joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm bummin. Had unusual pain in my leg last couple days but only in a sitting position. Became burning and unmanageable so I went and saw my doc today. Appears a ruptured or herniated disc is in my future. Sciatic nerve is being constricted somehow.

I've had some manageable back pain since a football injury in the 80's. Never that bad and never went to a doc because I knew how to make it go away when it flared. Apparently you're not supposed to do that. MRI next week. I'm becoming bitter Bob by the minute. My post quality will be declining.

Prednisone and knee to chest exercises FTW.

MDstorm

Wednesday March 5 2014

Well today was the day. I finally got that pesky cuspid pulled. It was really not that bad. As a result I did not work out today, I did not get to see the Delaney Valley behind the Rec Center, but I am sure that it still has plenty of snow.

We dropped to 16 last night and topped out at 45 degrees today. The dewpoint was 15 degrees.

The sun melted some snow as expected. We are down to about 60 percent areal snow coverage. Snow depths range from 1 to 3 inches.

I did however get to see the Leninskaya snowfields from afar, they are still looking great. I got to see the Glendale Slope's north facing lawns this afternoon - still looking great with about 3 inches of snow on them and still snow on the Glendale Valley sidewalk.

My lawn is still about 50 percent covered with snow. My north lawn is arctic tundra with 3 inches of snow.

This amounts to our 46th day of snow cover so far this season.

Let's see if we can pull out another day tomorrow. The forecast says the high will be 36 BUT it will likely overshoot well into the 40s. We have fallen to 26 degrees.

I received Stupid Indoor Flooding last afternoon (NO thanks to YOU).

Time to pay the fixers.

Conversely, 3/3 gave me only 4.2 (counting in the i**).

I'm happy to have nothing (given TWO funky feet).

This was the LWX bust forecast:

SHORT TERM /TONIGHT AND MONDAY/...

AS THE SFC FRONT CLEARS OUR SRN BORDER TONIGHT...GULF MOISTURE AHEAD

OF THE APPROACHING WAVE (NOW OVER THE MID-SOUTH STATES) ENTERS FROM

THE WEST AND IT HONESTLY LOOKS TO BE ALL SNOW. HEAVY SNOW AT THAT.

THIS SHOULD CREATE A HEAVY SWATH OF SNOW WEST TO EAST ACROSS THE

CWA. BASED ON 00Z GUIDANCE THIS SWATH WOULD BE FROM PETERSBURG WV TO

ANNAPOLIS AND BE AROUND ONE FOOT. THERE HAS BEEN A SOUTH TREND...SO

THIS HEAVIEST SWATH MAY END UP FARTHER SOUTH. HOWEVER...THERE WAS

SUFFICIENT CONFIDENCE OF MEETING THE CRITERIA OF 5 INCHES (6 INCHES

FOR OUR WRN FIVE COUNTIES) TO ISSUE THE WARNING. AGAIN...A LARGE

AREA SHOULD EXCEED THIS MINIMUM CRITERIA GREATLY. OUR SNOW

PROBABILITIES SUGGEST UP TO 15 INCHES WHICH IS QUITE RARE FOR

MARCH...BUT LOOKING MORE LIKELY!

:unsure:

Regarding the Southeast snow/ice/sleet/rain storm

Am I missing something or are DT's snowfall amounts COMPLETELY overdone? He's calling for 8-12" of snow in western NC and extreme SW VA. He must be looking at WeatherBELL's snow maps, because the EURO (and others) are only below freezing at the surface, so it would most likely just be freezing rain.

Thoughts?

https://www.facebook.com/WxRisk/photos/a.148807335166533.25889.129478830432717/656962027684392/?type=1&theater

Let the folks in the SE worry about their own snow. I think we are finished, or almost, here.

Yeah. It's hard to believe we will get anything from here on out. The medium/long range has some interesting looks and we can't completely discount them yet, but the "feeling" (some hyper meteorological language) is not good for more winter weather. While prolonged warm weather is not in the near future, it can't be held back for much longer.

Sigh. It was a good winter.

I've never had them before. Can't take one until late but I'm pretty sure flexeril should def not ever be OTC. They're kinda fun. Lol

Flexeril can be pretty potent. I took it after a car accident and I slept half the day...I felt like a zombie. I think I was taking perocet too...

Flexeril can be pretty potent. I took it after a car accident and I slept half the day...I felt like a zombie. I think I was taking perocet too...

I got the baby dose. 5mg. I couldn't do a 10mg. Eek. Other than that I'm on some oral steroids and naproxin. I feel fine during the day now but it catches up. I just want to get the mri over with and know what I'm dealing with. I'm thinking that it's not a big deal. At least I hope it isn't.

