poked in the eye even in the shorter ranges.

It shouldn't matter....I've seen too many blips even in the most stable of a patterns.

The point being this was never really a big hit for anyone on any solution outside of the Cape and outside of last night's 00z euro solution. The models have done a great job showing this storm for the last nine days. Put away all the hopes and dreams people had for this storm...and models did a decent job overall, especially when you consider how 50 miles means everything. This was not a model bust at all.

This storm has essentially been a long shot for widespread historic NE snows since it showed up on the models.  Hopefully any frustration being felt is less about this particular event and more about weeks of snowy potential wasted because the myriad of moving parts just did not come together atmospherically.  Nothing you can do about it but enjoy the life you live and wait for the next personally exciting weather event.

yet some bump their posts like they knew it all along, oh how I pray for a bump NW

Would be nice lol. I Just don't like being lumped in a category along with 95% of others here, who were pretty bearish and cautious as well, with a few people who were calling for a huge storm. It doesn't do the overall feel (which was cautious) justice

It shouldn't matter....I've seen too many blips even in the most stable of a patterns.

The point being this was never really a big hit for anyone on any solution outside of the Cape and outside of last night's 00z euro solution. The models have done a great job showing this storm for the last nine days. Put away all the hopes and dreams people had for this storm...and models did a decent job overall, especially when you consider how 50 miles means everything. This was not a model bust at all.

The Euro never had these deviant runs 2-3 years ago like it's having this year.  And like the other person said it's then slow to adjust back.   We did get spoiled.

I think it's some of the changes they made last year as much as anything.  This is a tough pattern regardless but it seems like it's been harder than normal for the king.

If this thing does end up 18z GFS'ish, it'll be another pretty big strikeout for the Euro inside of 3 days.  JMHO.  That's TBD.

The Euro never had these deviant runs 2-3 years ago like it's having this year. And like the other person said it's then slow to adjust back. We did get spoiled.

I think it's some of the changes they made last year as much as anything. This is a tough pattern regardless but it seems like it's been harder than normal for the king.

If this thing does end up 18z GFS'ish, it'll be another pretty big strikeout for the Euro inside of 3 days. JMHO. That's TBD.

It would also be a pretty big strikeout for the 06z GFS. And yesterday's UKMET.

The Euro never had these deviant runs 2-3 years ago like it's having this year.  And like the other person said it's then slow to adjust back.   We did get spoiled.

I think it's some of the changes they made last year as much as anything.  This is a tough pattern regardless but it seems like it's been harder than normal for the king.

If this thing does end up 18z GFS'ish, it'll be another pretty big strikeout for the Euro inside of 3 days.  JMHO.  That's TBD.

This one run is a hiccup run. It's had those and so has every other model. It's getting attention now because this storm is modeled to be so intense and so close, but it has happend and will happend again. I went back and looked at the 00z and 12z runs through yesterday and both models weren't far off outside of today's 00z run.

It would also be a pretty big strikeout for the 06z GFS. And yesterday's UKMET.

It may be different down where you are, but up here it's been relentless for days.  Note the headline

"Blizzard conditions, heavy snow possible from midweek storm"     This has been going on from every outlet, every source for days.  Like I said there are districts that have already postponed their standardized tests this week that may not see an inch. 

http://www.wcvb.com

I don't consider the UKMET a reliable model.  IMO as useful as the JMA.

This one run is a hiccup run. It's had those and so has every other model. It's getting attention now because this storm is modeled to be so intense and so close, but it has happend and will happend again. I went back and looked at the 00z and 12z runs through yesterday and both models weren't far off outside of today's 00z run.

Euro I thought was still .4 or .6 in Boston?  Or did I read an old runs report?

Archived