• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

NWS Blacksburg's page is same way, been like that a couple of days and loading really S L O W L Y.

there's a problem with the eastern region servers apparently (via NWS contact). some of LWX climate pages won't load etc. 

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In MD, the State denied AA Co. a waiver for 5 days of the school year due to snow. The school year is currently slated to end on June 23rd.

AACPS took the easy route of just adding days at the end of the school year instead of looking at other ways (adding time to the day, eliminating professional days, less Spring Break Days). State of MD said they would look at each jurisdiction by case by case basis and how each jurisdiction was trying to add more instruction time.

I agree. I thought it was a bad call. Michigan was in the middle of an epic choke but somehow made it. 

The games tonight have been great. Can't wait for Sunday. Hard to believe that after so many changes for the program the boys are one win away from another Final Four. The Sweet 16 was my expectation after the conf tourney run, so anything at this point is gravy.

They're on a tear right now.

And Kentucky gets every call their way, going back to the 2nd half of the Wichita st game. Or maybe I'm biased since I can't stand them. ;)

I couldnt find the right thread... but a couple of people mentioned that this year was better than 2009-2010.. might have been Zwytz.  A handful of people also said that they liked that March ~20 degree and snow event better than the February HECs.  

Anyone who says anything like that is a liar.  Just stop.  The February HECs put this year on the map.  That was the best event this year.  2009-2010 and 2002-2003 were both better than this year. 

also... everyone on this board would take a winter with only one 30 inch event over this winter if they had to chose.  

here is an example- 

Favorite Event:  3/16-17

Most Overrated: 2/12-13

Liar

Please just stop lying.  

I couldnt find the right thread... but a couple of people mentioned that this year was better than 2009-2010.. might have been Zwytz. A handful of people also said that they liked that March ~20 degree and snow event better than the February HECs.

Anyone who says anything like that is a liar. Just stop. The February HECs put this year on the map. That was the best event this year. 2009-2010 and 2002-2003 were both better than this year.

also... everyone on this board would take a winter with only one 30 inch event over this winter if they had to chose.

here is an example-

Favorite Event: 3/16-17

Liar

Please just stop lying.

Shut up.

You don't get to give others their opinion.

Please just stop posting.

I couldnt find the right thread... but a couple of people mentioned that this year was better than 2009-2010.. might have been Zwytz.  A handful of people also said that they liked that March ~20 degree and snow event better than the February HECs.  

Anyone who says anything like that is a liar.  Just stop.  The February HECs put this year on the map.  That was the best event this year.  2009-2010 and 2002-2003 were both better than this year. 

here is an example- 

Liar

Please just stop lying.  

1) The February "HECs" wasn't actually a HECS for most people's backyards, so it's perfectly reasonable for some to like the March 17 storm better

2) How about you STFU and stop calling people liars and presuming to know what kind of winter they prefer. You don't speak for anyone but yourself so if anyone is a liar, it's you! You're a horrible poster and this board would be a better place if you just shut up, so remember: Read more and post less.

Reading the niño thread reminds me of that young pro forecaster from the eastern days that was doing his own research in the area of long-term forecasting. Does anyone remember his name or what happened to him?

Was it StormchaserChuck? 

Not sure what happened to him or whether he's still interested in weather

here is an example- 

Liar

Please just stop lying.

If you like your snow melting at an inch per hour, 2/13 was for you. I, however, do not. 1/21 was my favorite event due to the EXTREME cold afterwards. Nothing beats walking around in 8" of snow with a -10 degree windchill.

I almost forgot about 12/8. That may be the best... 6" of surprise snow. 2"/hr for a time.

How long does it take jalepeno seeds to sprout? We planted them inside in containers ~2 weeks ago and nothing so far. The tomatoes and morning glories are all coming up.

Did you wake them up with the damp paper towel thing first?

Eta: jalapenos take 3-5 weeks to germinate and pop up. The wake up trick won't save much time. I've had bad luck planting hot peppers from seed.If they don't get going they are widely available as seedlings in a few weeks. Home depot usually has a nice selection of hot pepper seedlings.