I got the baby dose. 5mg. I couldn't do a 10mg. Eek. Other than that I'm on some oral steroids and naproxin. I feel fine during the day now but it catches up. I just want to get the mri over with and know what I'm dealing with. I'm thinking that it's not a big deal. At least I hope it isn't.

Easier said than done, but my philosophy in these types of situations is to always assume the best until/unless you find out for sure. Makes things a lot easier and you won't be as stressed/anxious. Not the easiest thing to do though. ;)

Hope the MRI shows no problem at all, Bob!

God speed tp you brother. Been there done that. Never have needed surgery that god. But I found that of you can strengthen your core. You can really elmiinate a lot of back pain. I have work off ladders for over 30 years painting and doing plaster work. Planks and push ups really do the trick. Good luck man.

MRI is not bad, just a lot of banging by the machine, which they give you ear plugs for, and being in a cacoon

I went to my doc last night and he's ordered me emg nerve conduction studies, upper and lower, due to tingling in arms and legs

I figure it's my cervical spine because it gets better when I add an extra pillow or 2 to keep my head high

just consider the alternative...

EDIT: I don;t have the pain, so I'm lucky from that point but when it gets hard to walk or lift your legs, it's more than a little troubling

I have seen them before... and its probably because he was headed that way/lives out that way

I thought that too but I didn't hear them say that on the Baltimore station tonight, but maybe that didn't have that info at the time

the story was, in case you hadn't heard it, was that the mother was remarried and her current husband was in jail for child molestation (presumably the daughter)

I said to my wife that when the father found out he probably went over there to take the child out of the home and it turned very ugly, but that's just a hunch

Thursday March 6 2014

Today is the day after my tooth extraction. All is going well but I decided not to work out today again in order to give the extraction site's blood clot a good chance to get well established. Thus, I did not get to see Delaney Valley today.

But it was cloudy today with highs only around 34. The dewpoint was 23. The areal coverage of the snow declined by only 5 percent or so and I still have snow on 60 percent of my yard so its safe to assume that the north facing lawns on Glendale Slope, the Leninskaya Slope, and Delaney Valley all still have at least an inch or two of snow. There may or may not be snow left on the sidewalk in Glendale Valley.

This was an excellent day for snow cover, particularly when you consider the fact that it is March 6!

One year ago today, Dale City got 3.5 inches of snow from a snowstorm! It was wet paste but it was fun. This winter we have gotten nearly FOUR TIMES AS MUCH SNOW as we did last year!!!

Today makes 47 DAYS of snow cover so far this winter!!!

What can I say, but WOW!!!!!!

Let's see if we can pull out another day of snow cover tomorrow, and perhaps yet another day on Saturday from snow left on north slopes despite highs in the low 60s that day.

Friday March 7 2014

Today we topped out at 44 degrees. We lost more areal coverage, we are down to about 20 percent areal snow coverage. The snow in north facing areas is 1-2 inches deep. I did not get out today either, because of the recent tooth extraction, but I can tell from all the snow on my north lawn, that there is still snow on the north facing lawns of the Glendale Slope, on Leninskaya, and very likely still some snow in Delaney Valley.

That makes this the 48th day of snow cover this winter.

Tomorrow I will get to check on the different areas, but it will be very mild with temps that I expect will spike sharply into the mid 60s. These conditions will burn the remaining snow to hell and back.

This has been one heck of a very good winter for both snow and cold. I do NOT want it to end!

MRI is not bad, just a lot of banging by the machine, which they give you ear plugs for, and being in a cacoon

I went to my doc last night and he's ordered me emg nerve conduction studies, upper and lower, due to tingling in arms and legs

I figure it's my cervical spine because it gets better when I add an extra pillow or 2 to keep my head high

just consider the alternative...

EDIT: I don;t have the pain, so I'm lucky from that point but when it gets hard to walk or lift your legs, it's more than a little troubling

After having a dozen mri's I've grown to like the T3 machines...much less time in the tube and great image quality.

Mri would be the gold standard study for what you are describing, not the emg. That tingling in your arms is either from central canal stenosis or nerve root foraminal stenosis in your cervical spine. My guess would be c5/6 or c6/7 based on your description.

Leg issues can be from cervical spine but usually from lumbar. I'd push for mri's in both locations.

The Euro and GFS models are so worthless past 2 or 3 days. Unbelievable that we can land a man on the moon( supposedly) , but cant create a decent forecast model. Next weeks storm is probably rain, but flipping a coin would be just as good as these computerized pieces of crap.

I would argue that predicting the weather is more challenging than landing a man on the moon... At least with moon you kinda know most of the variables going in.  With modeling they are probably only sampling like less than 1% of the atmosphere.. and that being said there is still generalized chaos.  

Archived