Eta: jalapenos take 3-5 weeks to germinate and pop up. The wake up trick won't save much time. I've had bad luck planting hot peppers from seed.If they don't get going they are widely available as seedlings in a few weeks. Home depot usually has a nice selection of hot pepper seedlings.

Ok, then I'll stay patient.  No, didn't "wake them up".  Yeah, I might go to seedlings if this doesn't work. 

Yeah...peppers of all kinds (and especially hot ones) are pretty stingy about showing themselves. Even Round here, it'll take them until we into July to really start taking off. Some early jalapeños can do better, but I almost never get a pepper harvest of any sort until August (though they do come in hot and heavy from that point on).

Yeah...peppers of all kinds (and especially hot ones) are pretty stingy about showing themselves. Even Round here, it'll take them until we into July to really start taking off. Some early jalapeños can do better, but I almost never get a pepper harvest of any sort until August (though they do come in hot and heavy from that point on).

Yea, as a rule of thumb, hot peppers of all varieties are a late season harvest. Aug-oct.

There is one breed of jalapeno called "early" from the nursery I order from. It will start kicking out pods pretty quick in June and they are pickable in July. I always get a couple of those because I'm an impatient addict.

Some of the thin skinned small Thai styles are pickable in July but. The hot and heavy havest is late Aug-sept.

Yea, as a rule of thumb, hot peppers of all varieties are a late season harvest. Aug-oct.

There is one breed of jalapeno called "early" from the nursery I order from. It will start kicking out pods pretty quick in June and they are pickable in July. I always get a couple of those because I'm an impatient addict.

Some of the thin skinned small Thai styles are pickable in July but. The hot and heavy havest is late Aug-sept.

I'm right with you, Bob. I've decided to forego bell peppers this year because the return is far too small given the amount of time need to get a single fully ripe pepper. For me, hot peppers are the way to go, even if that means waiting most of the summer for them to come around.

I'm not exactly sure what peppers I'll be planting thi shear, but likely some combination of jalapeños, habaneros, Anaheims, and maybe something else. I've got lots of other stuff already in or soon to be going in - garlic, onions, beets, spinach, peas, carrots, tomatoes, green beans, and herbs - so I've got my plate full of gardening for the next 4-6 weeks, for sure.

I'm right with you, Bob. I've decided to forego bell peppers this year because the return is far too small given the amount of time need to get a single fully ripe pepper. For me, hot peppers are the way to go, even if that means waiting most of the summer for them to come around.

I'm not exactly sure what peppers I'll be planting thi shear, but likely some combination of jalapeños, habaneros, Anaheims, and maybe something else. I've got lots of other stuff already in or soon to be going in - garlic, onions, beets, spinach, peas, carrots, tomatoes, green beans, and herbs - so I've got my plate full of gardening for the next 4-6 weeks, for sure.

I eat all my thick skinned hots (jalaps, serranos, etc) fresh. I grill roast jalapenos along side a nice steak and it's off the charts.

I dry a lot of peppers too and grind them for the shakers. Tabasaco and thai style pods are awesome for that. They are prolific plants as well. If you see either a tabasco or thai hot seedling at a nursery or home depot definitely pick them up. They both make outstanding powder to heat up anything. And for me that's everything except breakfast cereal. lol

I eat all my thick skinned hots (jalaps, serranos, etc) fresh. I grill roast jalapenos along side a nice steak and it's off the charts.

I dry a lot of peppers too and grind them for the shakers. Tabasaco and thai style pods are awesome for that. They are prolific plants as well. If you see either a tabasco or thai hot seedling at a nursery or home depot definitely pick them up. They both make outstanding powder to heat up anything. And for me that's everything except breakfast cereal. lol

I eat jalapeños in all kinds of ways. I just pickled some for the first time last year - they were phenomenal. I also can salsa, so I use jalapeños and habaneros for that. I've dried various hots, as well, and have made chili powder from it. I'm into the idea of drying out Anaheims to make New Mexico-style sauces.

I know most here are winter lovers, but this is my time of year...

Archived